METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

Lynmi

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: METFORMIN

Cant say if it will cause you any issues or not, but I've been on 4 Metformin a day for the last 6 months and I've always had to take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. When asking my nurse if when having a main meal at lunch time (ie a Sunday roast) should I adjust my tables and take them at lunch time she was adamant that I waited and took them with a snack in the evening.

Lyn

Fly Fisher

Hi Lyn,

Thanks very much for your reply. Its a funny situation that may be trivial, but id like to know. Thanks again. :)

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'

Hi

I have my main meal at lunchtime every day, but I was still told to take my Metformin morning and night.

Ailz

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Hello to a fellow brother of the angle :D

As far as I am aware it is usual to split metformin into two doses taken with breakfast and evening meal, if you are unsure you should ring your doctor but I suspect that you may have been misinformed or had misinterpreted the instructions.

Tight lines

I shoot Nikons

Hi guys,

For the past 4 months or so my appetite has been out of control. The nurse and GP both said that the Metformin would go some way to suppressing this. I've been on the drugs (1 at B for the first week, 1 at B&D the second week and 1 at B,L&D thereafter) for 4 weeks now and it doesn't seem to be quenching the almost constant hunger pangs. So far I'm managing to just 'ignore' them, but it would be great if the meds would pick up some of the slack. Is there a specific time-frame to wait before trying to find something else to help would you say?

Ross

michlo

Hi

I've been taking Metformin for 3 months now, i take 2x500mg but with some blood pressure tablets as well, due to working shifts and all the upheaval of different working hours week by week, with my dietician i have a regime whereby i take the meds all in one go once a day and as long as i stick to not eating serious amounts of food after 8pm and before 6am (my night shift) i appear to be coping quite well.

I do have issues with Bg levels on nights as they tend to be between 9 and 10 at about 3am but down to 7.5 by breakfast..

My last HBa1c was 7.2 oooh scary but at least no insulin...

However due to a better eating regime i have lost 18kg in the last 5 months and this will continue...as i am still 5 stone too heavy.

sk_93

ive got a presentation to do on metformin, can anyone please tell me the formulations abailable for metformin in the uk, and possibly any good recources i could use. thankyou.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I have been on Metformin for around a year now, starting at one a day and increasing to two a day in January. Although not had too much trouble, they definitely do affect my stomach from time to time and so I have now asked GP for slow release, not started them yet as I am finishing current supply of Metformin, not wanting to be wasteful and mindful of local government's recent concern on wasted prescriptions. I will get back with outcome when known.

Morgaine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
bad manners house/rap
hello everyone. I too started on Metformin (T2) early September 2011. I struggled with it till a recent review with my DNS. The diarrhoea, wind and stomach upsets were horrible. She prescribed me the slow release version and so far I have been fine. I also think it is helping me control my blood sugar levels better. The thought of going on insulin fills me with dread, mostly because I'm hopeless at maths, calculations etc and I find it hard to work out in grams! Ah well, no need to meet trouble half-way! If needs must then I'll have to!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Hi Morgaine -
Of course I am just a novice and by no means an expert, and have no idea of your diabetic specs or what your GP has told you, but I am also given to understand that, although T2s can need to use insulin, this is by no means a given - I get by from day to day and try to deal with diabetes the best way I can with diet, life style etc - not always perfect but then I see it as a challenge - I think that is all we can do, and try not to worry about possible long term outcomes (aside of doing all we can to avoid them that is). Hopefully, you (and I) will never have to use insulin (I really hate needles and blood, bad composition for a diabetic :oops: ), but I am sure if the day comes there will be lots of support to say how to with measurements etc :)

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I started on Metformin today with 2x500g with lunch and another 2x500 with tomorrows breakfast.

Woah Nelly!..........I can only assume that the weight loss associated with this med comes from the associated trots/sprints to the toilet. At this rate I can drop from 15.5 stones to the recommended 11.5 by next Tuesday afternoon........

Watch this space (but dont stand too close.....)

andybob

Hi all
I started on Metformin 500mg 1 4 times a day. they gave me terrible wind and when I mentioned this I was put on the slow release version - but still windy. I was told because I was dieting and eating differently that it was probably that causing the wind. To help get my numbers under control I was put on gliclazide 2 tabletsin the morning as well as 4 metformin. I was told to keep my numbers within these ranges: Fasting 6 - 8 and after meals 8 -10. I do seem to manage this most of the time but sometimes go as low as 4.1. my last HBA1c was 7% which they were happy with.
From what i've read here my numbers seem quite high!

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I was told to take 1 for a week, then 2 for a week, then 3 (my max dose). This was to ease me on to them so that the "digestive" side-effects weren't too bad. In your place I'd ring the surgery and enquire if it would be okay to increase in weekly stages, from 1 a day up to your 4.

Good luck!

Viv 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
viviennem said:
I was told to take 1 for a week, then 2 for a week, then 3 (my max dose). This was to ease me on to them so that the "digestive" side-effects weren't too bad. In your place I'd ring the surgery and enquire if it would be okay to increase in weekly stages, from 1 a day up to your 4.

Good luck!

Viv 8)

Agree with Viv here, Metformin as far as I was aware should be stepped up gradually from 500mg once a day and then adding 500mg every week till the full 2000mg is being taken split breakfast and evening meal.

It can also help fend off the side effects if taken with food rather than before or after a meal, so try taking them after the first few mouthfulls of food :D

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 3 of using Metformin (no build up, straight in at 2000mg)
After the first dose caused volcanic eruptions...that seems to have been it!
I havent had any effect since......other than a fasting reading of 6.4 which was the lowest in the last 4 months!
I have been told to take them at breakfast and lunch though, which differs from the majority of folk who take them with their evening meal. I also take them during a meal rather than just before or after.

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: metformin side effects

I was diagnosed with Diabetes last August, the doctor put me on Metformin 750mg, i lasted less than a week and had to phone in sick to work because I was running to the loo..

The doctor took me of this and put me on Actos, this blew me up like a balloon and I put on 2 stone in a short period of time,

I have now been put back on Metformin on the 500mg this time, and i have been having 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening, i have been relatively ok and my underlying blood results have been 8.1 although my daily sugar levels are between 11 & 12, because of this he has told me to increase the tablets to 4 a day, I started this on Monday, and since then I have been running to the toilet again.

What I am looking to know is, will this settle down at all, or am I going to have to get this changed again?? I am not on the slow release tablets..

Any advice appreciated

I had a bad reaction too when I increased the dose, I did some research and found that bad cramps were due to low potassium when taking
Metformin, after I started eating more foods with potassium in it my tummy was better, bought plain yogurt, drink milk, apricots, tuna, cod ,salmon, tomato paste ( teaspoon) banana , raisins , and baked potato with skin on, try some of these and I'm certain things will improve, if you get sudden foot cramp tonic water is handy, it has quinine in it

kaycam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin : How long before side effects start ?

Hi,

I found out I have high blood sugar earlier this week and my Doctor prescribed me with Metformin, I had the hospital blood test today so am awaiting results which will be ready for me at my next appointment with him on Tuesday.

So far I have only took one tablet of the 2 x 500mg per day which I have been prescribed, I'll take the second one this evening with my dinner.

Can anyone tell me based on their own experience when the side effects will start if they are going to happen ? I know due to the half life of the drug it takes approximately three days to accumulate the full steady 'dosage' in my system.

Also how long does it take for Metformin to make a difference to the blood sugar readings ? This is a little confusing as I have read people saying that it can take up to three weeks before it makes any difference - is this right ?

Right now I don't know if I'm Type 1 or 2 but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks

Neil
Hi Neil. I started taking Metformin about 2 month ago. 1 a day for the first week then 2 a day since then. The first week or so i had terrible nausea and severe wind. This was horrible and nearly gave up on them but as the week went on it eased off and now i have no side effects at all. Just remember not to take them on an empty stomach. Have only started testing this week so not sure how long they took to be effective. Have been testing at different times to see what effect certain foods etc have on me. Readings have been a little high at some points and seems to be down to carbs so have cut right down on them and things are looking better :) Good Luck

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Neil. I started taking Metformin about 2 month ago. 1 a day for the first week then 2 a day since then. The first week or so i had terrible nausea and severe wind. This was horrible and nearly gave up on them but as the week went on it eased off and now i have no side effects at all. Just remember not to take them on an empty stomach. Have only started testing this week so not sure how long they took to be effective. Have been testing at different times to see what effect certain foods etc have on me. Readings have been a little high at some points and seems to be down to carbs so have cut right down on them and things are looking better :) Good Luck

Gastrointestinal disturbance can range from indigestion to explosive diarrhoea. If this become a ask your doctor for sustained release preparation. It works for me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AVT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i have been diagnosed with type 2 on metformin
Just wondering if slow release is better
Could ask my gp to change
Whats the fiffetence anyone please?

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't seem to have the runny bowels any more but I still have the 'generally unwell, fuzzy, slow' feeling every day.
I hope to be off them soon, as I managed to come off the gliczide, and pray for the day that happens.