1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Magnesium

Discussion in 'Non-Diabetic Medication' started by borderter, Jul 20, 2019.

1. borderter

borderter Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Anyone here take magnesium and does it help blood glucose

2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take magnesium as I'm on a low carbohydrate diet. It's supposed to boost energy, regulate blood sugar levels and support your immune system. I'm not sure if it actually does this myself, but I take it anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven’t taken magnesium for blood glucose control, but for leg cramps when I went low carb. However I learnt that magnesium is not absorbed so well taking it by mouth, so in the initial stages I used magnesium oil rubbed into the skin. I now maintain my magnesium intake by using pink Himalayan salt in my cooking.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I use a magnesium oil spray on my skin every night. I can't say it helps blood sugars, or I haven't noticed if it does. It is supposed to help regulate irregular heart beats, help with energy levels, and with cramps. . An oil spray absorbs better than tablets. It does seem to help my energy levels, but hasn't done much for my ventricular ectopic heart beats. I don't know if I actually need a magnesium supplement because I eat a lot of the foods that contain it - meat, fish and dairy, but I use it anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook