Metformin and Vitamin B12 deficiency

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Metformin for nearly 3 years, I've been on 3 x 850 mg for most of that time. Until I started low carbing a few months ago and have mostly given up bread and wheat products, I had a lot of IBS-D, which is`a lot better now.

I have a lot of symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency which my GP has diagnosed as Chronic Fatigue including: tiredness, wooly memory, vertical ridged nails, sore mouth and throat, depression, dizzyness.

I had a blood test which said I had a level of 283 vitamin B12, I couldn't see what the measurement was in.

Has anyone else on Metformin been diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency as I'm not happy being put in the Chronic Fatigue box as I think there is something physical causing my problems.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done lots of googling, so know the connection between metformin and b12 deficiency. Was wondering if anyone here has had to change from metformin because it gave them b12 deficiency by upsetting their stomach so much.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Denise.
It's not that the lack of B12 upsets your stomach as it is the Metformin that can upset your stomach. Metformin has the side effect where it can deplete the body's reserves of Vit B12.

The levels are shown in ng/l. (nanagrams per litre). All labs use slightly different ranges, the one I use has the range from 197 - 866. So your level of 283 would be classed as within range but at the lower end of the scale. Just as mine was, which required treatment. My level was lower than yours at 228.

Was a treatment option discussed at all ?

I had Cancer treatment and I am also on Metformin (2 x 500 once daily). After my treatment blood tests showed I had low levels of B12. This can be rectified quite easily by either having a course of injections or taking Cyanocobalamin Tablets. My levels are now back to a more normal level although still a little lower than I want, I feel better for having them. No fatigue.

I chose the daily tablets as I already inject twice daily and wasn't looking forward to any more injections. There is no need for the Metformin to be stopped unless you truly cannot tolerate them, there is always the slow release versions, MR/SR.

Talk to your GP about it.

Ken

DazG

I have a vit b12 deficiency due to Nexium, which will now do doubt be made worse by taking metformin, but I take a supplement that you stick under your tongue and let dissolve and that seems to keep it in check.

I do get the occasional symptom of b12 def but I just take more of the suppliment to build it back up.

Different parts of the country have different levels of deficiency, mine was 183 when I was tested for it and they still didnt treat it even tho I had all of the horrible symptoms, people in other parts of the country would be treated at that level, so now I just sort it myself but do request a b12 blood test every 3 months to keep an eye on it.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ken for the information.

I went to the GP this morning, I'd got it wrong with the numbers it was 238, but as his lower level is 180, I was told again that my levels were normal, he also told me that anyone else who was tested would have levels like this too (I didn't believe this for one moment) he also told me that it would be unethical to give me B12 injections at this level.

I did manage to get a referral to the diabetes consultant at the hospital, which I've never had previously and he did say he would refer me to someone who has an interest in this sort of thing too.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Buy some B12 tablets - see if they make you feel better. PM me if you'd like a link. I bought some B12 lozenges [link removed, non -approved site mentioned] a while back. I think I paid less than £5 incl. p&p.