METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

AL1

Dislikes
Having this diagnosis of Diabetes :0(
Drivers who hog the middle lane, move over will ya!
Food police, oh purleze!
Metformin

Hi

My GP has changed my Metformin to a slow release (Glucophage) version and increased the dose to 2 per day. Still feel sick, and tummy feels upset. I take meds with food, AM and PM.

How long did it take other people to feel OK on the same medication as I am?

The nausea is starting to get me down :(

Thanks

Ali

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Re: taking metaformin

I have been on Metformin for a short while now. One aday for the first month and it was upt it to 2 a day. Have you tried taking it with your food. Instead of after or before. My eyes have been ok, but my general eyes sight has definatley got worse.
I have not had the runs but the revearse. Any one else had this reaction?
Hope you get sorted soon/

stewart.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Not eating fast carbs.

HI
I had the same probs when first on metformin. I was eventually given slow release metformin and probs cleared up. The slow release are more expensive so they test the cheaper ones on people first. Ask for the sr and you should be given them, if you have given the cheapos a chance to settle down.

stewart.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Not eating fast carbs.
Re: Metformin

Hi
I had the same probs before sr metformin. As I seem to remember it took a few days to settle down. But after this no real probs. I'm no expert, but you should be feeling better soon, hang in there.
edit= You can see I have memory probs too!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

It took me about 7 to 10 days for the SR type to settle down with me and that was after a very long time trying to get settled with the standard type, which I found to be very gut aggressive.

becky_v

I'm new to this, but was on Metformin a couple of years back as I suffer from polycystic ovarie syndrome. If you take the metformin with your food in my experience there shouldn't be a problem with sickness, however I was diagnosed with diabetes last week and put straight on metformin (a colleague of mine, i work partically in the health care industry, told me that all GP's will turn straight to metformin in the first instance because it is the cheapest!) i was already suffering from sickness, have been for the last 3 weeks. I went back to see the nurse on Monday this week and told her about the sickness and straight away she changed my meds to gliclazide. so far, touch wood, no further sickness. this may be masked however by the fact my gp has also prescribed me anti sickness meds!! I'm a walking pharmacy at present :(

If the sickness persists then go back to you gp / nurse and stamp your feet!

mamahen

I take 3 X 500mg/day. I find by taking them all together after my evening meal I avoid the upset stomach. Previously I was taking one in the morning & found by lunchtime I would be dashing to the loo.Seems odd to take them all at once, not throughout the day but I am assured this is OK.
I found Statin gave me very achey limbs for a few weeks, but this settled down

AL1

Dislikes
Food police, oh purleze!
Hi

What's the difference between Moderate Release and Slow Release Metformin? I think mines MR. Is one better than the other, say for instance, feeling less sick on the SR version opposed to MR?

I'm actually beginning to feel less sick today, which is brill! :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
AL1 said:
Hi

What's the difference between Moderate Release and Slow Release Metformin? I think mines MR. Is one better than the other, say for instance, feeling less sick on the SR version opposed to MR?

I'm actually beginning to feel less sick today, which is brill! :)

There is no difference at all........different manufacturers use one or other name that's all.
SR = Slow release. MR = Modified release. There is also XR - Extended release.
All the same thing.......

They all contain the active ingredient Metformin and are released over a longer period of time so that should minimise the 'unfortunate' effects of Standard Metformin. That is also known by another name IR = Immediate release.

Hope that helps...... :)

AL1

Dislikes
Food police, oh purleze!
cugila said:
There is no difference at all........different manufacturers use one or other name that's all.
SR = Slow release. MR = Modified release. There is also XR - Extended release.
All the same thing.......

They all contain the active ingredient Metformin and are released over a longer period of time so that should minimise the 'unfortunate' effects of Standard Metformin. That is also known by another name IR = Immediate release.

Hope that helps...... :)

Oh yes, IR, too right! :lol:

Thanks for the reply :D

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Is the slow release recommended for anyone, I have the normal ones that have I need to take twice a day, I keep forgetting the second one and do find they affect my tummy somewhat. Wondering if I could ask GP to change?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have been on Metformin for 7 1/2 years, initially 3 x 500mg with 40m Gliclazide then for a bit 1 x 60mg Starlix with each meal and for the last few years 2 x 500mg and dropped the Gliclazide Hb A1c in the 5s.
My GP warned me they are trying to get everyone on to insulin, but what aare they going to do about test strips if they do?
I Don't Need insulin
I control my carbs.
Landsman, you say your chef wife cooks low fat and no sugar. the low fat isn't an issue for diabetics. Tou can use as much fat qas you like, it won't affect your BG. Starches however and to a lesse extent proteins WILL. In fact 10grams of starch will raise your blood glucose twice as much as 10 grams of sugar.
Starches convert to glucose in the body and are a trap for unwary diabetics.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
Landsman, you say your chef wife cooks low fat and no sugar. the low fat isn't an issue for diabetics. Tou can use as much fat qas you like, it won't affect your BG. Starches however and to a lesse extent proteins WILL. In fact 10grams of starch will raise your blood glucose twice as much as 10 grams of sugar.
Starches convert to glucose in the body and are a trap for unwary diabetics.
Hana

Hana.
Yet again you dole out advice about fat to all and sundry without knowing the full facts. :(

Low fat intake IS an issue for MANY Diabetic's.....I am one of them. Taking your advice could cause me problems, make me ill. Who is to say that this person also may be like me and should avoid too much fat ?

Do you know this persons medical history ?

Do you know if they have a problem with fat ?

Telling people that fat isn't a problem is simply not true........I have to reduce fat consumption because of my medical history and the unfortunate effect it has if I ignore that advice from my Endo.

Diabetic blood glucose control is not the only thing to consider. It is time you realised that. Fat consumption might and can have an effect on an individual in many ways that you haven't even begun to think about ......... :(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Fat is definitely an issue for this Diabetic ! Cannot tolerate a lot of fat in my diet at all.

Nearly four years of low carbing and low fat intake I have lost over three stone and still do not take any Diabetic medication. So it must be working for me.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's OK Sue........ :)

Hana picked this up from October 18th, 2008, 3:40 pm

2008 !!!! No wonder we had no idea where it had come from....... :eek:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Fat is an issue for me, I have never been overweight, nor been into eating high bad fat, unhealthy foods - but Dr said cholesterol was high due to diabetes as the two are often linked, so now I have to watch my fat intake. Have managed to keep it low by using Flora Pro activ and Benecol, seems they actually work.

peaches1

question about Metformin

hi all wondering if you all could help me please

well i take metformin tablets 500mg one in the morning and one later on but theres only one problem i have totally forgotton if i have taken the 2nd one

i have already taking the morning one but i am not sure if i have taking the 2nd one at 5 or mabey i have

what should i do ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: question about Metformin

Do nothing until the next dose is due. If you have taken the 2nd one then you will overdose yourself !

Just monitor your Bg levels. There shouldn't be too much difference as Metformin typically only lowers levels by 1 or 2 points, even when at the Max dose which is 2g.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Re: question about Metformin

Hi Yvonne..... :D