METFORMIN QUESTIONS and ANSWERS

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: metformin side effects

Janieb said:
Well I wont be going on that then.
I have loads of weight to loose dont want to put any on.

Metformin is not usually associated with weight gain and is in fact sometimes used to help people lose weight. It is also not a fact that you will get side effects such as those listed by previous posters. It only reduces Bg levels by around 1-2 mmol/l and then only when you are on the maximum doses.

Most times, to reduce Bg levels significantly you also need to address any diet issues, reduce carbohydrates......then you will see a much more dramatic weight loss and also reduction in Bg numbers.

Ken

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Metformin - not diabetic

I find with metformin that it just makes me sick sometimes, no matter what I eat. I found the slow release type is a lot better than the normal type though.

triliaeris

It actually is for PCOS. I didn't realize there was a slow release version to be honest. If this doesn't get under control within the first couple of weeks then maybe I'll talk to my doc about that.

Right now I'm eating tons of small meals. It seems like the ONLY time I'm not sick is about 15 min after eating. I don't know why I didn't think about ginger!!! lol I eat that when I'm car sick. Silly me, we have some ginger stuff at home so I'll try that today and see how it goes.

The first day was rough, second and third were WAY better, then yesterday was awful. Blech...sadly I have to go make breakfast now and then take that dang pill again. :p lol

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet - do you always take the metformin with food? That will help a bit with the side effects.

triliaeris

Oh yeah, taking it right after I eat. I was just hoping for something to help manage this a bit. Maybe it's one of those things where you tell yourself "I WILL feel better and I will NOT ALWAYS feel sick from this." lol

Just gotta stay positive and keep taking it. Ugh. :)

triliaeris

One more question....is it normal to feel exhausted on this medicine? I don't know if that is what is causing it...I figure if it's making me feel sick all of the time it's perfectly logical for my body to say "whoa, get sleep".

Does anyone know though?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*

Have you checked out the PCOS support forums? They have a thread running about metformin & tiredness:-

pcoscommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11608

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)

I've got an appointment to see my nurse Monday - been off Metformin now for two weeks and feel so much better. So hopefully what ever she puts me on Monday instead wont make be feel so crumby.

Janieb

Dislikes
People who think that all diabetics are lazy - think some education is in order :0)
Re: Metformin Side Effects

Hey, yep was pretty sick and had some major side effects so bad I ended up in A&E one night.
I'm seeing my nursie on Monday so hopefully shes got some tablets that work and dont add weight as cant seem to shift any at the moment and certainly dont want to add any.

Janieb

Dislikes

Hey there, headaches turning into aural migraines ( sparkly lights in eyes) , stomache ache, running to the loo, being sick , dizzy, very cold and fainting.

Sorry there have been a few - apparently I am allergic to them lol

Janieb

Dislikes

HI all been to see the docs tonight and shes put me on SR Metformin so hopefully I will be fine on that - just got two weeks medication then back to see her to see how I'm doing.

She basically said that my side effects were rare and if I had a similar reaction that she'd try me on something else.

angelal

Hello, am new to the site and just wanted to ask if I am being unrealistic in asking my Diabetic Nurse to change my 850g x 3 per day Metformin to go on the slow release version? I was told that the doctor would not prescribe it because it is too expensive. My HBA1c was 8.9 at the last test. My problem is that I forget to take the lunchtime dose due to pressures of work. I have been trying to remember to take it but am still not quite there. She has been trying to get me to take another tablet which can produce hypos and I have been resisting it due to the fact that I am still working and drive. Any ideas about whether I can insist on the SR version. Also has anyone taken this and found any side effects?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Angelal.

Your problem is that you are able to tolerate the Metformin apparently. It seems it is more for your convenience rather than any medical need. You might be able to persuade them if you were having difficulty with it. :wink:

The GP/Nurse is correct that the SR versions are much more expensive, around £6.14 - £6.40 net per 56 tab pack. Compared to 56 ordinary Met for £1.33 net. Quite a difference !

You may be able to persuade them to let you but it really is their decision, not yours. :(

Ken

RobEarls

Do the side effects go away? I've been taking them for 2 weeks now and yesterday was pretty bad. I just had to curl up in bed and sleep through it.

Stomach cramps and running to the loo mainly.

I've already got IBS, so I'm only on 2 Metformin tablets per day, instead of 3.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

RobEarls said:
Do the side effects go away? I've been taking them for 2 weeks now and yesterday was pretty bad. I just had to curl up in bed and sleep through it.

Stomach cramps and running to the loo mainly.

I've already got IBS, so I'm only on 2 Metformin tablets per day, instead of 3.

From my own experience from many years ago, yes they do. However there is no hard and fast rule. Some people as evidenced on here will continue with the side effects and sometimes have to go off the Met. As with any drug, everybody is different in how they react to them, or not, as the case may be.

With having IBS it might be an idea to discuss this again with your GP. There is the slow release versions which are usually better tolerated which may be more suitable for you.

Ken

amiee

Metformin and weight loss

I was found to be type 2 in October 09 sugars 29 ,8,5.7. i am on one metformin a day reduced from two per day at last 3 mnth check with nurse.Problem is I cant stop weight loss without upping fats
and now they want to see me about cholestrol which was 8 and is now 5.8 but they want below 4.
My sugars are steady does enyone else have a problem keeping weight on?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Metformin and weight loss

Metformin can cause/help with weight loss. Some of the other medications for type 2 diabetes have a side effect of weight gain, maybe ask if it is possible to switch to one of those?
Also have you spoken to your GP about this weight loss? I'd do that asap if I were you. Make sure you speak to a dr that knows about diabetes.

amiee

Re: Metformin and weight loss

Thanks I feel it is the metformin as when the dosage was halved to one per day weight loss slowed
down but as I have to watch cholestorol level too it makes it harder.
I would like to try diet controlled as levels are never above 5 but dont know if doctor will allow this.