Type 2 Metformin 500mg

Mscmhs1

I’m sure this gets asked all the time but after 18 months since being diagnosed with T2, I’m having to start Metformin.

I feel so upset, ashamed and angry at myself for getting to this stage (not intended to offend anyone else). I feel like I’ve lost a grip of my health. Can I ever really get back to feeling healthy?

Hoping Fung’s ‘Diabetes Code’ steers me in the right direction.

Also having to go into to the GP surgery this afternoon regarding high blood pressure. Its likely I’ll need medication for this also.

But back to the Metformin, I’ve heard or read such conflicting research, views and opinions about its benefits. What are people’s thoughts on it?

I’ve listened to podcasts in which some describe diabetes medications as a money maker for pharmaceutical and fast food industries. Maybe that’s right?

On 1 July, HbA1c was 76. A month later it’s at 73 so I’ve been told now is the time. But they’re the only high results I’ve had (or excessively high anyway) and before that they’d been between 47-53.

I’ve given up alcohol 3 months ago and so I have substituted that for other bad things like chocolate (something I never normally had a lot of!)

I’m feeling so deflated and flat right now. So sorry for the negative post. I never feel healthy any more (and I’m only 37). I think I’m starting to get a little depressed with it all. I also have ADHD for which the medication acts like an appetite suppressant but then I over compensate once it wears off!

I’ll make the changes I need. I’m determined to improve my life and my health but my God, it’s just so difficult and such a struggle.

Thank you for your words and encouragement on any other posts I’ve made. I don’t utilise this app as much as I probably should so don’t know any of you really. But I hope I can get the motivation and determination from your success stories and in time, hopefully, I may be able to offer the same in return.

Have a great day everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_4804.jpg
    IMG_4804.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 85

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your appointment at the GP surgery goes well, please don’t feel ashamed. And well done on giving up alcohol. There’s plenty of people on this forum who were in the same boat as you and managed to turn things around with the help of meds and some without.

I started this journey 3 weeks ago, not been easy, but reading testimonials on here and asking questions has really helped and motivated me

good luck

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
But back to the Metformin, I’ve heard or read such conflicting research, views and opinions about its benefits. What are people’s thoughts on it?

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. I was happy to go on a double blind medical trial (so I don't know whether I was taking it or not) for a couple of years to see if it would help T1s. Some people get bad gastric effects from it so if you're one of those it's probably a bad idea, but if you can tolerate it (and most people can) it's a relatively safe drug that's been around for a long time so its side effects are understood.

Nothing to stop you from taking it and dropping it if/when your levels improve. An hba1c corresponds to an average bg of 11.5, which is not ideal for anyone.

But please try to stop the guilt. Some people genetically cope with carbs worse than others, and the modern food industry pushes carbs in everything. T2 is not your fault.

JoeEBentleigh

Metformin works very well at getting blood sugar down if you take it regularly and don't eat too many carbs. If you are constantly stuffing yourself with carbs, it won't work so well because it can't work miracles. Exercise also helps keep blood sugar down. Losing weight is the best way to get your blood sugar down in the long term - indeed, some overweight folks are completely cured of type 2 diabetes by getting back to a healthy weight.

With regard to side effects from metformin, I had nausea and basically felt a bit poisoned for the first few days I was taking it - that's a common short-term side effect, though for a small number of people it causes ongoing nausea. The real problem I had with it was gastric pain - it caused a lot of gas, which gets trapped in the bowel, which is what causes the pain.

I eventually solved this problem by (a) ensuring I always took it on a full stomach (ie after meals) and (b) and very importantly - drinking plenty of water with it - usually about 400 ml. I've only rarely had gastric pain since adding the water.

BTW, no point being ashamed - controlling one's food intake is one of the most difficult things one can strive to do, especially in a society where you are tempted by a veritable smorgasbord of instantly available food every time you step out the door. I gave up smoking and drinking, but controlling my food intake is easily the toughest thing, because I love food and can easily eat far more than I need. I still periodically lose control of my food intake and get back into bad habits. The best long-term solution IMO is learning to cook for oneself, and eating healthy - plenty of vegetables, some fruit, and keep away from the high carb foods. Hope that helps, and good luck with your journey.

Last edited:

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Metformin works very well at getting blood sugar down if you take it regularly and don't eat too many carbs. If you are constantly stuffing yourself with carbs, it won't work so well because it can't work miracles. Exercise also helps keep blood sugar down. Losing weight is the best way to get your blood sugar down in the long term - indeed, some overweight folks are completely cured of type 2 diabetes by getting back to a healthy weight.

With regard to side effects from metformin, I had nausea and basically felt a bit poisoned for the first few days I was taking it - that's a common short-term side effect, though for a small number of people it causes ongoing nausea. The real problem I had with it was gastric pain - it caused a lot of gas, which gets trapped in the bowel, which is what causes the pain.

I eventually solved this problem by (a) ensuring I always took it on a full stomach (ie after meals) and (b) and very importantly - drinking plenty of water with it - usually about 400 ml. I've only rarely had gastric pain since adding the water.

BTW, no point being ashamed - controlling one's food intake is one of the most difficult things one can strive to do, especially in a society where you are tempted by a veritable smorgasbord of instantly available food every time you step out the door. I gave up smoking and drinking, but controlling my food intake is easily the toughest thing, because I love food and can easily eat far more than I need. I still periodically lose control of my food intake and get back into bad habits. The best long-term solution IMO is learning to cook for oneself, and eating healthy - plenty of vegetables, some fruit, and keep away from the high carb foods. Hope that helps, and good luck with your journey.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
A very honest thread. I love cakes, any kind, chocolate, crisps, pizza - I could eat for England. I have never smoked or drunk alcohol. I’m. changing my way of eating now but it is very hard. I will do this but I don’t think I will ever say - I don’t miss the junk I used to eat. X.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't think of any fast food suitable for a type two diabetic.
From leaving home back in the 1970s I found that I could not cope with the normal diet most people ate - we never ate like that at home, and I soon learned to calculate the carb content carefully and to eat carb free in the evenings.
When diagnosed and prescribed Metformin I went through a dreadful few weeks - luckily it is all quite hazy now as combined with Atorvastatin I had major problems.
These days I keep my intake under 40 gm of carbs a day and do very well on that. I still work part time and would have an active social life in normal times. I don't need medication.
Watch out if you do decide to do low carb, as I have heard of people having falls due to keeping on with the blood pressure medication even though they no longer needed it. On the low carb forum I am on, one person reported a rather bad fall which put them in hospital for some time - they were going dizzy just standing up so on a flight of stairs it was rather disastrous.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A very honest thread. I love cakes, any kind, chocolate, crisps, pizza - I could eat for England. I have never smoked or drunk alcohol. I’m. changing my way of eating now but it is very hard. I will do this but I don’t think I will ever say - I don’t miss the junk I used to eat. X.
I think it is good to be aware of this. For some people, myself included, the taste for that food of stuff doesn’t change (except on some places like "full fat" coke to me is now disgusting but carb laden tastes as it always did) so it does take will power to keep away

I’m far from perfect, but I am trying as hard as I can with diet and exercise.

@Mscmhs1 I was in metformin and other drugs for many years and had little to no effects in general (None on metformin once on slow release)

I cannot guarantee you will get back to a state of feeling healthy but it is quite likely but does need constant vigilance and a change to how you eat and exercise and how you live your life really.

it is not shameful, to me, to need drugs to make you better, there hopefully are ways so you don’t need them but if these are a way to help get on track whilst you make those changes or a longer term thing then that or high bloods, I know which I would rather have

but you have good advice from here so hopefully you can find the way that works for you

genetically some of us get T2. Some studies show that it can contribute to weight gain. Some of us ate poorly and needed to lose weight so not helping ourselves. I own that, having T2 isn't my fault but there are aspects I could and now try to control

There are many larger people who don’t, there are some slim who do. If you are one of us who has it then there are ways to control it and hold it at bay. Lowering carbs works for many; weight loss and exercise can help too. It's a combination of lots of factors

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello- I'd like to echo some of the previous posters. I am on metformin- 1 tablet a day. I have no side effects provided I take it with food.

My taste buds have not changed. I have gone very low carb for more than 2 years but my taste buds remain the same. I have no real difficulty remaining low carb as the problems from uncontrolled blood sugar levels can be severe. I stick on the straight and narrow and most days it doesn't bother me. Every now and then it does. But this is the decision I have made for my health. I find it easier to have very low carb than a higher level- less time trying to see how many things I could have while keeping in my limits. It would not be 'healthy' carbs that I would be adding.

But seriously I have no problem with metformin. I'd rather take that and enjoy whatever benefits it may give than worry about higher levels. Your decision today doesn't have to be forever. You can make different choices in the future.

Remember there are many people who never develop diabetes despite having a bad diet.

It is easy to feel deflated and upset. However, I will say this- I am probably at my healthiest since going very low carb. My life long asthma has gone and I've ;most weight without counting calories for the first time ever. This is not the end of your life but it might be the beginning of a better life,

Take care.