Lowering the thermostat....

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read with interest the report that Study lead author Professor Wouter van Marken Lichtenbelt, from the Maastricht University in Holland, said: "It has previously been assumed that stable fixed indoor temperatures would satisfy comfort and health in most people." where it is suggested that reducing the thermostat may be good for our diabetes. I normally have mine set to 20º, but have reduced it to 17º to see if it has any positive or negative effects for me personally. Having tested myself on the LCHF diet for just under a year (successfully), I will try this for one month and report any findings back here.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read with interest the report that Study lead author Professor Wouter van Marken Lichtenbelt, from the Maastricht University in Holland, said: "It has previously been assumed that stable fixed indoor temperatures would satisfy comfort and health in most people." where it is suggested that reducing the thermostat may be good for our diabetes. I normally have mine set to 20º, but have reduced it to 17º to see if it has any positive or negative effects for me personally. Having tested myself on the LCHF diet for just under a year (successfully), I will try this for one month and report any findings back here.
Thanks we turn our thermostat down at night, in winter our bedroom has been down to 13. And we sleep well
With forced air heating the house is warm 20 in 10 minutes

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you provide links to both the study you've mentioned and also a quantifying statement that colder temperatures "may be good for our diabetes"?

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks we turn our thermostat down at night, in winter our bedroom has been down to 13. And we sleep well
With forced air heating the house is warm 20 in 10 minutes
If what I am reading is accurate, being warmly tucked up in bed, even with reduced thermostat is not what is intended. I am taking it as being active in the home, using activity only to keep myself warm. It is this activity which is supposedly good for reducing T2 effects. I have been monitoring my daily results for a year, so want to see how they compare after a month.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I am home alone I turn the thermostat down to 16C as I can't bear it to be warmer than that.

Reactions: PNJB

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Our heating is set to 20 degrees too - never have it on over night and always have the window open , even if it's just a smidgin when it's cold .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I reading correctly that some of you keep the heating on overnight?

We are retired so in the house a lot during the day.
Other than very cold days it is only on for 1 or 2 hours in the morning, back on again at 5pm until 10pm.
Off all night from 10pm. Bedroom window open a touch in winter, wider in summer.
Thermo set at 18. Up to 20 on very cold days but Mr. Blue keeps turning it down again.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I reading correctly that some of you keep the heating on overnight?

Yep - mine is set to 21°C from 17:30-07:30 provided I'm at home. It comes back on as soon as it dips below what it's set to. Eco when I'm away (18°C).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep - mine is set to 21°C from 17:30-07:30 provided I'm at home. It comes back on as soon as it dips below what it's set to. Eco when I'm away (18°C).

Blimey. How do you sleep in that warmth?

When we are away ours is switched off completely in the summer, and set to minimum at other times to avoid freezing.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey. How do you sleep in that warmth?

When we are away ours is switched off completely in the summer, and set to minimum at other times to avoid freezing.

Quite comfortably :)

I moved my thermostat out of the hall into the living room when I changed it as it was on a lot more due to temperature dipping constantly. There are days now when the heating doesn't come on much and equally days where I crank it up beyond 21°c:

TDXpYLE.jpg

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Heating on early morning and evening only. Turned off when I go to bed. Old house so not well insulated but is terraced. Dual fuel bill £44 per month last year and going up slightly this year. Turn the heating off completely for 6 months of the year. Don't like feeling cold either (or housework!)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of old people die in Cumbria because they cannot afford to heat inefficienty insulated homes. D
Do they? I've never heard that - do you have a link to that info? I have elderly family in Cumbria - is it a nation wide thing or just particularly Cumbria- if so why Cumbria? They are pretty tough in them there parts :)

Reactions: Ultramum and JimH