MacDonalds refused to give me my food, which I paid for, while likely hypoglycemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have diabetes though I have a very irregular diet. I tend to eat only once a day, usually on the way home from work and later in the evening. That is not however a routine. I eat when compelled to. Though most of the time I eat, I'm not intensely hungry. Being moderately hungry and the chance presenting commuting home is the mainstay for determining when I eat. I only feel a strong hunger every few days or so that causes me to break that habit.

I work a lot, a bit of a workaholic which tends to be a main contributor to this. I've never really established an eating routine other than opportunity and when my stomach decides. My diet has also changed a fair bit over the last couple of months due to my work moving and there being a very different range of options nearby. In the last past year eating on the way home has become more common as going out to eat has become more complex. This has been so for over a year now and I have noticed it may be contributing to feeling irritable or tense regularly for long periods of the day, though taking up coffee for the first time hasn't helped either.

I've gradually become fairly confident that my diet is liable to lead to hypoglycemia (though I don't want to change it otherwise). It's not something I thought might ever apply to me but I have been feeling effects on my mood and state of consciousness that are hard to constantly ignore and I am starting to consider if they might be related to how my diet affects sugar levels.

I've never had a blood sugar monitor available so I cannot say for certain I had hypoglycemia, though the symptoms would fit and there's cause enough for it. None of this describes what happened but provides background for the feasibility of hypoglycemia.

Yesterday around 1900 I ate but only a moderate meal as it was a quick rush job to put down hunger so I could concentrate on something complex and important.

Today I ate two cheese toasties at around 1320. This is unusual but I was hungry and the opportunity presented. At around 1840 I was struck with an intense hunger that effectively pulled me from my seat. I headed out for food. Outside it became hard to expend cognitive energy on finding a food place and what to eat so I opted for the simplest, MacDonalds. My cognition was muddy and weighted down like lead to the point of it feeling it would be too stressful to order from somewhere which would require giving complex instructions (in this case ordering).

I've been there a few times, easily a couple dozen times. I've never caused any trouble. It's a fairly automatic process. Go in, order at the self service machine, wait about two minutes for the food, collect, eat on the way home. It was moderately crowded this time, but not at its most crowded.

I ordered almost entirely on automatic using the self service machine. As usual, in fact as always, the receipt printer didn't work and instead it gave out a number. I noticed on the last steps that my vision was blurry, the number is the only bit that really needs focus. I'm not sure if blurry is accurate. It's more as though my field of vision was constricted or the shutters were down. I didn't find it easy to focus on anything. I almost walked away without checking the number in a daze.

I watched the screen waiting in anticipation. It was in this state you sometimes see where clearly delivered orders had not been satisfied and some strange codes appear that look like glitches. It didn't take too long for my number to come up. The attendant came with two bags, 95 and 96. 95 shifted the guy in front of my out of the way so I approached and said 96 that's mine.

The guy gave me a strange look and said which number. I said 96. He then asked me again. I said 96. He then asked me again. I said clearly 96, nine, six. He then looked at the receipt, stared at it for a while with a strangely concerned and confused look on his face then asked me what was in it. I couldn't actually remember that quickly. My mind was completely blocked. I just blurted out chips because it was one of the things in the order. I wasn't capable of quickly or easily formulating a list in my head. Instead of handing it over, asking me what else, asking if I had the right number or anything like that, he immediately curled up the top, firmly said no as if that was final and rapidly left with food in hand.

I've never seen customer service like that and I was instantly shocked. I told him I would call the police. First I asked to speak to the manager. They completely blanked me. They were treating me like absolute scum, as though I'd picked up someone's order before, stolen it and was trying to do the same here. This has never happened and I'm always fastidious to make sure it's the right order. My orders are fairly consistent to me yet unique with some custom bits. No one else was coming to collect it either. They didn't call out for anyone else with 96, they just said no, denied. At this point I'm livid and trembling. How can they just steal my money refusing goods like that?

A bit later another guy who picked it up again looking very happy and positive saying 96 as he walked towards the counter. For a moment I'm relieved as this guy appears to be normal. I said that's mine as he comes near me his expression and demeanour completely reverses with an almost dumbfounded expression. He hesitates as he sees me, breaking his momentum as if switching from automatic to manual. Again he asks me what's in it. At this point I'm enraged at this treatment like I'm a criminal and shout something like why do you keep bloody asking me that I just want my food? Except at this point I don't want my food anymore. I can't trust people who treat me like this with food. Not that it matters, he does exactly the same as the other guy, says no then takes it back. Some foul creature undeserving of a glance sneered at my reaction. I asked again to speak to the manager and was blanked.

At this point I called the police, I really really urgently needed to eat but the anger was starting to exceed the hunger. They as usual, useless bunch of layabouts, said that it's a civil matter and that I should go beg the chain's customer support and beg for my money back. They asked if I was given a reason, I wasn't. I wouldn't be surprised if the operator didn't believe me because in what world do you pay for your food then just get told no, you can't have it, end of discussion, bye? They're not capable of talking for more than 10 seconds and can only say a set of phrases, numbers or words? It's like talking to machines.

I was so angry I couldn't eat anymore so I went back to work or tried to but ended up starting the process for a SAR and small claims or rather tried to but couldn't concentrate on anything. I called customer support on the off chance they might rectify the situation quickly. They can't handle refunds nor contact the store though were really nice and will send me a voucher as a small token but ultimately can't rectify it fully. The voucher doesn't cover the whole cost. To do that I have to go to the restaurant and talk to the manager except if you ask them that they blank you.

Tomorrow I'm going to go in and demand to talk to the manager. If they don't refund me, then they're going to receive a SAR and will be taken to court to recover both the legal expenses as well as the cost of my meal. The amount is inconsequential. Theft is theft.

I don't want to make this a discussion of necessarily did I have hypoglycemia or not. The point is that I very well could have and food isn't just some luxury. It's something that sustains life, in some situations more urgently than in others. This behaviour isn't merely disgusting in that they took my money and ran but because for some people this kind of dysfunctional behaviour and incompetence could have far more severe consequences.

I can't even comprehend how it's possible for service to be so terrible. I never thought it possible to see something like that in my life time.

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
So, this is all about taking Mcdonalds to court over the cost of a meal?

Reactions: mahola

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So, you've not been diagnosed with Diabetes but you suspect you may be hypoglycaemic and you're angry with the service at McDonalds. How may we help you with this?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm sorry this happened to you but I think I can understand why, at least partially.

When hypo your brain is essentially starved of energy, and as you say it becomes very difficult to be rational. In fact, go low enough and you can start hallucinating, pass out, have convulsions, and even die.

Unfortunately someone suffering from a hypo can behave exactly like someone high on drugs or alcohol, and there are some sad stories about diabetics arrested by police because of this. This is one good reasons why diabetics often have ID (some even get tattoos) to warn that they are on insulin so that hypo confusion is recognised by others. So you probably appeared drugged, whether on alcohol or less legal drugs, to the servers, and they did not want to go near you, specially when you shouted at them and became angry.

You say yourself that you were confused: if it was because of low blood sugar then your memory of the situation is likely to be foggy or even inaccurate.

My recommendation would be to forget about what may or may not have happened at Macdonalds, as by your own admission you are not a reliable witness. You should concentrate on getting medical help for what is causing your symptoms, whether that is low blood sugar or something else. These are not normal symptoms, and they need medical attention. I have no idea whether it's hypoglycemia, psychosis, a brain tumour (hopefully not) or something else, but whatever it is you need treatment sooner rather than later. Please get medical help.

I'm sorry this happened to you but I think I can understand why, at least partially.

When hypo your brain is essentially starved of energy, and as you say it becomes very difficult to be rational. In fact, go low enough and you can start hallucinating, pass out, have convulsions, and even die.

Unfortunately someone suffering from a hypo can behave exactly like someone high on drugs or alcohol, and there are some sad stories about diabetics arrested by police because of this. This is one good reasons why diabetics often have ID (some even get tattoos) to warn that they are on insulin so that hypo confusion is recognised by others. So you probably appeared drugged, whether on alcohol or less legal drugs, to the servers, and they did not want to go near you, specially when you shouted at them and became angry.

You say yourself that you were confused: if it was because of low blood sugar then your memory of the situation is likely to be foggy or even inaccurate.

My recommendation would be to forget about what may or may not have happened at Macdonalds, as by your own admission you are not a reliable witness. You should concentrate on getting medical help for what is causing your symptoms, whether that is low blood sugar or something else. These are not normal symptoms, and they need medical attention. I have no idea whether it's hypoglycemia, psychosis, a brain tumour (hopefully not) or something else, but whatever it is you need treatment sooner rather than later. Please get medical help.

I'll be very, very surprised if the manager doesn't give me a refund tomorrow. The employees will have realised their mistake when no one has come forward to take the food. They've most likely already been talked to. However, given just how bizarre extreme inability to perform a task as simple as serving food to a customer, I can't rule anything out.

My memory is very clear on that. The slightest complication and the guy just said no and stormed off.

This isn't something I need help with. It such a bizarre encounter I had to share it.

Legally speaking, it's an open and shut case. The CCTV shows me going in. The bank record confirms payment. The CCTV sees me leaving without food. They have to come up with a very good explanation for that.

I've ordered a blood sugar monitor so I can see if that's an issue.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
EllieM advised you well. MacDonald's isn't the problem. I also think they wrongly believed you to be a drug addict.

You're not taking proper care of yourself, and haven't been for some time. You need medical attention to get your blood pressure checked and to get some lab tests done. What you described sounds like a hypoglycemic episode, but I'd be more worried about having a stroke. Ten or so years ago, I became so frustrated, over a small but similar injustice, my blood pressure must have spiked, and I burst a blood vessel in my eye. It could have been much worse. I promised myself the next day after being seen by an opthtamologist that I'd never allow myself to become that angry again over a trivial matter, though granted, at the time it didn't feel trivial.

My hope is that you'll eat, get some rest, and upon further reflection will realize that you're pushing yourself to perform beyond what is reasonable and it's endangering your health.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'll be very, very surprised if the manager doesn't give me a refund tomorrow. The employees will have realised their mistake when no one has come forward to take the food. They've most likely already been talked to. However, given just how bizarre extreme inability to perform a task as simple as serving food to a customer, I can't rule anything out.

My memory is very clear on that. The slightest complication and the guy just said no and stormed off.

This isn't something I need help with. It such a bizarre encounter I had to share it.

Legally speaking, it's an open and shut case. The CCTV shows me going in. The bank record confirms payment. The CCTV sees me leaving without food. They have to come up with a very good explanation for that.

I've ordered a blood sugar monitor so I can see if that's an issue.

I don't think your memory is clear, you stated in your opening post that you had a hard time finding a place to eat because your cognitive ability was so impaired. You couldn't remember what you ordered when asked and you seemed to of experienced some kind of weird visual episode when ordering from the machine.

There is a lot of speculation on your part, that is clear. The anger you are expressing is quite clear, threatening to call the police over a Mcdonalds order. I agree with @EllieM

Seeing a doc about your symptoms would be a start. And also the issue with anger. Good luck

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have been hypo, or you may have been experienced another medical condition.
- you need to seek medical attention for advice and a diagnosis.

However, I think you are ignoring (or unaware) of how your own behaviour affected this situation.
MacDonalds employees do not refuse service, ignore customers and argue without a reason. It is their job to stay civil to customers, and tolerate oddness.

So I would suggest that your behaviour came across as a lot more than odd. You may not have been aware of how odd you were. You may have been slurring, lurching, blinking bleary eyed. You may have been thinking that you said '96' but other words or numbers came out of your mouth instead. You may well have looked drunk or stoned.

Focusing on MacDonalds refunding a single meal is not going to resolve the problem - that can only be done when you get medical help for whatever is causing these episodes, and you resolve your eating habits which appear to be very unhealthy.

Unfortunately, bad eating is something that we all think we can get away with. And we do. For years. Until we don't any more, at which point the consequences of irregular high fat, high carb, processed junk food catches up with us, and we get to deal with the consequences. And at that point we usually wish we had taken more notice of the warning signs, and looked after ourselves better.

As a short term coping mechanism until you get a medical appointment, I suggest that you buy some food (preferably not junk food!) on your way into work in the morning, and then eat it before the symptoms start.

Reactions: Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree with @EllieM. I am studying law and there has been a few cases where a diabetic suffering a hypoglycemia has been mistaken for bad social behaviour. Unfortunately there was a guy that was mistaken for being drunk but he was having a hypo and died.
I think you need to focus on getting your health sorted, hypoglycemia isn't a game to play with. If anything, carry a snack or something on you.

Reactions: Tophat1900

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps the staff did suspect that OP was drugged or drunk, but basic training for anyone in public-facing food retail should cover possible hypo behaviour.

Is there a reason someone exhibiting such behaviours couldn't have been spoken to gently by a senior member of staff? Perhaps the restaurant does have some responsibility here.

I agree it's hard to guess what actually happened, but if the staff simply blanked someone in a vulnerable state they need some training in my opinion.

Reactions: 1spuds

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My suggestion is to request the manager to show you the CCTV so that you will know exactly how you behaved - if your behaviour was problematic, I'd also be asking for a copy so that you can show it to a medical practitioner so that they can intepret it for themselves.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I find most irrational is why you would join a diabetes forum specifically to post this. Surely a consumer watchdog type site would be more appropriate.

Reactions: JP808

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Firstly if I am hypo and feeling as 'HANGRY as it seems you were, I'd head for the sugar stash they have and sit down with a few before attempting anything requiring speech and memory.
Secondly, if you eat as erratically as you say you do then it is likely you will get immense swings in blood sugar and as others have suggested this could easily lead to feeling very irritable, angry and even irrational. You say you don't want to change so I would keep a bottle of lucosade on standby or checking your blood glucose to see if your interpretation of events was correct (you are looking for a reading under 5).
I'd also add that when I am anxiious/stressed I get similar symptoms to low blood sugar because of the adrenalin surge.
MacDonalds should be given a change to explain what may have been a simple error of communication as I am unsure that their motive could be in denying a customer a meal that he/she has paid for? They are not selling caviar and champagne!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Perhaps the staff did suspect that OP was drugged or drunk, but basic training for anyone in public-facing food retail should cover possible hypo behaviour.

Is there a reason someone exhibiting such behaviours couldn't have been spoken to gently by a senior member of staff? Perhaps the restaurant does have some responsibility here.

I agree it's hard to guess what actually happened, but if the staff simply blanked someone in a vulnerable state they need some training in my opinion.

Would they have known he was vulnerable, though? If the OP was thought to be behaving in a potentially violent manner the staff member may have been following a company zero toleration policy for violence or abuse.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MacDonaldsFail ,

Welcome to the forum.

You may find that there is possibly more than "two sides" to the personal accounts of the incident. (Excluding the CCTV footage.)
In your statement, you also aproached another customer, accusing them of taking your order?
The focus was lost regarding resolution with the transaction issue with the vendor. Understandable if in the state of hypoglycaemia.

However, staff have a right to protection in the work place from aggressive of violent behaviour too.
There is training procedures & protocols for this. Most involve calling the supervisor or duty manager.
But every case is different & not every employee is characteristically comfortable with conflict of this nature if it happens.

Your accusation of,
"inability to perform a task as simple as serving food to a customer,"

The training would involve serving the right order to the relevant customer. I'm certain the incident would have been logged & investigated. "Customer 96's" response seems reasonable when confronted & accused by an upset member of public.

I wish you the best of luck with your complaint.

With the best will in the world, diagnosis of your symptoms from you GP would be more personally productive than possible multiple independent witness feedback of your behaviour regarding an enquiry...

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would they have known he was vulnerable, though? If the OP was thought to be behaving in a potentially violent manner the staff member may have been following a company zero toleration policy for violence or abuse.
The point of training is to understand there may be a medical problem behind the behaviour and take that into consideration - of course there should be a zero tolerance policy towards abusive behaviour but I think the response should be compassionate whatever the cause.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you weren't saying the response shouldn't be compassionate though, @Chook!

I can understand a few positions on this. Part of the reason for posting my experience here is that the experience gave me some insight as to what some experiences might be like for people with hypoglycemia and there is a somewhat similar story posted here.

I can imagine that people with diabetes can be prone to very severe hypoglycemia, which might often put them in situations they're not proud off and would have to take responsibility for.

That can however, also lead to prejudice as well and create people that are ultimately vulnerable in that because of their high potential for hypoglycemia have conditioned themselves to always assume they're at fault. In this case things such as an assumption that the staff acted correctly and that hypoglycemia was to blame. There's no indication of any hallucination or anything like that. While hypoglycemia can be that bad, that's the exception, not the norm. The most immediate effect of hypoglycemia is being slowed mentally and having poor coordination. As far as zero tolerance goes, a venue will kick someone out or call the police in that case which never happened.

I wasn't angry until their behaviour started and if they were prejudiced as you say, that would be on them. It's not their entitlement to make prejudicial assumptions and then act on them based on the smallest of signs. What's most likely here is that in the last few days they've had some issues come to the fore where they've given the wrong food or not had someone's order or something like that. They're probably been told they have to do something about that but haven't been trained at all. This wasn't like confirming an order and there's no mistake, it was like an unannounced security check and then just "computer says no".

Status
Not open for further replies.