Mail on Sunday article 12 July 2020

SVB

Has anyone else read this article in the Mail on Sunday today by Barney Calman? (Health section). It throws into question all we are doing with low carb diets. I would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks. Please read it if you can. It may be on-line too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid it will be the same old stuff I've been hearing for 50 years - bad wicked naughty low carb advice ought not to be allowed because I know better, I am TRAINED I am an AUTHORITY and don't you dare tell me that my advice makes you FEEL ILL because you are WRONG WRONG WRONG and ought to be ASHAMED of yourself.
Yeah. Right.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The "Daily Fail" always make me laugh, earlier this year they did a big run on low carb for beating Diabetes with @lowcarbgp and some really good recipes from the Caldesi's cookbook, then they're promoting Michael Mosley's fast 800 (also lowish carb) now LOW CARB IS BAD FOR YOU.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else read this article in the Mail on Sunday today by Barney Calman? (Health section). It throws into question all we are doing with low carb diets. I would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks. Please read it if you can. It may be on-line too.

Usual drivel from Calman, Mike Lean (of Newcastle Diet fame) and Douglas Twenefour from DUK (the carbs are essential fool).

Britvic likely protecting their "investment" in DUK.

Thankfully the Unwins were out in force on Twitter alongside many of us DCUK er's in support .. our very own @Debandez too.

Reactions: Debandez

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The "Daily Fail" always make me laugh, earlier this year they did a big run on low carb for beating Diabetes with @lowcarbgp and some really good recipes from the Caldesi's cookbook, then they're promoting Michael Mosley's fast 800 (also lowish carb) now LOW CARB IS BAD FOR YOU.

The editor of 'The Daily Mail' is generally supportive of Low Carb - hence Unwin and Malhotra articles.
However the editor of 'The Mail On Sunday' is very anti- Low Carb, hence yesterday's attack on science.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You're right to read the info and think about it, but to be honest it throws nothing into question: it's the same old 'carbs are good for people who are essentially unable to process carbs' nonsense. I would call it tripe, but tripe is at least a low-carb option, lol, so I'll call it JUNK.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Unfortunately many/most doctors in the media have an agenda. In some cases it is that their research is paid for by certain food companies - famously there is a woman who is paid by the sugar companies and insists that there is no harm in getting a quarter of your daily calories from sugar!
The 7th Day Adventists own the biggest grain and cereals company in Australia, they are founded on the idea of a 'garden of Eden' purely plant based diet - which they claim 'cures' masturbation. In the real world their vegan diet without supplementation would kill them off pretty fast, so they cheat and claim that you can be vegetarian if you only eat meat once per week!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual drivel from Calman, Mike Lean (of Newcastle Diet fame) and Douglas Twenefour from DUK (the carbs are essential fool).

Thankfully the Unwins were out in force on Twitter alongside many of us DCUK er's in support .. our very own @Debandez too.

I was

We work so well as a team. Looking out for each other. Full time job yesterday :) good to see Dr Unwin picked up lots more followers as a result of the article ;-)