Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low Carb Rock n Roll.

stuffedolive said:
. . . mostly porridge and beer! .. .
You've got to inject some good stuff into life :D

Yay! One more rock n rollin' result for low carb lifestyle.

When I was diagnosed in March last year last year HbA1c was 167 (17.4%). I already had a "healthy" diet but it certainly wasn't low carb.

After lots of research and a ton of good advice in here I started low carbing. Generally below 130 and very often below 50. Any lower than 50 for more than a few days and I was very lethargic. Didn't pass either so reckon 50 is my lower limit.
July 2012 105 (11.8%)
December 2012 59.0 (7.5%)
July 2013 43.0 (6.1%)
Today it's 40 (5.8%)

I had a heart attack in July and have been battling back to fitness so had my doubts how good the numbers would be today and must say I'm bloody delighted! As is my DN. One of her students is using my case as part of her disertation - I think (hope) the lesson she's learning is that everyone's diabetes is different, as are peoples approach to it. Both my daughters have been through disertation agonies so only too happy to help.

Cheers, John

Reactions: 5 people

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Well done John (Signs), keep it up!
I'm now awaiting my October test, which I had to battle for. They didn't want to do it after the improvements I made last time!

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just to add that I couldn't do this by calorie counting - I had tried before - but carb counting made it really easy!

slimbloke

Hi,

Just to say I started doing the low carb "lifestyle" last week and I have had some amazing results. My blood sugars prior to starting were averaging mid 8's - I test first thing when I wake up prior to any food or drink. Within two days of starting the low carbs, I was in the high sixes and this morning I recorded a 5.3! I should also add that today I am full of cold, which I would expect to push up my mmol levels(?). As others have reported, I feel good (apart from the runny nose), less tired and feel full after my evening meal - certainly not the nagging hunger that I always had before starting this - which btw I'd eventually give into and then beat myself up after! Hopefully the pounds will start coming off too, as I'd like/need to lose 1.5-2.5 stone.

I am type 2 (diagnosed in 2008) and on Metformin and more recently (April 2013) Gliclazide. The reason for the gliclazide is that I work away from home a great deal during the week, and I was, basically up until Feb 13 out of control in what I'd eat and drink. When I did get check in February, this year, my HBA1c was in the mid teens! Since then I have been trying all manner of things suggested by the NHS (even went on a four weekly session Juggle course) and generally getting pretty depressed about the whole thing. Nothing seemed to be working or if it did the results were painfully slow and I'd feel rubbish. I only found this site recently (I've been lurking a lot) and having read the forums, especially around low carbs, I decided that I had to give it a try. Obviously it is still early days, but I haven't felt this good in ages - and I even have a cold!

My HBA1C test is booked for a couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see the results (although my recent diet changes may be too late to make a difference, or will they?)

Cheers

Slim

Reactions: 4 people

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hope it goes well Slim - good luck!

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
May not be able to fill in all those stats that was stated at the beginning of this thread but low carbing has been wonderful for me.
Diagnosed quite a few years ago T2 no meds. (must find out exactly when as I am often being asked that)
Weight 226lbs in April 2010
Lost 30lbs that year by calorie counting then stalled all of 2011 and 2012.
Started low carbs Jan. 2013 (daily amount around 60) and am now down to 185lbs .. very slow but grateful that at least it's moving!
Last visit to Db clinic nurse was very surprised that all my stats were extremely good and could almost be classed as non DB!
Sorry I can't be more specific about all the data you wanted but thought it was worth noting how well low carbing has been for me.

Just found some data that may be useful
Bp last year 140/80 .. this year 131/77
Chol. " " 6.7 ... " . . " " 5/7
Db control aim 50 ... " . " 44

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I just had to post. I'm SO happy. All because I peed on a stick and it turned, not slightly pink, but deep red! I've been low carbing since july last year, and from july to dec lost 2 and a half stone. I was so pleased. But since dec no matter what I tried I couldn't seem to lose any more. However this week I seem to have cracked it! Cant wait to lose another 2 and a half stone or more!

Timing couldnt be worse, I've got my works Christmas meal tomorrow night. I will be good and leave the melba toast and crackers and potatos alone. For dessert I had gone for cheese platter so it's all good. Instead of diet coke I'll drink bottled water, the boss is paying!

I just wanted to post to give anyone else struggling hope that if you keep on trying and don't give up, we can get there.

hopefully with more weightloss my BG will ho even lower. But mainly it'll be an excuse to buy new smaller clothes next year! :)

ianup

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A little bit of a devils advocate.. but food for thought. I've been a low-carber for 5 years, with a fair degree of fat consumption in the evening meal. I have a BMI of 25.5, and am 42 years old.

I'm fairly certain my prediabetes has been caused by two things while being on a low-carb diet:
One is that I was a habitual breakfast skipper. This is a major no-no. Eating lots of fats first thing in the morning seems to drop my blood sugars and keep them low through the day. The second thing is eating a lot of fats for the evening meal. This seems to contribute to poor glucose readings in the morning. So while low-carb is important, what you eat when is also extremely important! It is possible eating a low carb without consideration of time of day could be nearly as dangerous as eating a high-carb diet.

That is why it is not so simple as to say low carb works or doesn't. Of course it works, but you must consume your fats at the beginning of the day and have limited fats at night. Even cheating with carbs in the evening *may* be acceptable to a degree, just not for breakfast or lunch. This also assumes that a healthy diet (be it low carb or higher-carb) includes generous amounts of nutritious fruits, vegetables, and fiber.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

edickturpin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We have endless debates and arguments about what constitutes a healthy diet. It seems one man's carb is another man's poision.
One common concern, however, is that newly diagnosed visitors will get mixed messages from the conflicting opinions. I have therefore decided that it's time for a wee census. I know of many members who have gained control of their condition by adopting a low(er) carb diet, but then found no further use for the forum, taken their normal blood sugars and disappeared. I would like us to gather statements from diabetics who have found success by restricting their carbohydrate intake, by whatever amount.
So please let us know if you have succeeded in managing your diabetes by restricting your carbs.
If you can supply before and after figures for diet, blood sugar readings, HbA1c, weight, weight or lipids it will all help to build a picture of how real people are getting on.
Oh, and the arguments won't be tolerated here but can be continued elsewhere!

All the best,

fergus

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hba1c down from 66 in January to........ wait for it....... 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost fell over with shock. I think I can say LCHF works for me!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have just had a BG result below 5! I'm on very low carbs - usually below 30g daily, always below 50g, and have been so for about 4 weeks. Before this my results were always about 7.5 to 10+ and sometimes 13+ after breakfast. I had given up.

Then I got a cataract and it was an excellent reminder that I did have a problem after all. As complications go it is really benign so I've been lucky.

I'd tried LCHF before but not persisted due to feeling so rough. This time I planned ahead and made contingency plans in order to avoid giving in again. I have started with a few simple recipes and included meals which i would usually have made anyway only in a low carb version. I have also avoided the use of sweeteners and have not made any of the ersatz things like 'bread'. This way I have kept from being disappointed and feel less deprived than I might have done otherwise.

My goal was to control my blood sugar and it is working so well that I barely measure them now. I also find I no longer have to keep recording what I eat although that will obviously change as I add greater variety. I have even lost some weight - 10lbs so far.

I really was a major carb junkie before but somehow, despite my daughter repeatedly eating crisps, pizza, toast, chocolate next to me, I haven't felt seriously tempted (yet). I really cannot speak more highly of this as a way to get in control. Now all (!) I have to do is stick at it.

For me there is only really one drawback - the bowel problem. When I find a way to sort that out I shall be made.

BTW if you read around and realise that the NHS assumption that we will all deteriorate gradually is not necessarily true then I think that helps.

Sorry I don't have any HbA1c results to share - my surgery doesn't give them to me for some reason. However my iPad graphs look amazing!

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done.. You must be thrilled to get a 5 reading!

You are entitled to a print of all your blood tests... Our Practice actually has a notice up saying it is the Patients responsibility to get their results.... Our receptionists do it, no need to see anybody else.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apple cider vinegar - one tablespoon or so in water before bed seems to loosen things up a bit. It tastes disgusting mind - my wife loves it, wierdo, oh hello dear. ;)

poorleen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being incapacitated
I was wondering where I can find apple cider vinegar. Is it available in supermarkets? Thanks in anticipation.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Healthfood shops stock it. Holland and Barrett's do, but it's perhaps cheaper in other shops.

Reactions: 2 people