Low Carb Take away

Laconic

T2 low carbing, just wondering if there is any takeaway fast food that would be suitable for a low carb diabetic, work full time sometimes feel like going on just eat..

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I low carb as follows:
Pizza is the only problem as I object to paying for the crust which I don't eat.
Indian - avoid rice and naan breads obviously plus anything bhaji like (batter) which leaves plenty IMO though there may be some sweetness in the sauces. Ditch the popadoms and those sweet dipping sauces.
Chinese - simple dishes made with seafood, vegetables, beef or chicken. Sweet and sour sauces are out as are noodles/rice. You can avoid the rice crackers and the anything with a sweet and sticky sauce.
This book is good as a guide to sugar/carb load for commonly eaten Asian foods:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=world+...1816108&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_3qqsdh58x_e

If I do get dragged into MacDonalds or burger joint then it is easy to get a chicken salad or remove the sugary white bun but go large on the cheeseburger.
I like Lebanese food as a takeaway (lamb, baba ganouch, homous should not do you too much harm).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken Tikka _Indian
Crispy Lamb or Duck _ Chinese
Burgers without buns and fries McD's or BK

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pizza - look up fat head dough. You can keep unused in the fridge in a plastic bag for a few days.

Indian - headbangerskitchen.com for a variety of indian meals and or breads.

Hellmans smoked garlic caesar salad dressing, yummy.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I miss my donner kebabs what about the donner meat with chilli sauce salad an no pitta bread
Perfect
I often have a mixed Kebab no pita, no sauce. I keep my own sauce and salad dressings handy.
Great choice my friend. See you are learning already.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look at making your own sauces and keep them in the fridge/freezer. Taste and test the ones at the takeaway if you wantto.

There are all sorts of things you can make and freeeze, leave to defrost in the fridge until you come come. It's all about finding what you like.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bunless burgers, chicken wings without bread, kebabs with no bread. Or a good old fry up at a greasy spoon.

M

Member496333

I'm actually not all the bothered about the "meat" thing. I prefer plenty of connective tissue and bits that would otherwise be discarded. It's all the good bits of the animal. That said, I don't do takeaways and rarely eat out because, irrespective of carbohydrate, everything is cooked using toxic seed oils :hungover:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sadly, even when you make good choices with take away food, as above, I find the meat, the veg - are a LOT sweeter than they should be, ie there is sugar and flavour enhancers hidden everywhere in take away food. And, restaurant and cafe food.

I find it very sad, as I love food and don't like cooking, and am working fulltime again, so. I was drawn to this thread at the idea there exists a take away outlet, somehow, somewhere, that offers low-carb un-sweetened food.

But super alas - we still seem a way off this? even in highly populated countries like in Great Britain?

I think the US, as in super duper populated, has internet accessible low-carb fare available, and if you live in California with a good internet connection - thumbs up? (I have practically wept with envy when online seeing what I could get take away in groovy places like inland Aspen and the west coast...)

I am resigned to cooking low-carb fare in bulk, as in tripling the fathead pizza dough mentioned above, making one pizza for that meal, one pizza base in the freezer, and delicious cheese stix for immediate post cooking consumption. I cook a marinara sauce in bulk once a week, for konjac root pasta substitute dishes (usually with sardines, or tuna), for a very quick nutritious dinner, with premade bought salad and coleslaw packs with no sugar gherkins and mayo or aioli (I throw out the dressings they come with). High meat sausages are a godsend, but not so quick if baking them in the oven.

Otherwise - sausage rolls minus the pastry at cafes, bunless burgers hold the condiments, and yes the good old stand by - the mixed grill minus bread, hash browns etc.

But I look forward to the day when low-carb take aways and cafes etc, and online low-carb food procurers are the norm! In every reasonably populated place.