searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Another of the not so nice things about being diabetic is the number of items that you need to carry with you on a daily basis, some of these items you could need to get hold of quite quickly!

So it does not take a genius to realise that some form of kit bag is needed to carry all this stuff around and keep it in some for of order, and for a woman this is ok, as they can just carry it along with everything else in their hand bag

For a bloke however choosing the correct bag that does not look too girly, but is quite practical to carry every thing that is needed for the day take a bit of thought.

Having purchased a few, and found that there just isnt enough space, or look too girly, or simply are not really that practical, i was taking a last look on google to see if i could find something different

this is when i can across the medscope they supply what they call the isothermal diabetic kit bag, and it only costs £25.00 including VAT and carriage

the spec from the medscope website is as follows:

Isothermal bag for Diabetic Kit

Weight: 460 g.
Colour: grey and black.
Maximum recommended contents weight: 2 Kg.
1 main compartment with specific spaces to insert the kit of the diabetic: lancets, glucometer, diabetic card …
1 isothermal compartment for insulin with pocket for the reusable cold gel included.
2 pockets for personal belongings, one of them with access from the exterior.
1 external pocket of rapid access for sugar/glucose.
Belt driver.
Shoulder strap.
Size:14 x 20 x 8 cm
Material:600D + 420D
Now i have to say, this bag is almost perfect, it is well laid out, has more than enough space for a weeks supplies for someone on MDI, it is well laid out.. and most of all, it looks a lot like a small camera bag, enough so, that any bloke should not be too concerned about having to carry it

if you can not find the website to purchase this feel free to PM me, as i dont think direct links to commercial websites are allowed!

here are a few photos:
Isothermal_bag_for_Diabetic_Kit.jpg

129-1.jpg

129-2.jpg

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looks ideal Searley! :)

Nigel

LZ-DEN

Dislikes
rudeness,
hi searley,thats a good looking bag,funny thing was i was looking at that bag only 2 days ago as i was thinking of buying a new bag, im currently using a medicool (blue) bag to hold all my bits and bobs,but as its getting on now due to the blue fabric coming away from the zip i thought a new bag would be needed,however i cut the front pouch off my blue bag and fixed my aviva nano black meter case to the front,ok its now black and blue..but its serving a good purpose.but maybe in a few month time i will get a new bag :) regards den. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have ordered a similar bag to contain all my "stuff"
However I couldn't walk around with a bag like that on display - I'll be chucking it in a small rucksack along with my reading glasses, current book, phone charger, diary, spare pens, etc etc

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
When I was on insulin and had to carry around all the extra's I tried a few man bags which looked great in the adverts but all looked a bit 'Italian' when I tried them on so I settled on a sort of half sized courier bag which had loads of room for everything whilst offering a more masculine look.

TheBishopOfSligo said:
I have ordered a similar bag to contain all my "stuff"
However I couldn't walk around with a bag like that on display - I'll be chucking it in a small rucksack along with my reading glasses, current book, phone charger, diary, spare pens, etc etc

I'm guessing that would be a bible my Lord Bishop? :wink:

Chazaroonie

I have been looking for a kit bag for ages. Recently though I found a wii carry case made by GAME for 99p in their sale. It's got loads of compartments and a shoulder strap. It's black and grey and looks pretty discreet. A good idea for a budget choice. Fit's a couple of bottles of lucozade in the back too. I now take it everywhere.

Petey

Small laptop bag works best for me, although the current one isn't so small! If anyone throws the 'manbag' line out you can just respond that "it's a laptop bag, thanks". Of course, if they then demand to see your laptop you might come unstuck. Incentive to do more work on the fly perhaps?

bonerp

when I first went on my pump I used to carry all that stuff about religiously. Now I just keep a test kit on me and glucose/sweets if I'm away from from my desk or car, and as long I'm within an hour of getting back to spares, I don't bother now.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband who carries a few things around inc a epipen as he has a serious fish allergy uses an old camera bag of mine :wink:

They are usually quite cheap to buy, have lots of little pockets & are usually padded, as they come in a huge number of sizes its easy to find the right size for your needs

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bought this bag last year as I was going to america to Disney world and wanted a small bag to carry all my stuff. Its a great bag places for everything and more like wallet phone etc.

darkchuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moaning peaple
Man up I use a leather john rosher bag I don't care what anybody thinks it serves the purpose for everything I need just think continental .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I have just bought one of these bags on amazon including a gel pack for keeping insulin cool I was just using wash bag but was driving me mad having to rake about to find anything plent compartments to keep it all organised

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There are some decent choices for men now. I thought I would feel a bit odd wearing my "bag" but doesn't bother me at all now ! Wear your bag with pride lol :)

yarnspinners

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As i shall be traveling a lot through Europe later this year I am interested in the Isothermal kit bag. I was under the impression that diabetic items of this nature are VAT exempt. In fact when I purchased a Frio cool wallet it was sold to me less the VAT. I queried this point with the supplier of the Isothermal bag and was told that "Unfortunately this item is not classed as VAT exempt." which I found strange. Anyone else come across this?