Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Mainly a rant and getting my anger out.
Been type2 3 years now and under control.
I also have bipolar which was diagnosed early last year and excepted it, though I was was being treated with mental health for years.
Just recently been diagnosed with severe neuropathy.
Up until Friday morning, I have dealt with these very well, in fact too well.
Last Friday morning I had an appointment with my pdoc and I just broke down. My pdoc had been waiting for this to happen. We had a good talk and agreed not to up my meds and for him to see me again in 4 to 6 weeks instead of the usual 3 monthly appointments.
The thing that I am so angry about, is that the podiatrist said I must have been diabetic for years to have the amount if numbness in my feet. I know it's all my own fault as I was so overweight.i and ate all the wrong things so I only have myself to blame. Also angry at my surgery first DN nurse for not listening to me about the numbness.
Also angry at my Gp for not doing a referral when he said he would. That's now been done last Friday and I had an apology from my Gp.
Now I am scared to use my surgery incase they boot me off their books for all the moaning and complaining that I have done over the past week or so.
I do know that it doesn, t help being bipolar.
I just wish I could turn back the clock to when I used to be a reasonable weight
Rant over and thank you all xx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh I do understand you anger and frustration... and think you have delt with your mental isues very fine lately... of cause you get scared angry and very sad to find such a servere neuropathy in you legs....I dont think you should be scared that surgery should dismiss you , they must be able to cope with patients grief and frustration when getting servere conditions... and the excuse doesn´t help you much only in the way that you can maybe can be able to see your GP in his eyes again and start building trust again.. at least he has seen his fault in this..

didn´t he have any strategy to help you lowering your numbers in general ? support of some kind or alike ? I send you a hug and wish you a much better development from now on....

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don't beat yourself up over this Ally , your doctor has not dealt with you properly and now at least he's listening to you .
I also have really bad neuropathy in my left leg and I remember going to the doctor telling him about it and being told it was because I had a stroke and nothing could be done . It was only after I changed doctors I found one that finally listened to me .
Please do t think it's because you have been overweight that you have neuropathy it's not I'm classed as underweight and still have it so I don't think weight comes into it . There are lots of medications that you can try that may help so please don't think there's nothing more they can done .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awwwww. @ally1 - I'm so glad your anger and frustration came out when you were with someone you respect, trust and would appreciate what it was all about.

One thing I will say Ally is that none of us can change the past, and carrying regrets only uses up energy we could be using so much more positively on other things. Of course, that sounds very flippant to you at a time when you are undoubtedly feeling devastated and vulnerable.

There's no doubt that carrying extra weight doesn't help anyone's health, in general, but it's not the only factor in any given individual's likelihood of developing diabetes. There are other factors we can't influence; like our genetics. If I recall, you have a number of family members who have diabetes, both T2 and T1.

It is quite unusual for a GP to remove a patient from their lists, and I honestly can't think you would be overly rude or aggressive when making your case for your care. In fact, there have been several times when I so wished I could have spoken for you, and trust me, I'm pretty certain I'd have been more forthright than I imagine you could have been.

If you gave your GP some direct and uncomfortable feedback in order to get the care you so deserve, that he'll just have to take that, and with luck will reflect on where things went wrong in your care, and use what he learns from it to prevent anything similar happening in future.

Ally, it'll likely take you a few days to get over your appointment with your PDoc, so just be kind to yourself.

Reactions: Struma and ally1

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's all my own fault as I was so overweight.
No, it's not your fault. You probably became overweight when you were becoming insulin resistant (and that's just T2 before it's given a name) You ate the wrong things because no-one told you that carbs were bad and that they were so addictive. Add to this the depression and it's clear that this wasn't your fault.

I really admire you and how you have coped with so many problems at once. It's a huge step forward that you found someone you could trust and spill your feelings out to them. Well done. Give yourself a hug from me, you deserve it :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mainly a rant and getting my anger out.
Been type2 3 years now and under control.
I also have bipolar which was diagnosed early last year and excepted it, though I was was being treated with mental health for years.
Just recently been diagnosed with severe neuropathy.
Up until Friday morning, I have dealt with these very well, in fact too well.
Last Friday morning I had an appointment with my pdoc and I just broke down. My pdoc had been waiting for this to happen. We had a good talk and agreed not to up my meds and for him to see me again in 4 to 6 weeks instead of the usual 3 monthly appointments.
The thing that I am so angry about, is that the podiatrist said I must have been diabetic for years to have the amount if numbness in my feet. I know it's all my own fault as I was so overweight.i and ate all the wrong things so I only have myself to blame. Also angry at my surgery first DN nurse for not listening to me about the numbness.
Also angry at my Gp for not doing a referral when he said he would. That's now been done last Friday and I had an apology from my Gp.
Now I am scared to use my surgery incase they boot me off their books for all the moaning and complaining that I have done over the past week or so.
I do know that it doesn, t help being bipolar.
I just wish I could turn back the clock to when I used to be a reasonable weight
Rant over and thank you all xx

Hi Ally, my son has bipolar too, OCD, sarcoidosis, tourettes with some other conditions too, he is often euphoric and then crashes and burns.
Thinking of you X

Reactions: Guzzler and ally1

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@ally1 I understand and sympathise with your anger. But hopefully things will change for the better now. Hugs and best wishes to you.

John

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi Ally, my son has bipolar too, OCD, sarcoidosis, tourettes with some other conditions too, he is often euphoric and then crashes and burns.
Thinking of you X
Thank you. I am very open with telling people that I have bipolar, unfortunately there is still a big stigma about having a mental illness.
I deliberately said on the forum that I have bipolar, that to try and get others that are/have a mental illness that it's nothing to be ashamed off

Reactions: Gannet and kokhongw
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you. I am very open with telling people that I have bipolar, unfortunately there is still a big stigma about having a mental illness.
I deliberately said on the forum that I have bipolar, that to try and get others that are/have a mental illness that it's nothing to be ashamed off

My son is the same and trying to find a nice lady with his 'needs' is proving a bit difficult. It is a medical condition that needs a lot of support and understanding ( like many of the mental health conditions) and you have my support @ally 1 x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ally1 - This page from Mind illustrates how common mental health issues are. The very first sentence states,

"Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year "

https://www.mind.org.uk/information...mmon-are-mental-health-problems/#.WSM1XWjyut8

That alone could hopefully comfort you that you really aren't alone in facing mental challenges. Of course every individual's issues will be unique to them; just as yours are to you.

To be honest, in my view, people hate the label "mental illness" more than most people hate the condition they are experiencing People can tend to conjour up images that, although can be the representative of mental illness, rarely actually reflect most people's experience. Folks are often happy to say they have anxiety, or or an OCD or any number of other conditions, but would rail against that blanket title of mental illness. I salute you for standing up loud and proud and approaching your own challenges head on. You seriously under estimate yourself Ally.

Just as an aside, I recall @Administrator once stating something like that at the point of a diabetes diagnosis, 30% of people will also state that they have mental health concerns of one sort or another. I have tagged Amin, just in case I mis-remembered that statement.

Reactions: ally1

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think instead of worrying they will 'boot your off' you should try complaining about not listening to you

Reactions: ally1

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ally let it rip!
You have a heck of a lot to cope with on a daily basis, and an explosion of anger can be very helpful and very beneficial - as I am sure your pdoc said.

I'm really hoping that your surgery takes you seriously from now on!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@ally1 - This page from Mind illustrates how common mental health issues are. The very first sentence states,

"Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year "
You are so right about what people think about mental illness.
That why I made a point of saying on the forum that I have bipolar.
I except it, and by saying, hopefully other members that have a mental illness, might open up here and not be ashamed of their illness
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...mmon-are-mental-health-problems/#.WSM1XWjyut8

That alone could hopefully comfort you that you really aren't alone in facing mental challenges. Of course every individual's issues will be unique to them; just as yours are to you.

To be honest, in my view, people hate the label "mental illness" more than most people hate the condition they are experiencing People can tend to conjour up images that, although can be the representative of mental illness, rarely actually reflect most people's experience. Folks are often happy to say they have anxiety, or or an OCD or any number of other conditions, but would rail against that blanket title of mental illness. I salute you for standing up loud and proud and approaching your own challenges head on. You seriously under estimate yourself Ally.

Just as an aside, I recall @Administrator once stating something like that at the point of a diabetes diagnosis, 30% of people will also state that they have mental health concerns of one sort or another. I have tagged Amin, just in case I mis-remembered that statement.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

You are so right.
That's why I said here that I have bipolar, that other members might then post saying they have a mental illness and it's not something to be ashamed off

Reactions: AndBreathe

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Ally let it rip!
You have a heck of a lot to cope with on a daily basis, and an explosion of anger can be very helpful and very beneficial - as I am sure your pdoc said.

I'm really hoping that your surgery takes you seriously from now on!
Thank you

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it's all my own fault as I was so overweight.i and ate all the wrong things so I only have myself to blame.
Dear Ally, I'm sure you know by now it may not be your fault at all. You've been a good friend and help to many on here (including me) so you have every right to speak out for yourself for a change.
I told my elder son yesterday that I dread becoming a grumpy old man, and he said it's perfectly ok, and in fact because he can't be grumpy to his idiot bosses at work he's grumpy with everyone else when he comes home. His wife can stand up for herself but I pity the dog.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Dear Ally, I'm sure you know by now it may not be your fault at all. You've been a good friend and help to many on here (including me) so you have every right to speak out for yourself for a change.
I told my elder son yesterday that I dread becoming a grumpy old man, and he said it's perfectly ok, and in fact because he can't be grumpy to his idiot bosses at work he's grumpy with everyone else when he comes home. His wife can stand up for herself but I pity the dog.
Thank you.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It's more like 44% with the data we see -which makes community and support all the more important

Reactions: Freema