Lowering my HBA1c

Teresa76

Just had my hospital check up today. When I was there in April my HBA1c was 10.1!!! It is now 8.0 and i need to get it down lower... to under 6.5. This is because I want to have a baby. I have to say the doctor was really helpful and gave me loads of advice but I was wondering whether anyone had experience of getting their HBA1c that low? I have never had mine below 7 before... I have to go see the diabetic nurse in 3 weeks and then the doctor again in 10 weeks...

C

catherinecherub

Hi Teresa,

Welcome to the forum.

As a Type2 you might be interested in the advice for newly diagnosed diabetics compiled by previous members here.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Any questions then please ask, someone will always answer.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hiya Teresa,

If you really want to do it, then it is absolutely possible. I managed to get mine down from 10.2% to 5.2% in 3 months, with a little bit of discipline and sacrafice. Everyone's diabetes is different, but there are lots of T2s on here that manage to get their HbA1Cs under 6 (using a variety of different approaches).

The good news is, that you'll probably feel so much better once you managed it, that you'll never want to go back to high BG again.

Good luck.

Stephen

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Apart from the obvious one of having as much exercise as possible, many of us on the forum would say keeping the carbs low and of the right type is esential. Think about what you have at each meal and in between and make sure you read the packaging. Avoid too much bread and pasta etc and have low-GI forms. I hope your doctor didn't give you the all too common NHS advice of eating 'lots of starchy carbs'. Eventually you may have to go onto some medication like I had to within a year of diagnosis and this is quite normal, but a good diet may delay this for quite a while. Good luck.

Teresa76

Well I have been trying hard at this since my hospital appointment and so far so good. My morning BG readings have gone from over 10 most days to under 5.2 and i have only had one reading over 8 at any time.

I do kind of feel like I have zero energy at times though, but in general i feel much better. I just have to hope that my HBA1c is lower when I have it next. Really want to have a baby so this is a massive motivation to sort myself out!!!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Teresa

You've done realy well so far!

While my HbA1c has never been as high as yours was originally, I got it down to 5.6 from 6.5 in 3 months by following the Atkins diet. My version of it (only slightly modified for my diabetes) is posted as a sticky thread at the beginning of the Low-carb diabetes diet forum on here.

Have a look at it. It might not be the right thing for you, but it does work, and it's a good base to start from. I enjoy it, and I'm never short of energy.

Good luck!

Viv 8)

RussG

I got mine down from 13.7 to 5.2 in three months, mainly through lowering my carb intake and pummelling it with insulin :D

You're heading in the right direction though, so keep going!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Teresa76 said:
Well I have been trying hard at this since my hospital appointment and so far so good. My morning BG readings have gone from over 10 most days to under 5.2 and i have only had one reading over 8 at any time.

I do kind of feel like I have zero energy at times though, but in general i feel much better. I just have to hope that my HBA1c is lower when I have it next. Really want to have a baby so this is a massive motivation to sort myself out!!!

If you can keep that sort of effort up, then you'll definately get a great HbA1C (mine is 5.2% and my readings are similar to yours).

Does having low BG make you pregnant? I hope not for my sake...

Teresa76

borofergie said:
Teresa76 said:

If you can keep that sort of effort up, then you'll definately get a great HbA1C (mine is 5.2% and my readings are similar to yours).

Does having low BG make you pregnant? I hope not for my sake...

hahaha.... if only id listened at school then I might know. LOL... i have been told that to have a baby at minimal risk then i need my HBA1c to be 6-6.5% so im aiming for that before aiming to get pregnant!

mrawfell

Well I am confused about mine.It was 5.2% fine 3 months later it was 6.9% A nasty surprise, as I thought I had been a good boy ( 70 ). My strip test results had been OK. My doctor was not put out, saying below 7 is OK. I said I am not happy with it, so she just changed the meds. I live in the Philippines now, so medicine costs are only relevant to me. See what happens. I am struggling to lose weight.

Bardon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, low carbs worked for me.

Oat bran for breakfast, hate breakfast but I make myself.

Raw Veg, apples etc during day, if having a low sugar I might eat a sandwich.

Evening consists of meat and veg.

Cut out pots, pasta, rice, cakes and biscuits.

Lost 2 stone since July 11 and readings mostly between 5 and 6.5.

However if I go out for a meal or away I eat whats on the menu, inc all of the above, I think it does you good to treat yourself providing its for a short time or is that being irresponsible??????

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bardon said:
Lost 2 stone since July 11 and readings mostly between 5 and 6.5.

However if I go out for a meal or away I eat whats on the menu, inc all of the above, I think it does you good to treat yourself providing its for a short time or is that being irresponsible??????

Well done Bardon.

I think it's worth having the occaisional treat. Much better to do that than end up falling off the waggon altogether.

I try my best to low-carb when I'm away on business and have to eat out, but it's difficult to predict what will end up on your plate (ie a nice bit of meat gets covered in a sticky sauce). Most of the time I just eat it.