medium carb diet plan

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My son isn't diabetic but he wants to lose some weight and said he would like to try the medium carb diet .
Can anyone give me a link to it so i can show him please ?
thank you x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My son isn't diabetic but he wants to lose some weight and said he would like to try the medium carb diet .
Can anyone give me a link to it so i can show him please ?
thank you x
I don’t know how old your son is, but my 22 yr old son who isn’t diabetic lost a couple of stone by reducing his carbs. He used the app Nutracheck to help him. He doesn’t live at home and is not a brilliant chef but he managed very well.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen Moderate low carb described in various way - 30-50g carbs a day ( which overlaps with some definitions of the ketogenic diet as being under 50g carbs a day), 50- 100g a day and as wide as 100-150g + carbs a day.
Perrsonally, for a diabetic person, I would see 50-100g carbs / day as moderate low carb but for a non diabetic person I think the parameters would be wider, so more like 75-150g / day which would equate to around 25-50g carbs per meal and less than 50% of the carbs “ normally” ingested by most of the population
I would suggest looking for meals / recipes that he likes, can cook, which fall into that kind of carb range and which can then be put together to make up a meal plan that he might want to try

Last edited:
Reactions: Charis1213

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know how old your son is, but my 22 yr old son who isn’t diabetic lost a couple of stone by reducing his carbs. He used the app Nutracheck to help him. He doesn’t live at home and is not a brilliant chef but he managed very well.
Hi, He's 32 had a very serious accident back in 2011 and had to have his whole elbow replaced and since then his metabolism has slowed down , he now wants to try and lose weight so he has seen how its falling off me and his dad and wants to try low carb .
I've passed the link onto him to look at .

I was going to post a question for myself about Aldi tomato pissatta , can we have it on low carb/ keto ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi, He's 32 had a very serious accident back in 2011 and had to have his whole elbow replaced and since then his metabolism has slowed down , he now wants to try and lose weight so he has seen how its falling off me and his dad and wants to try low carb .
I've passed the link onto him to look at .

I was going to post a question for myself about Aldi tomato pissatta , can we have it on low carb/ keto ?

What does the nutritional information on the back of the jar/carton of passata say about carbohydrate value?

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know its a typo but I wouldn't want to eat anything called that!
what would you suggest cos i used to eat it with shredded steamed cabbage instead of pasta and make a bolagnese sauce with it with cheese on top ?
thanks .

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only way to know if its ok for you, is to test what it does to your blood sugars
Tomatoes are a fruit that is moderately high in carbs, but the carb count can vary quite widely between different varieties and between harvests of the same variety at different times of year.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
100g 5.7 carbohydrate of which sugars 4.7g

You can ignore the 'of which sugars' bit because this has already been added to the total carb number.
Now make the choice of whether to try it or not and of course test it against your meter reading results. If your meter shows a reading you are not happy with you can try a different brand with a lower carb value. Job's a goodun'.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
100g 5.7 carbohydrate of which sugars 4.7g
Its not too bad carb wise I just don't particularly like tomato sauce in any form so would just pan fry the mince in its own juices maybe add some herbs and a bit of chicken stock to make it sauce-like.
But I was more taken with you calling it pissata ..

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its not too bad carb wise I just don't particularly like tomato sauce in any form so would just pan fry the mince in its own juices maybe add some herbs and a bit of chicken stock to make it sauce-like.
But I was more taken with you calling it pissata ..
ha ha I know i couldn't be bothered to correct it :happy:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We use a tin of tomatoes for sauces and blend it, there are 3.4g of carbs per 100g in the Napolina brand and it works out at a quarter of a 400g tin per person so 3.4g. Testing is the way to find out, but that is a guide.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The USDA nutrient database is the only site I trust. They have done the leg work, and tested items unless where the item is a brand in which case they report the information that is given by the brand owners.
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/...okup=raw+tomatoes&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
Manufacturers do sometimes post nutrition information that is inaccurate and ultimately misleading.
As anybody who has looked at the nutrition information on some of the packs of bacon, in the cheaper(value) end of the market will surmise.
https://nutritionovereasy.com/2011/04/can-you-trust-the-nutrition-facts/
I have more to lose than these manufacturers do, if and when they get their nutrition information wrong.
It works for my all or nothing nature too,:wacky: I like to know exactly what I'm eating.o_O