Metformin increase

Amycav85

Hi everyone me again!

My dose of metformin SR was increased last week to 1g twice a day and honestly I have never felt so shocking! Bad stomach cramps, diarrhoea, nausea and back ache is this normal? When I was on 500mg twice a day I was fine. Not sure how much longer I can continue like this

Reactions: Spiritedgirl

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Amycav, could you ask your GP if you can go back to the 500mg twice a day for another week, then add just one more tablet for another week, then the 4th? Slowly, slowly can sometimes help.

Are you taking them with food?

Reactions: Amycav85

Amycav85

Hi Amycav, could you ask your GP if you can go back to the 500mg twice a day for another week, then add just one more tablet for another week, then the 4th? Slowly, slowly can sometimes help.

Are you taking them with food?
Hi thanks for your reply. Funnily enough I have just spoken to the gp who has told me to do exactly what you said. She said the nurse shouldn't have put my dose up so quickly it should have been increased gradually. I officially have given up with my nurse she's useless! Yes I do take with food I dread to think how I'd feel if I didn't

Reactions: Bodewhin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you need to take more Metformin?
When I gave up on it I felt so much better, and my blood glucose was normal and has stayed normal.
I am told my reaction was unusual.
Quite a few people seem to have unusual reactions to it, from what I've read.

Reactions: Amycav85

Amycav85

When I gave up on it I felt so much better, and my blood glucose was normal and has stayed normal.
My hba1c was originally 87 but is now 62 so it's coming down so I'm not really sure why I need to take more than 2. She seems to want my levels to come down over night. I'm not going to take any at all today and start 2 again tomorrow. I feel awful.

Amycav85

What reaction did you have? I was absolutely fine on X2 500mg but the jump to 4 is not good.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I started on one tablet of Metformin and one of Atorvastatin, and in the following 5 weeks I think I managed 2 tablets twice, not in the same week.
I had violent stomach cramps, and explosive diarrhoea. My sense of taste changed so everything tasted strange. My muscles and joints ached, my hair fell out and I could not remember why I'd got up and gone somewhere, nor what I'd done in the previous days. I became very depressed, stopped singing and playing music. Everything was such an effort. I thought I'd have to go into a care home.

Amycav85

I started on one tablet of Metformin and one of Atorvastatin, and in the following 5 weeks I think I managed 2 tablets twice, not in the same week.
I had violent stomach cramps, and explosive diarrhoea. My sense of taste changed so everything tasted strange. My muscles and joints ached, my hair fell out and I could not remember why I'd got up and gone somewhere, nor what I'd done in the previous days. I became very depressed, stopped singing and playing music. Everything was such an effort. I thought I'd have to go into a care home.
That's sounds awful! My cramps are painful I haven't gotten out of bed yet. Feel very fed up with everything at the minute.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had similar issues, I was fine in the 2* 500mg but pushing up caused issues. Lucky for me about 1 weeks in is dropped.in level and within 2 weeeks was back to normal.

Work it up slowly but if you were fine before its likely you will be find after a couple of week if you stick it out

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Same as @Resurgam, I could not tolerate metformin. I've never had pains like it. I would be bent double in agony. We are not all the same and drugs really do work differently for different folk. Best of luck.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also be aware that metformin and too many carbs can cause "gastric" issues, so if you have to take it then watch your diet, and ask for the SR - slow release - version which is kinder on the system.

When I was diagnosed I started cutting right down on high carb foods immediately, and only ever had a couple doses of diarrhoea - both after eating a higher carb meal again.

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins can cause muscle and joint pains for a lot of people,
I was on simvastatin a few years back causing me pain in joints so doc put me on Atovastatin ,ok for 2 years But now pain again so have taken myself off for a few weeks.
No pain now , so it could be the statin .

Amycav85

Statins can cause muscle and joint pains for a lot of people,
I was on simvastatin a few years back causing me pain in joints so doc put me on Atovastatin ,ok for 2 years But now pain again so have taken myself off for a few weeks.
No pain now , so it could be the statin .
Hi im not on statins I just had a pushy nurse trying to get me to take them it was definitely the metformin increase as I haven't had any today and I feel great again.