Medic alert bracelets yay or nay!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I got the diabetes co uk one that I wear absolutely everywhere and never take it off. Its the one for £10 ish annually..
I'd rather people phone and find out how or whats wrong with me etc and this is especially so as I have DNR on my records that medics and public would not know anything about if I was having a heart attack etc.. Clear instructions on what to do incase of diabetes complaint though....

To me just having a diabetes aware sort of logo bracelet isn't enough. I would far rather have the practical full details given to someone over the phone, should they see the rubber bracelet. As it always is dangling below my jumper sleeves or coat sleeves, I do think that nowadays people would phone the number on the band...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got mine from ebay silicone(stretches ! I work work with special needs ) says type 1 insulin pymp(as Zi'm on a pump) lovely bright colours, that get noticed. Plus on my Iphone I have the ICE emergency app, which shows what's wrong with me and contact info, no need to unlock with a code. Just hit the home button and it all shos up.
That's an interesting one, never heard of an app before!

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had one and don't like them myself. I don't like talking about my diabetes personally and when people see you wearing one they start asking questions. I'll take my chances I think, I'm still here after 31 years with Type 1.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I certainly think the bracelets and alerts are a good idea and are an easy visual trigger to emergency services. They are trained to look out for these things. Whilst all the other things, phone numbers, apps etc do no harm, in 15 years working in this field, I've never heard of any personnel using these. At the scene of an emergency, unless instructed to do so by the casualty, going through someone else's phone or calling people just doesn't happen. I'm sure there may have been occasions where an app or call centre was used successfully but I'm just sharing my experience. However, if subscriptions are only about £10 per year and give peace of mind, well worth the money.

H

Hooked

I don't wear one ( I carry a card in my wallet) but would highly recommend that others do, anything that helps in a time of crisis has to be seen in a positive light.
Many people tending to a person who has collapsed won't look in their bag or wallet for fear of looking like they are thieving from the person. But a medical bracelet stands more chance of being seen, in my opinion.

I've come across two strangers who'd gone unconscious in the past. Wouldn't have dared reach into pockets etc cos I didn't know what I might find or be accused of, but did check wrists and neck for id.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Many people tending to a person who has collapsed won't look in their bag or wallet for fear of looking like they are thieving from the person. But a medical bracelet stands more chance of being seen, in my opinion.

I've come across two strangers who'd gone unconscious in the past. Wouldn't have dared reach into pockets etc cos I didn't know what I might find or be accused of, but did check wrists and neck for id.

Good points Hooked and I fully agree with what you've said, however I'm sure the emergency services will check wallets for ID and will see the card in my wallet. well I hope so anyway.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good points Hooked and I fully agree with what you've said, however I'm sure the emergency services will check wallets for ID and will see the card in my wallet. well I hope so anyway.
Sorry, I wouldn't go through your wallet lol ! I think if you were unconscious, the general public would hopefully call 999 and just stay with you, hopefully someone who has First Aid training would monitor your ABC's and possibly put you in the "recovery position". On arrival of emergency services, if still unconscious, they would do the same. ABC's, monitor and transport. If there were an OBVIOUS bracelet etc, this would be acted upon but I have never heard or seen anyone go through a wallet. This is not taught at all. As before, I'm sure someone will know somebody who thinks different but I can only tell you what I see. Still, it certainly doesn't hurt to have something in your wallet. Even if barely conscious and you manage to show it to someone.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sorry, I wouldn't go through your wallet lol ! I think if you were unconscious, the general public would hopefully call 999 and just stay with you, hopefully someone who has First Aid training would monitor your ABC's and possibly put you in the "recovery position". On arrival of emergency services, if still unconscious, they would do the same. ABC's, monitor and transport. If there were an OBVIOUS bracelet etc, this would be acted upon but I have never heard or seen anyone go through a wallet. This is not taught at all. As before, I'm sure someone will know somebody who thinks different but I can only tell you what I see. Still, it certainly doesn't hurt to have something in your wallet. Even if barely conscious and you manage to show it to someone.

That is worrying, I thought at the very least the Ambulance Service or Police would check for ID in a persons wallet or bag so that family can be notified, understandably a member of the public wouldn't want to for the reasons Hooked has explained, thankfully I've never needed any third party assistance but what you've said does make me wonder......

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That is worrying, I thought at the very least the Ambulance Service or Police would check for ID in a persons wallet or bag so that family can be notified, understandably a member of the public wouldn't want to for the reasons Hooked has explained, thankfully I've never needed any third party assistance but what you've said does make me wonder......
I'm not trying to worry you and I am only talking about emergency situations. If you are unconscious, the police/fire or ambulance have no concern whatsoever what your name is or where you live. They treat as they find. However, if you were out and about and had a bad hypo that left you very confused or something, an ID or something is a good idea ! On the whole, better to have something in your wallet than not but a visible indicator such as bracelet or necklace is a better option as these would be seen quickly and medics are routinely taught to look out for them.

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I always wear one, bought a silicon one as that way I don't have to take it off if I go swimming etc.

H

Hooked

My worry would be how long it takes for emergency services to get there, and while they are treating you, how long would it be before they'd look through your stuff.

iHs

I would like to think that if paramedics were called out to deal with a diabetic, someone would be able to give details of how they have found a person in a collapsed state and what led to paramedics being called out in the first place. A hypo person usually is disoriented and looks fairly pale. Most paramedics should carry as part of their kit, a bg meter which then will explain the symptoms and if hypo will be able to insert a glucose drip to get someone back to normal.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a dogtag on a chain. It's from Medic Alert and has my headline conditions on the back with their phone number for more info. Luckily not needed yet, but I feel happier wearing it. I tried a bracelet but it got in the way and was not very 'blokey'.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@mo1905 maybe you'll know...A while back I read a long thread on which a medical person said that paramedics will look for bracelets but don't take any notice of tattoos. In your experience, do you reckon that's right?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
@mo1905 maybe you'll know...A while back I read a long thread on which a medical person said that paramedics will look for bracelets but don't take any notice of tattoos. In your experience, do you reckon that's right?
Any trained professional will certainly not ignore a tattoo or a bracelet. What may get missed is anything not immediately visible such as something in a wallet or an ICE ( in case of emergency ) number in a phone.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would like to think that if paramedics were called out to deal with a diabetic, someone would be able to give details of how they have found a person in a collapsed state and what led to paramedics being called out in the first place. A hypo person usually is disoriented and looks fairly pale. Most paramedics should carry as part of their kit, a bg meter which then will explain the symptoms and if hypo will be able to insert a glucose drip to get someone back to normal.

I'm a fan of the C5 series Emergency Bikers, in most cases when they find someone confused and disorientated they check their bg in case they are diabetic, I would hope it's a common policy to do so given the number of diabetics in the UK.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Any trained professional will certainly not ignore a tattoo or a bracelet. What may get missed is anything not immediately visible such as something in a wallet or an ICE ( in case of emergency ) number in a phone.

Mo, do you think there's been a change in policy now that they don't look in bags and wallets, I say this as back in the 80's when there wasn't a great deal of diabetic jewellery around we were always told to carry an ID card, we were assured if one was carried in a pocket, bag or wallet it would be found by the emergency services and acted upon, I'm wondering if there's been a change in direction :confused:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm a fan of the C5 series Emergency Bikers, in most cases when they find someone confused and disorientated they check their bg in case they are diabetic, I would hope it's a common policy to do so given the number of diabetics in the UK.
Yes, you're quite right. Anyone who appears confused or semi-conscious will spark possible diabetes alarm bells.

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Mo, do you think there's been a change in policy now that they don't look in bags and wallets, I say this as back in the 80's when there wasn't a great deal of diabetic jewellery around we were always told to carry an ID card, we were assured if one was carried in a pocket, bag or wallet it would be found by the emergency services and acted upon, I'm wondering if there's been a change in direction :confused:
I can only give my experience, I have worked for fire service and as EMT for approx 16 years now. Every year I have to do medical refresher training which is assessed and monthly on-going training. I have only ever been taught to look for bracelets or visible ID. I would never look in a person's wallet. Remember though, this is emergency situations where people are either unconscious or very confused or not alert and oriented. If a family member were to show me a card in a wallet or if you were able to tell me to look in wallet I would. I can only speak for Cambs area. Possibly there are different protocols where you live but I would be surprised if any medic routinely looked in a wallet/purse. It wouldn't look good to the public and could be misinterpreted. Hope I have not worried you, this was not my intention and I'm sure a good first responder would spot the signs anyway :)

Reactions: 3 people