Lower blood sugars, broken nose dislocated shoulder , cautionary tale .

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
since diagnosis I have been walking much , much more. I also seem to have become a little unsteady on my feet. I think this might be that my body is simply not used to operating in the 5-6 range. Last night minor stumbles were replaced by a major fall.
Walking home along the Embankment, after seeing the new Jack Reacher movie ( don't bother to go lol its bad ). I tripped after one of Charlie Chaplin type runs where you are trying desperately to keep upright I fell flat on my nose breaking it in the process.

After half an hour of trying to recover enough to go home to bed, I realised that A & E was required. At that point it became clear that I had dislocated my right shoulder and fractured my clavicle.

Substantial laughing gas and two shots of morphine were nowhere near enough to prevent my screams when the doctors manipulated it back into place. I think I probably woke all the patients and a few in the nearby cemetery!

On the plus side my blood pressure went down to 104/59 a level not seen by me , my blood sugars remained at 9.3 for the entire duration ( 5.9 before I fell over)

I took the opportunity to educate the entire A& E department about LCHF and after the inevitable - oh that's dangerous, they tested my ketone level which is 3. Ideal for weight loss. A couple of them took notes to pass onto friends who are diabetic.

I guess the takeaway from this is that everyone who is walking more with rapidly reducing blood sugars needs to take extra care.
Finally I bought a standing desk a while ago, but have not yet got round to using it. It turns out that is at the ideal position to rest my sling !

Onwards and downwards lol

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear about your accident @CherryAA, that sounds painful. I hope you aren't in too much pain today. Well done though for seizing the opportunity to educate some HCPs about LCHF! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG. I feel your pain. Well, perhaps not quite. I've never had broken bones and a dislocation at the same time, but the 'correction' can be awful even without a broken collar bone to go with it.

Am impressed your bg didn't go higher, and triply impressed that you were in a fit state to educate all those staff.

Take care of yourself! A shock like that can take a while to get over, so be gentle with yourself.

Need a list of LC comfort foods?
My go tos are
LC hot choc
LC cauli mash
chicken soup and, of course
CHEESE!!!

Reactions: abbisoo and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cauliflower mash sounds good !.

So far I've had cheese, bone broth , salmon mayonnaise , avocado, macadamia nuts , brazil nuts and lemon tea, all in small quantities and the bs is down to 7.9 an hur post lunch eating. I'm also sporting two black eyes as well. Very sexy lol.

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
more comfort foods:
scrambled eggs with shredded cheese added,
beef stew
grilled cheese on healthnut bread
warm milk with a sprinkle of cinnamon
and tea of course-make sure you stay hydrated with the pain killers-it's really easy to not take in enough fluids and get dehydrated.

Reactions: abbisoo and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't usually bother with pain killers, I have a high pain threshold whih helps, so just two co-codemol this morning. I am drinking water though and nettle tea.

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh How bad How terrible hope you soon Will be okay again

D

debrasue

more comfort foods:
scrambled eggs with shredded cheese added,
beef stew
grilled cheese on healthnut bread
warm milk with a sprinkle of cinnamon
and tea of course-make sure you stay hydrated with the pain killers-it's really easy to not take in enough fluids and get dehydrated.
Milk ???? :eek: Too carby (lactose)!

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't usually bother with pain killers, I have a high pain threshold whih helps, so just two co-codemol this morning. I am drinking water though and nettle tea.
Nettle tea is rumored to help heal bones and I find it soothing also, I'm glad you found something you like.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my black eyes have become quite spectacular ! blood sugars still in the 8's in the morning but 6.9 now (pre-lunch )which is encouraging. blood pressure still low for now though I'm guessing that's the follow through of the morphine. I held off taking bp medication today, not sure when to resume and its a big faff trying to take it with one hand !

Still not feeling hungry which is good too. No pain meds so that's good too . I am going to get very bored with cookery programs soon.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well my black eyes have become quite spectacular ! blood sugars still in the 8's in the morning but 6.9 now (pre-lunch )which is encouraging. blood pressure still low for now though I'm guessing that's the follow through of the morphine. I held off taking bp medication today, not sure when to resume and its a big faff trying to take it with one hand !

Still not feeling hungry which is good too. No pain meds so that's good too . I am going to get very bored with cookery programs soon.
You're on the mend! Good job taking care of yourself in challenging circumstances.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough at no stage has this accident caused my mind to turn to carbs, I did have few pork scratchings but the temptation to flee to carbs has just gone.

Maybe the keto reading of 3 is sufficiently deep ketosis to enough to get your brain cells away from carbs.

I must admit that particular news was on of the highlights of that evening even if it did concern the doctors. According to Noakes you can only get that far with marathon exercise . Its certainly true that before the accident my ketone level was 1-1.5 I am not sure I would recommend quite suggest a drastic accident as a way to mimic marathon running, tough I do certainly feel like I've done one !

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Funnily enough at no stage has this accident caused my mind to turn to carbs, I did have few pork scratchings but the temptation to flee to carbs has just gone.

Maybe the keto reading of 3 is sufficiently deep ketosis to enough to get your brain cells away from carbs.

I must admit that particular news was on of the highlights of that evening even if it did concern the doctors. According to Noakes you can only get that far with marathon exercise . Its certainly true that before the accident my ketone level was 1-1.5 I am not sure I would recommend quite suggest a drastic accident as a way to mimic marathon running, tough I do certainly feel like I've done one !
Is there a safe place for you to walk nearby-I actually went to the gym to walk laps today because I needed a safe place to walk with my mother after lunch.
Also, I'm totally jealous of the pork scratchings, we call them pork skins or pork rinds, I can't eat them because of cholesterol.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is there a safe place for you to walk nearby-I actually went to the gym to walk laps today because I needed a safe place to walk with my mother after lunch.
Also, I'm totally jealous of the pork scratchings, we call them pork skins or pork rinds, I can't eat them because of cholesterol.

You might want to check out some of the threads about cholesterol. It is pretty clear that dietary fat and cholesterol has little to do with serum cholesterol levels. You might just be convinced to enjoy those pork rinds :D

Reactions: Freema

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@swusa
yes see if you can find Tim Noakes on cholesterol, he pretty much convinced me that my 4.5 as a 50+ woman would be better higher than it currently is, especially my hdl so I'm hoping this diet will make it go up overall not down

Reactions: Prem51

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@swusa
yes see if you can find Tim Noakes on cholesterol, he pretty much convinced me that my 4.5 as a 50+ woman would be better higher than it currently is, especially my hdl so I'm hoping this diet will make it go up overall not down

Thanks Cherry, they also set off a gout attack for me so they just are not on my to eat foods although I do like the taste and crunch of them.