1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by fergus, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Plenty of threads about cholesterol effect on lchf diet.
    Search..... lipids. On this forum. Read even old ones, maybe those first as things have been tested more so more data out. Health unlocked website has some good reading.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. paulins

paulins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My GP alerted me to the ND in the first place then supported me through it. He had just read the first paper in a medical journal. It is so important to get support. My husband made me amazing meals with the vegetable allowance and lots of soups. I still have soup for lunch every day. And yes, it is so much harder to lose weight as we get older.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Hansenguy62

Hansenguy62 · Well-Known Member

Great story.so pleased for you. Im starting out just need to know what to eat and what not to eat. Maybe give me an example day of food u ate so i can start structuring my plan too. Please?

• Like Like x 1
  4. KathyCP

KathyCP Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hi, sorry about the delay in replying, i've been away so haven't been on the forum. i tend to eat two meals a day, unless i have an early start, then i eat three. but i always make sure i leave at least 5 hours between finishing one meal and starting the next (though my second meal often goes on for quite a while). breakfast is usually half an avocado with a bit of salt, some salad stuff (cucumber, tomato, raw carrots) with some fish (mackerel or salmon) or a couple of boiled eggs, and sometimes a couple of pieces of cheese. about twice a week i have scrambled eggs, cooked either with smoked salmon or with onions, sweet peppers and cheese. occasionally i'll have a lidl high-protein roll with butter and marmite instead of the fish or eggs. i finish off breakfast with a bowl of full-fat yoghurt with some chopped up fruit - apple, pear or berries - and a handful of nuts. you have to experiment to see which fruits push up your sugar levels - i'm fine with apples and pears, but i know not everyone is. it's a really good idea to buy a meter and monitor your levels a couple of hours after eating, as we all seem to react slightly differently to different foods.

i often eat a handful of nuts 5-6 hours after i've finished breakfast, and maybe a piece of cheese with a gherkin or some olives, and then make a meal a bit later. my second meal tends to be lentils or tofu with vegetables, or a kidney bean salad. occasionally i'll just have a tub of hummus and raw carrots and celery, which i find very filling. i usually have more yoghurt, fruit and nuts to finish off.

it's probably pretty obvious that i don't spend much time in the kitchen - so if you need more filling/more interesting meals, if you look in the food section of the forum you should find lots of ideas. or start a thread in the diabetes discussion forum, asking for advice - there are lots of people on this site who will be able to give you some ideas. you may have gathered also that i don't eat meat or poultry, so obviously if you do, then you have a much wider range of options when it comes to adding protein to each meal. hope this has been helpful, good luck with it all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Hansenguy62

Awesome reply. Very helpful. Experimenting with snacks and fruit too but love salmon chicked and turkey. Salads and mixed veg stirfry and shrimp. Oats and more oats all week for breakfast

6. KathyCP

watch out for the oats, they can really push sugar levels up - although they are classed as relatively low carb, they still contain a substantial amount - so probably a good idea to test and see what they do to your levels if they are a staple for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hansenguy62

Yes they doi really love themand i have no spikes

• Like Like x 1
  8. KathyCP

oh life can be unfair!!! i love oats but i can't eat them .... :depressed:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Hansenguy62

Lol bless. Ill mine and thinl of u lol. Just trial and error right now for me. I feel blackberries raise mine a little

10. KathyCP

yep, we're all different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. catharsis

catharsis Type 2 (in remission!) · Newbie

Two pictures tells more than a million word... My diabetes story:
    Metformin from 2003 to end of 2011, now without drugs.

Blood.png AIP.png

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #551 catharsis, Dec 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Welcome to the forum @catharsis - nice graphs and well done on the HbA1c reduction! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. David J Clark

David J Clark Type 2 · Member

Hi all. I can certainly recommend the LCHF/keto approach. I have been Type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, and for 12 of those years I have been insulin dependant. 19 weeks ago, my partner proposed that we should adopt a new Lifestyle.................and our journey started. This change was primarily to remove insulin from my life, if possible. Well 19 weeks later, I have lost 44 pounds in weight...........and more importantly my Doctor has removed insulin from my repeat prescriptions totally and reduced my Metformin by 50%. Here are my before and now pictures........................................my journey continues.

IMG_1704 (002).JPG IMG_1706 (002).JPG

• Winner Winner x 16
    • Like Like x 8
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Wow @David J Clark a totally amazing transformation.. very well done indeed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You look 10 years younger!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Amazing results. Well done

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

It’s a miracle! Congratulations!!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. NewTD2

Which insulin were you given for so long?

19. David J Clark

David J Clark Type 2 · Member

Hi NewTD2. I was on Nova Rapid and Lantus for the whole of the 12 years. The problem was, as time went on, I seemed to need more and more to achieve the correct Blood Sugar readings on a daily basis. This was one of the factors that convinced us that the LCHF/Keto was the correct way to proceed.
    Another positive thing for me since my initial post the other day, is that the DVLA has now accepted that I am no longer Insulin Dependant and have consequently taken me off of the need to re-apply for my driving Licence every three years.
    Amazingly, this has all happened over the span of just under 20 weeks, I real wish that I knew what I know now 20 years ago.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  20. NewTD2

It’s amazing you’re no longer taking insulin.

Could it be a misdiagnosis?

Are the doctors sure you’re T2?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook