Measuring Blood Sugars

jclegg73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

Just got out of hospital after suffering keto acidosis and have now been moved off Metformin onto insulin injections.

When measuring my sugar level after eating how long after eating should the test be taken?

Cheers

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Just got out of hospital after suffering keto acidosis and have now been moved off Metformin onto insulin injections.

When measuring my sugar level after eating how long after eating should the test be taken?

Cheers
It Depends on your insulin but 2 hours is the usual guideline

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to aim for 1hr and 2hrs as it gives me a good indication as to how the insulin (and food) has impacted. However as JCBBFC27 has said 2 hrs if fine.

Reactions: plantae

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2 hours should be OK unless you have hypo symptoms in which case check straight away.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many of the fast acting insulins have a 4 hour (ish) timeframe to it, so if its back to what you hope it should be after 2 hours you may finds youre lower by the 4 hour timeframe - presuming its a fast acting insulin that is being taken with food

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all

Can anyone recommend where to find free very low carb diet plans?

There are lots around, in essence you cut the carbs you eat - starches & sugars - right back, and increase vegetables and possibly dairy & meat. If you are used to cooking your own food from raw ingredients it's not that hard. But this is one:

Reactions: plantae

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant, abusive, greedy people
I try to test 1 hour after and 2 hours after. I made myself an insulin chart in a word document. From left to right it reads Date - Time - Food - Carbs - Medication - Pre Meal BG - + 1 Hour - + 2 Hours. I enter the values each day and I include the direction my BG are moving according to the information displayed on my Libre 2 meter.

Of late I have been trying my hardest to get the amount of carbs in each meal as close to correct as I can (weighing foods etc), so as to be able to adjust my insulin accordingly. It is not perfect by any means, but it does give me reference points and I can look back at past events for help, especially when I've been prescribed medication that significantly spikes my BG.

Reactions: plantae and JAT1

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to test 1 hour after and 2 hours after. I made myself an insulin chart in a word document. From left to right it reads Date - Time - Food - Carbs - Medication - Pre Meal BG - + 1 Hour - + 2 Hours. I enter the values each day and I include the direction my BG are moving according to the information displayed on my Libre 2 meter.

Of late I have been trying my hardest to get the amount of carbs in each meal as close to correct as I can (weighing foods etc), so as to be able to adjust my insulin accordingly. It is not perfect by any means, but it does give me reference points and I can look back at past events for help, especially when I've been prescribed medication that significantly spikes my BG.

If you use Excel instead of Word a whole world of automatic calculations & colouring opens up.

Reactions: Grandadfatboy

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Cheers
Hope you’re feeling better

• Friendly
Reactions: Lainie71

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know the common advice for people with type 2 is to test before eating a 2 hours later as has been mentioned above.
But the OP clearly stated they are taking insulin so I wonder whether the advice should be closer to that for someone with Type 1?
Given fast acting insulin lasts about 4 hours, it is rarely worth testing within those four hours as there is still insulin on board to bing blood sugars down. The only reason for testing earlier is to understand if the dose was taken at the right time.

Also, if the OP is on fixed insulin doses, care should be taken before adopting a lower carb diet.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi All

Cheers
I'm confused. Have your diabetic team given you no advice about when to test? Struggling to think how you could move someone to insulin without giving such essential advice....

Reactions: Robbity