1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Managing Flu with Diabetes Type 1

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Overitdt1, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Overitdt1

Overitdt1 Type 1 · Newbie

hi there, I have recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, as in the last couple of weeks. I had the flu jab as recommended and I've come down with the worst cold and flu symptoms. My blood sugars are either sky high or quickly decreasing and I don't know how to keep them "normal". I don't know anything about what to do in this situation, if I'm being over dramatic or if I need to change my insulin doses. FYI I'm 22. Any advice would be really appreciated, feeling pretty defeated.

*edited by a moderator to remove swear word

#1 Overitdt1, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:35 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm sorry you have flu, seek the advice of your diabetes team. Drink plenty of fluids and take paracetamol regularly to keep your temperature down.
    The flu ( infection) will spike your blood sugars, your diabetes care team will advise you what to do with your insulin.
    Take care

3. Overitdt1

Overitdt1 Type 1 · Newbie

Thank you! Have managed to get through to them today

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook