Magnificent May Fast!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All, it is Monday morning here in Canada and so I will have my last meal tonight. Guess I will be the Caboose this time around:) BGs have been very erratic last few weeks as started on Amytriptyline for fibro pain and took my last one Saturday night. Just couldn't take the constant mental battle telling me to eat carbs and screaming back NO! Did succumb a few times and felt awful after, but truly, something changes in one's head on it!! Will look for another way to deal with pain.....So best to be the Caboose as slow starting but going to give it my best shot, despite those pesky liver dumps!! Cheers All/L

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m a terrible cook. How do you make broth without stinking the house out
There was an aroma using the old boil it to death process but I am hoping our new instant pot will speed up and deodorise the process Well done @lindijanice for giving it a go - oh, and I was forced to google Caboose :)

Reactions: rab5

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping to do a week of 16:8 fasting here with maybe a one or two 24 hour fasts thrown in depending on how I feel. Currently on hour 13, sugars at 7.0 but had an awful night's sleep so hoping that's the cause. Feeling absolutely ravenous today so counting down the minutes until I can break my fast for the day!

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
`So 20 hours in and I also decided to start to cycle to work as of today, so could be entertaining ;)

FBG: 5.6
Ketones: 1.0

Am sucking down water a good rate today. I keep meaning to make
some bone broth but i can imagine it just being a dissappointment o_O

Reactions: Goonergal and rab5

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all hope its all going well for you. I did my 72 hours earlier this month as I will be helping my son and his wife move house during this period. Basically went from bg of 5.3 at start to 3.9 at the end with ketones 2.8. Weight went from 11- 9 to 11-6 body fat 17.1
I am satisfied with that so hope everyone else likes what they find out from this process.
Forgot to add I made bone broth this time which I adore with a healthy slug of cider vinegar so that was a bonus! Local Morrisons has packs of bones which have enough meat to feed 2 old gits like us for £2.50 max and the broth cooks from frozen - I obs strained everything out.
That reminded me I got a bag of beef bones at the farm shop the other day, so have time now to prepare broth ready . I freeze it in ice cube trays so have small servings ready.
The dog will have to miss out this time.

Reactions: rab5 and ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to be late to this party.
Just returned from holiday and having meal out with friends tonight. I intend to start a 48 hour fast on Wednesday evening.
My method will be light low carb meal Wednesday, thereafter drink freely green tea with lemon, peppermint tea, decaffinated coffee. 'Meals' if I fel necessarywill be Marmite in hot water, or Oxo cube of any flavour. Will be drinking plenty of water, small glass often. An emergency supply of double cream will be on standby, in case of hunger pangs, but I haven't needed this in previous fasts.

My reason for fasting? I have maintained weight for 3 years now on a low carb diet, having lost a lot on Newcastle diet method, then regained some of that following NHS advice. I still have far too much excess weight. I have in the last few months needed steroid meds and have seen a worrying increase in BG levels, particularly first test in morning, but alarmingly had some double figures for a few weeks. Main aim is to ensure that BG levels return to more comfortable levels. Any weight loss will be a bonus.

The GP nurse who monitors my health conditions is aware of my fasting, and approves. She fast it herself. I agree with @bulkbiker 's comments above, about being cautious with medication and testing, and breaking the fast if necessary, and would add that this is not a competition, so nobody should feel they have to compare their progress with others.

Best of luck to you all.
Hi @Pipp welcome aboard the good ship fasting..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
`So 20 hours in and I also decided to start to cycle to work as of today, so could be entertaining ;)

FBG: 5.6
Ketones: 1.0

Am sucking down water a good rate today. I keep meaning to make
some bone broth but i can imagine it just being a dissappointment o_O
Fasting has a habit of changing tastes or helping one to reconsider opinions. Before my first one I thought double cream in tea was the work of Satan now I am quite a fan - not of Satan so much since he became POTUS.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a terrible cook. How do you make broth without stinking the house out
Some folks use an instant pot. A sort of pressure cooker gadget. I think of @Brunneria and @DCUKMod.
I use granni's recipe.

First boil up the bones to get rid of any nasty mucky stuff lurking on them. That prevents the stinking of the house. Discard the water. Then spread the bones on a baking tray and put them in the oven on medium heat for 30 mins. Place bones in large pan, cover with water and a couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar, or other wine vinegar. Chuck in an onion, chopped celery and carrot. Bring to boil, then simmer for at least 10 hours. Longer if possible. At the end the bones should look bare, bleached even. Then strain the broth to remove all the bones. Season with salt and pepper. Everything should be rendered down, apart from the veg and bones. When cold it becomes like jelly. Meaty jelly.
Well worth the effort.

Reactions: rab5 and ianpspurs

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pipp welcome aboard the good ship fasting..
Thanks, @bulkbiker . An old hand, just never thought about reporting it.

Tend to have just a six to eight hour eating window, with a 24 hour fast every few weeks. Often because I am not well enough to eat. Have done 48 hours twice before. Never done the scientific stuff apart from checking BG and weight, though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting thread already. Looking forward to further updates.

@Pipp and @bulkbiker I find that exercising while fasted (weights) is much easier in the morning than later in the day when I’m getting close to 24 hours fasted. But BG much better after evening workouts.

Prefer to fast at weekends - seems so much easier. Never tell anyone at work what I’m up to.

@ianpspurs great results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all hope its all going well for you. I did my 72 hours earlier this month as I will be helping my son and his wife move house during this period. Basically went from bg of 5.3 at start to 3.9 at the end with ketones 2.8. Weight went from 11- 9 to 11-6 body fat 17.1
I am satisfied with that so hope everyone else likes what they find out from this process.
Forgot to add I made bone broth this time which I adore with a healthy slug of cider vinegar so that was a bonus! Local Morrisons has packs of bones which have enough meat to feed 2 old gits like us for £2.50 max and the broth cooks from frozen - I obs strained everything out.
Brilliant results sir... enjoy the move!

Reactions: ianpspurs

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
First check-in. Trying to stitch up my results with a bad finish to meal yesterday i.e. 3 chocolate brownies, 2 flax muffins, 2 seed biscuits with peanut butter and 2 (generous) servings of nuts, so my initial numbers today are about 10% away from my normal. Hopefully I can get into better Ketosis over the next day:

Monday 21/05/18
Weight - 84.6 Kgs
BMI - 26.1
Body Fat - 10.9 %
Water - 66.9 %
Muscle Mass - 71.7 Kgs
Body Type - 9
Bone Mass - 3.7 Kgs
Basal M Rate - 2159 kcal
Visceral Fat - 6 %
Fasting BG - 4.9
BG - 4.3
Ketones - 0.1
Cardio - 11119 Steps
Weights / Resistance - 220 Push ups. 5 Deadlifts @ 110 Kgs, 5 Bicep Curls @ 18 Kgs
Time Fasting - 24.5 hours

Reactions: rom35 and rab5

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey All, took the plunge and thought what the heck? So last meal was Sunday evening. Have granddaughters over for sleepover and youngest woke me up this morning with vomiting in our bed and diarrhea - sorry for the details!! After I stripped our bed, got her cleaned up and the Hubby took her home I tested my sugars - 11.5!! Haven't seen numbers like that since before finding this Forum!! Anyway, now at 7.1, so I think it was just all the excitement that the old liver said , Here goes!! Anyway, bullet coffee x2 and ginger/tumeric tea x1 thus far today. Will check bg before I have supper - going for one meal/day with liquids. Bone broth will have to be on the menu for tomorrow as want to do this fast until Saturday. Will have to eat lunch then as taking the girls (if we are all healthy!) to their all time favorite movie in a play - The Sound of Music - they are the third generation to love it!! Cheers all/L Thanks to the cheerleadears:):)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey All, took the plunge and thought what the heck? So last meal was Sunday evening. Have granddaughters over for sleepover and youngest woke me up this morning with vomiting in our bed and diarrhea - sorry for the details!! After I stripped our bed, got her cleaned up and the Hubby took her home I tested my sugars - 11.5!! Haven't seen numbers like that since before finding this Forum!! Anyway, now at 7.1, so I think it was just all the excitement that the old liver said , Here goes!! Anyway, bullet coffee x2 and ginger/tumeric tea x1 thus far today. Will check bg before I have supper - going for one meal/day with liquids. Bone broth will have to be on the menu for tomorrow as want to do this fast until Saturday. Will have to eat lunch then as taking the girls (if we are all healthy!) to their all time favorite movie in a play - The Sound of Music - they are the third generation to love it!! Cheers all/L Thanks to the cheerleadears:):)
That sounds like a very rude awakening... doncha just love kids!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First check-in. Trying to stitch up my results with a bad finish to meal yesterday i.e. 3 chocolate brownies, 2 flax muffins, 2 seed biscuits with peanut butter and 2 (generous) servings of nuts, so my initial numbers today are about 10% away from my normal. Hopefully I can get into better Ketosis over the next day:

Monday 21/05/18
Weight - 84.6 Kgs
BMI - 26.1
Body Fat - 10.9 %
Water - 66.9 %
Muscle Mass - 71.7 Kgs
Body Type - 9
Bone Mass - 3.7 Kgs
Basal M Rate - 2159 kcal
Visceral Fat - 6 %
Fasting BG - 4.9
BG - 4.3
Ketones - 0.1
Cardio - 11119 Steps
Weights / Resistance - 220 Push ups. 5 Deadlifts @ 110 Kgs, 5 Bicep Curls @ 18 Kgs
Time Fasting - 24.5 hours
Very impressive set of figures....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just took some numbers
At 8:24 am FBG 5.8 ketones 0.3
At 1:41 pm Blood 5.1 ketones 0.5
At 7:17 pm Blood 4.9 Ketones 2.6!
That's what I call an improvement...
Intake today 2 mugs of jasmine tea this morning and 2 mugs of coffee with double cream (bit more cream than usual as I glugged bit out of the pot).
Will post days intake data just before bed when I'll do last readings for the day.

Reactions: vanillapie

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I’m starting weight training tonight wonder if that will have much of an effect?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I wasn't actually going to do anything, but I saw my name as a possible on the thread this morning and hadn't eaten since about midnight, so I thought if I make it past midday I'll carry on. All I've had so far apart from water, has been a mug of coffee with double cream , stevia drops and a little Alpro almoind unsweetened milk, plus about 1/2 teaspoon scraping from the dregs of my jar of pecan butter, since as I said I wasn't intnding to play...

FBG at 7.38am was 6.8, but I'd been up and down stairs to refill my bottle of water from the fridge, and snaffling my taste of nut butter before i though abouit testing. But fasting's been playing a game of guess if I'm going to be high (over 7) or low (mid 5s) for a while now!

BG at 18.45 6.2
BP 134/60
And completely ketone free
according to my Ketonix (registered a pretty blue) - though I could taste some when I woke up...
Weight (as usual!) about 95 kilos

Just going tp make my dinner now so will eat at about 8pm, so around 20 hours. Not really hungry but that generally gets me in the middle of the night and stops me sleeping!

Robbity