Type 2 Medication review has changed things, but which drug should I stop?

cineman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. High BG levels
Hi. For yonks now I've been on type 2 medication, as well as other stuff. The diabetic medication is slow-release Metformin 2x500mg twice a day, Alogliptin 25mg once a day and Gliclazide 40mg in the morning and 80mg at night. Well I've now been put on Canagliflozin (like Dapagliflozin, only my surgery can't get that one) and that's 100mg once a day. My diabetic nurse said I needed to stop one of the other ones and it would either be the Gliclazide or the Alogliptin, but I don't know which. She has now gone on 2 weeks holiday and no one else knows what I'm talking about! So if any of you would know what medicine I need to stop, I would be very grateful to you, thanks!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s an impossible question for anyone here to answer. There really should be a record at your surgery, and if not, one of the doctors should be able to advise what to do next.

If all else fails can you not simply continue as you were for 2 weeks and then make the change?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For information Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. If you are a T2 with insulin resistance then you may already have too much insulin so Gliclazide may not be the best med. The Glipins work by suppressing a DPP-4 enzyme that in turn tells the pancreas to switch off after a meal. The result is that insulin is produced for longer. Again if as a T2 you may have too much insulin that med may also not be doing a lot. I know nothing about the diflozins. So, have a discussion with the nurse about insulin resistance and your weight and whether you are T2 or a mis-diagnosed T1. A C-Peptide test will show what your own insulin production is.