Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can only give my experience, I have worked for fire service and as EMT for approx 16 years now. Every year I have to do medical refresher training which is assessed and monthly on-going training. I have only ever been taught to look for bracelets or visible ID. I would never look in a person's wallet. Remember though, this is emergency situations where people are either unconscious or very confused or not alert and oriented. If a family member were to show me a card in a wallet or if you were able to tell me to look in wallet I would. I can only speak for Cambs area. Possibly there are different protocols where you live but I would be surprised if any medic routinely looked in a wallet/purse. It wouldn't look good to the public and could be misinterpreted. Hope I have not worried you, this was not my intention and I'm sure a good first responder would spot the signs anyway :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks for the clarification Mo :)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I personally really really hate these bracelets being loose and moving around and all that (I've got a leather one that's basically a watch armband), I think the main purpose is to give EMTs information - the any passerby who might find you is unlikely to be equipped to treat you anyway (how many non-diabetics carry glucagon kits around?) so I wouldn't worry to much about average people not looking for them or being confused by them.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a road runner bracelet for when I'm out alone which just says diabetes T1 plus UK and French contact numbers (so it works in both countries). I also wear a pump and for that, if I remember carry a card issued by Medtronic (usually do if going to the UK alone and it is written in both French and English) It's either in my purse or a pocket in my rucksack, or bumbag. It tells emergency services not to remove the pump but has instructions on how to suspend insulin in the case of hypoglycaemia.
Do people in the emergency services recognise a pump? (do doctors in E&A?) According to Mo they wouldn't look for a card, what would they do?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I have a road runner bracelet for when I'm out alone which just says diabetes T1 plus UK and French contact numbers (so it works in both countries). I also wear a pump and for that, if I remember carry a card issued by Medtronic (usually do if going to the UK alone and it is written in both French and English) It's either in my purse or a pocket in my rucksack, or bumbag. It tells emergency services not to remove the pump but has instructions on how to suspend insulin in the case of hypoglycaemia.
Do people in the emergency services recognise a pump? (do doctors in E&A?) According to Mo they wouldn't look for a card, what would they do?
They would recognise a pump. The emergency services are primarily interested in any life threatening conditions, 99% of the time, this doesn't apply to diabetics ( unless involved in trauma, e.g., motor vehicle accident ). I think a few here are getting confused with emergency first responder care at the roadside or a house with on-going care in a hospital environment. If called to a diabetic emergency, severe hypo or something, there are 2 scenarios, conscious or unconscious. If conscious, the oral glucose is a very rapid and efficient treatment. If unconscious, the glycogen injection also generally produces quick results. Rarely does this treatment need further treatment in a hospital environment.
As far as bracelets etc, these certainly help as a responder is trained to look for them and treatment will proceed immediately down the correct route. If no ID, a good EMT/Paramedic should still eventually, through process of elimination, spot the correct treatment required. Again, in 99% of occasions there will generally be a family member or friend who will tell the responder about the diabetes. I was only trying to let people know that the majority of medics or emergency services would not routinely check wallets/purses or mobile phones. This may be something done later on by police if they need a contact or next of kin, it just won't be a priority.
It is not my intention to scare anyone and there is no harm in having these ID cards or similar. My opinion though is that if you wish to get some form of ID, it would be better to get a bracelet or similar as these are immediately visible if you are unable to communicate properly.
I think our emergency services are superb in the UK and the training is second to none. Even with no ID, they are trained to look out for certain conditions, especially as diabetes becomes more prevalent.

Reactions: 4 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Are there any T2's here who wear diabetic alert bracelets

Yes I do Annie, it just says "Diabetic Type 2" on it and has the medical alert symbol too, I work away most of the time and spend a lot of time alone (in hotels etc), so I'd rather the paramedics knew if I ever needed emergency treatment.

H

Hooked

I have been told by my DSN that if you are wearing an insulin pump and arrive in A&E, if you are conscious and able to operate it they will leave it on, if you are unconscious or unable to operate it for any other reason, they will disconnect and put you on a sliding scale.

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for advice guys I'm gunna get one I think found a nice one on a website called ice gems it was one of the leaflets the nurse gave me it's £40 :( tho but looks nice and modern
Tattoo!!! Not sure I'd go that far nothing against tattoos as I have a few just step one bracelet for me lol
try tallygear.com....i got mine from there, not too expensive and you can choose your favourate colour as well ' type 1 diabetic medical alert' . and i got mine for the same reason as most people on this site----if you have a hypo the medics will look at your wrist and respond accordingly...its a life saver

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people tending to a person who has collapsed won't look in their bag or wallet for fear of looking like they are thieving from the person. But a medical bracelet stands more chance of being seen, in my opinion.

I've come across two strangers who'd gone unconscious in the past. Wouldn't have dared reach into pockets etc cos I didn't know what I might find or be accused of, but did check wrists and neck for id.

Yes, i think the alert bracelets are a very good idea, but often (unless private info on) people think they are support, sponsor given advertisement. I am a relative of an ambulance worker who has told me when attending a seen (unless already told they are diabetic) the first thing paramedics do at almost every seen if unconscious in any way is test glucose levels.

I don't use a bracelet myself but have considered a tattoo but decided not to as a wouldn't want everyone knowing i have diabetes or explaining when seen.

regards

Reactions: 2 people

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been told by my DSN that if you are wearing an insulin pump and arrive in A&E, if you are conscious and able to operate it they will leave it on, if you are unconscious or unable to operate it for any other reason, they will disconnect and put you on a sliding scale.
Slightly off topic, but relevant to this post... This happened to me a couple of months ago. Admitted with 30+ blood sugar and 3+ ketones. They left me on the pump, monitored levels then put me on a sliding scale. Coming off the scale was the problem. The doctor told a nurse to turn the scale off but did nothing about reconnecting the pump. I'd had 1 hour of sleep all night and was not really with it, so when I woke up properly and found the machine turned off I questioned it - sure enough, my blood sugar was right back up and ketones half way up to where they had been!!!

At this point I requested someone from the diabetes care team to tell the doctors on the unit what to do. One of the diabetes nurses came down and put them straight.

Am thinking about a bracelet too, but not sure it's worth paying for the service. But it looks like the cost of the service has come down a bit since I was diagnosed, so maybe I'll go for it after all.

H

Hooked

Slightly off topic, but relevant to this post... This happened to me a couple of months ago. Admitted with 30+ blood sugar and 3+ ketones. They left me on the pump, monitored levels then put me on a sliding scale. Coming off the scale was the problem. The doctor told a nurse to turn the scale off but did nothing about reconnecting the pump. I'd had 1 hour of sleep all night and was not really with it, so when I woke up properly and found the machine turned off I questioned it - sure enough, my blood sugar was right back up and ketones half way up to where they had been!!!

At this point I requested someone from the diabetes care team to tell the doctors on the unit what to do. One of the diabetes nurses came down and put them straight.

Am thinking about a bracelet too, but not sure it's worth paying for the service. But it looks like the cost of the service has come down a bit since I was diagnosed, so maybe I'll go for it after all.

You gotta wonder sometimes what on earth goes on in those Dr's heads. Taking you off the sliding scale and no pump.... what did they expect to happen?!

I don't understand what you mean when you say "service" in relation to diabetic ID. I just have a braclet that says T1 Diabetes so someone finding me will know (or at least the emergency services will know) that I need sugar; that's it.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The service is the Medic alert bit (as opposed to ordinary bracelets) - they hold your details on file and they are available to anyone who finds you and contacts them via the number on the bracelet. But you have to pay an annual subscription. That's what the original Medic alert bracelets were for, I believe.

H

Hooked

The service is the Medic alert bit (as opposed to ordinary bracelets) - they hold your details on file and they are available to anyone who finds you and contacts them via the number on the bracelet. But you have to pay an annual subscription. That's what the original Medic alert bracelets were for, I believe.
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm recently diagnosed, and will get a silicone band for when I'm running or at the gym.

I'd like to find a discreet bracelet to wear, but most of them have "medical emergency" on them, which I'm not overly keen on. I would never hide my diabetes, but don't particularly want a bright shining medical emergency bracelet....

H

Hooked

I'm recently diagnosed, and will get a silicone band for when I'm running or at the gym.

I'd like to find a discreet bracelet to wear, but most of them have "medical emergency" on them, which I'm not overly keen on. I would never hide my diabetes, but don't particularly want a bright shining medical emergency bracelet....

You have to really shop around. There are some leather ones out there, which do have a small bit of metal for the info to be engraved on. There are also some designed to look like a watch. Ladies can also get ones that look like a charm bracelet and the id looks like a wee charm hanging from it.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

I know exactly how you feel but if they were discreet, sort of defeats the object. The idea is that someone will spot it in an emergency and take appropriate action.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, i think the alert bracelets are a very good idea, but often (unless private info on) people think they are support, sponsor given advertisement. I am a relative of an ambulance worker who has told me when attending a seen (unless already told they are diabetic) the first thing paramedics do at almost every seen if unconscious in any way is test glucose levels.

I don't use a bracelet myself but have considered a tattoo but decided not to as a wouldn't want everyone knowing i have diabetes or explaining when seen.

regards

Interesting idea of getting a tattoo to identify your type and what not, but would an ambulance worker look for that? Its an interesting way to go about it, maybe getting the tattoo in obvious areas such as the wrist or ankle I assume

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I know exactly how you feel but if they were discreet, sort of defeats the object. The idea is that someone will spot it in an emergency and take appropriate action.

I agree with mo1905 about having a discreet bracelet defeating the purpose of ensuring that your medical condition is known.. There are plenty of companies that design medical bracelets that are more stylish and don't scream medical bracelet, yet still standing out to those who need to know your condition if a situation does occur.