LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

nadika80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Success stories

Well, since I suggested this thread, I suppose I had better go first. Apologies to those of you who have heard it before.

I have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years. For the first 20 of those I had gradually worsening health - increasing blood glucose, insulin use, hypoglycemia attacks and weight. I followed an approved diet based around starchy carbohydrates and low in fat.
In 2000 I began trying to reverse my decline by restricting carbohyrates in my diet and replacing them with more meat, fish, vegetables, eggs, dairy foods and nuts, although I received no encouragement from my doctors in using this approach. The results have been remarkable.

2000: HbA1c 7.6%, BMI 29, HDL 1.7, LDL 2.4, triglyceride 0.7, daily insulin use ~80 units

2008: HbA1c 4.7%, BMI 22, HDL 3.1, LDL 1.8, triglyceride 0.5, daily insulin use ~ 20 units

I have always tried to look after myself, staying physically active and working hard. I have never consciously reduced my calorie intake. I believe all diabetics should be made aware of the potential benefits of such a diet before deciding how to deal with their condition.

fergus
Excellent Fergus thank you. very encouraging. Why are doctors still insist on carbs?????
I myself have noticed my BS goes up if I eat carbs

Reactions: 2 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed Type 2 4 years ago and advised to follow a high carb low fat diet by my GP. I put on a lot of weight and had constant high levels ranging between 16mmols and 16mmols. Felt ill all the time.

Although i dont post a lot on the forums i have been reading them a lot! I started to follow the LCHF diet on Monday utilizing all the advice and recipes here. I am pleased to report that as of yesterday my BGL is now 6.2mmols 2 hours after food.....i have lost 8lbs!

I was on 20mg of high bp medication and had to call the GP this morning to request 10mg as my BP was too low!!

I will be continuing on this new healthy path! I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone here for the guidance and recipes....i could not have done this without you. I will post updates Thank you guys so much!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@NurseDee Well done on the reductions in blood sugar level and weight. Keep up the good work, and let us know how you are getting on.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
NurseDee you will be amazed at how well you feel.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed Type 2 4 years ago and advised to follow a high carb low fat diet by my GP. I put on a lot of weight and had constant high levels ranging between 16mmols and 16mmols. Felt ill all the time.

Although i dont post a lot on the forums i have been reading them a lot! I started to follow the LCHF diet on Monday utilizing all the advice and recipes here. I am pleased to report that as of yesterday my BGL is now 6.2mmols 2 hours after food.....i have lost 8lbs!

I was on 20mg of high bp medication and had to call the GP this morning to request 10mg as my BP was too low!!

I will be continuing on this new healthy path! I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone here for the guidance and recipes....i could not have done this without you. I will post updates Thank you guys so much!!!
HiNurse Dee,welcome
And keep posting,glad your here,let us know how your getting on.clive

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
I have type 2 diabetes I went on a diet 12 months ago and my weight has gone from 16 stone 3 lbs to 14 stone 2 lbs my blood sugar was in the high teens! Yesterday 2 hours after my lunch it was 5.5 my best ever! Although I thought I was on a LCHF diet I now believe my carbs allowance was to high because my blood sugar readings have been averaging around the 8.0, which I was quite pleased about but looking at some of the readings on the forum I knew I could do better than 8.0. So last week I reduced my daily carb allowance to 50 or below and boy what a dramatic difference, so I would like to thank everyone for their input into the forums it has been a great help to me and many other's i'm sure

Reactions: 10 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Viv0147
Mate I am still on this path as well and I love to celebrate the milestones along the way. Wow you are about to become a 13 stoner!!! Keep it up
Cheers

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First A1c & first lipid panel since my triple whammy diagnosis (diabetes, Hashimoto's, and Vitamin D deficiency)

In 158 days:

Weight: from 197.3 lbs to 154.4 lbs
A1c: from 7.2% to 5.7% (normal)
Cholesterol: from 231 mg/dl to 173 mg/dl (normal)
HDL from 46 mg/dl to an HDL of 55 mg/dl (normal)
LDL: from 151 mg/dl to an LDL of 99 mg/dl (normal)
Trig: from 171 mg/dl to Trig of 94 mg/dl (normal)

(I'd been hoping for an A1c of 5.3% - drat that dawn phenomenon that keeps my BG creeping up until around noon)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: 3 people

Fingers11/2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been told no exercise due to vertigo, my weight is starting to increase even on low carb diet, how do I manage the weight gain.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have been told no exercise due to vertigo, my weight is starting to increase even on low carb diet, how do I manage the weight gain.
The main way would be portion control - limiting the size of different portions of food you eat. The NHS guidelines recommend you eat food portions no bigger than your fist (though you could eat more green leafy veg).

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
My HbA1c is 39 , I'm happy with that considering I went off the rails a couple of months ago

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
Just wanted to say how delighted I am with this LCHF thing! I was diagnosed type 2 on New Years Day with a reading of 20.7. I was on steroids for 3 weeks for another health issue and, during this time I was following standard NHS advice to eat carbs with every meal etc. Ate no processed sugar at all and was gutted when my test at the end of January came back at 12.9. I had been told that the steroids were artificially raising my levels so I was secretly hoping for a dramatic drop in level. I went home and carried on with the same old regime for 2 further weeks then discovered the LCHF diet on here. I started this on 13 Feb and had my blood tested again on 17 March. Went to see my diabetes nurse today for the result and it was 6.7. She said she'd never seen such a dramatic reduction in such a short space of time. She now doesn't want to see me for a year! I've also lost 1 stone and 5 pounds since I started. Thoroughly enjoying the food and the feeling of being well and more energised. Anyone who's struggling please keep going. It's so worth it!