Magnificent May Fast!

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon all! Currently 16 hours into my 24 hour fast, drinking a lot of black coffee. FBG currently 6.4. Still a little high for my liking. Hoping they'll be into the 5s when I get to eat later.

Reactions: ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there some measurement I can use to see the start of Authopagy process?
So far as I know there’s currently no way of measuring autophagy.
The idea is that you can bring it on with a pure water fast. Other fasting methods (like my cream in coffee for example) may or may not facilitate it but at the moment it’s still very new science. I guess one day I should try a water fast to see if it feels any different but I’m afraid my caffeine addiction will scupper my chances..

Reactions: rab5

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to remember that as your body becomes more efficient in utilising ketones for energy they will show up less in your blood. from 'The Ketogenic Bible' :)
And was the very first thing I learned from personal experience using wee sticks - no more waste ketones being flushed out as soon as my body began using them for fuel.

Re hungry - I spoke too soon as just before midday my body said "Dinner time - hungry!" - I said "No you're not!" And liver said "Maybe just a little something to help out??"
BG at 13:00 7.2
Nothing but water since I ate last night so 13+ hours until my coffee and cream break.

I've found an elderly somewhat out of date Libre sensior lurking - I'll use it but it won't settle for about 48 hours so if it doesn't fall off and I keep going, I'll hopefully get a nice 24 hours a day picture in a couple of days time.

Robbity

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
i have just taken a mouthful of salt was feeling a bit tired. It was awful, there must be sodium tablets you can get, will have to look into that

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AE91AC1F-CFE3-4962-BE6E-1D5589CD7028.jpeg
Only BG numbers now. See the elevation “SA” meaning “sport after”.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have just taken a mouthful of salt was feeling a bit tired. It was awful, there must be sodium tablets you can get, will have to look into that
try adding it to tea or coffee .. Its not anywhere near as bad as it sounds honest..would I lie to you?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do long out of date ones still work?
That's what Im hoping to find out!! I've used a fairly recently expired one before now without a problem - my original sensors all had very short expiry dates on them, but certainly not as long as this...
Better on my arm than languishing in a cloakroom cabinet maybe?? :wideyed:

Robbity

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid afternoon - approx 2 hours post coffee break:
BG at 15:23 7.0
Ketonix still a jolly orange - so moderate ketones
l

I've rarely bothered to measure them throughout the day, it's generally been a measure in the morning check...

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They may well taste vile too - I remember as a child having to take a daily salt tablet in a glass of water :eek::yuck::yuck:. We spent a year in Egypt with my army father and these were considered to be an absolute requirement because of the heat and possible salt loss via sweat. But it's meant that long term I have no issues with consuming plenty of salt even though I've never forgotten what a dreaded duty it was at the time.

Robbity

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
19 hours into 24 hours fast, FBG now down to 5.3 which is the lowest figure I've seen in two weeks! Much happier with that and still 5 hours to go until food. Clearly I need to do more 24 hour fasts.

Reactions: ianpspurs and rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The reason I drink Marmite in hot water is for the salt content. I know, you either love it or hate it. Oxo cubes are salty, too.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Evening check in:

Tuesday 22/05/18 18:00
Blood Glucose 3.9
Ketones 2.0 (not sure if it is the fasting mainly or the exercise, probably both)

Plans / Results:
Had 2 black coffees
Going for 40 - 45 minute walk / 200 (push ups on walk?) - DID IT
Check emails / IT systems - DID IT
Short walk maybe - DID IT / deadlift / Curls - DID NOT (had to get to the gym)
HiiT Gym (if no work issues) - DID IT
Some weights at gym - DID IT
5 mile walk (optimistic, this will test energy levels) - DID IT
Mood: Great
Energy levels: High
Fasting Time: 48 hours

Reactions: thepolly

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening check in:

Tuesday 22/05/18 18:00
Blood Glucose 3.9
Ketones 2.0 (not sure if it is the fasting mainly or the exercise, probably both)

Plans / Results:
Had 2 black coffees
Going for 40 - 45 minute walk / 200 (push ups on walk?) - DID IT
Check emails / IT systems - DID IT
Short walk maybe - DID IT / deadlift / Curls - DID NOT (had to get to the gym)
HiiT Gym (if no work issues) - DID IT
Some weights at gym - DID IT
5 mile walk (optimistic, this will test energy levels) - DID IT
Mood: Great
Energy levels: High
Fasting Time: 48 hours
And they reckon that the 48 hour mark is the hardest.. you have smashed it out of the park.. well done sir!
Only getting better from here...