Metformin SR horrid side effects

Mrs Nixon

i was feeling absolutely fine pre-diabetic even though my blood sugar had gone to 7.6. I had to start Metformin 1 x 500 mg a day. It was changed to slow-release a week later due to ill effects and I felt fine. Following instructions I took two x 500 mg a day. After a few days I was weak, felt ill and by nightfall was staggering and reeling (no alcohol!) I reported to my GP, after waiting a week for a phone consultation. He told me that in that case I must double up to 4 x 500 mg a day! I have delayed this, because Metformin makes me so feel exhausted all day, unable to function to do household chores properly, let alone exercise. I am considering stopping Metformin and going on to a strict regime of low-carb and exercise. Anything to avoid medication. Does anybody else relate to this? Stopped Metformin and is doing well?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am considering stopping Metformin and going on to a strict regime of low-carb and exercise. Anything to avoid medication. Does anybody else relate to this? Stopped Metformin and is doing well?
We have many members who are successfully treating their diabetes with a low carb diet alone, and have done so for years.
This doesn't necessarily mean that this approach will be enough for everyone of course.
But there are other medications besides metformin as well if needed.

I think you'll like this subforum: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Of course not every thread there applies to your situation, but many do. :)

And if you're considering lowering your carbs, you might like to have a read of this, written by one of our members: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

And if it helps you to stay on the wagon if you share your meals, or if you like to get some ideas for meals, on this thread in the low carb section of the forum we share what we eat: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2742

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on metformin when I was initially diagnosed with T2 at the end of 2013. I also took opportunity - and my GP's advice! - to cut back down on my (not from choice) high carbohydrate diet, and within a couple of months I was able to reduce and keep my glucose levels at low pre-diabetic figures. In 2017, due to these results my GP eventually decided I could manage without the metformin so I currently maintain my pre-diabetic levels with diet alone - my much preferred low carb menu is actually closer to what I grew up eating than the excessive carbs I'd ended up with. Basically I eat enough protein for my body's maintenance/repair, and for my energy requirements I mainly rely on enough normal/full fat "fuel" rather than large quantities of carbohydrates.

I'm inactive now due to old age & arthritic hips but when diagnosed my main exercise was walking my dogs and normal household/gardening activities - the last time I was anywhere near a gym was in my school days in the 1950s.

Regarding metformin, I never actually had any of the usual unpleasant gastric type side effects - possibly due to low carbing but one brand did disagree with me.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i was feeling absolutely fine pre-diabetic even though my blood sugar had gone to 7.6. I had to start Metformin 1 x 500 mg a day. It was changed to slow-release a week later due to ill effects and I felt fine. Following instructions I took two x 500 mg a day. After a few days I was weak, felt ill and by nightfall was staggering and reeling (no alcohol!) I reported to my GP, after waiting a week for a phone consultation. He told me that in that case I must double up to 4 x 500 mg a day! I have delayed this, because Metformin makes me so feel exhausted all day, unable to function to do household chores properly, let alone exercise. I am considering stopping Metformin and going on to a strict regime of low-carb and exercise. Anything to avoid medication. Does anybody else relate to this? Stopped Metformin and is doing well?
I've never taken metformin (or any other diabetes med) and I'm doing great - low carb has worked very well for me (I'm on around 20g carb/day and usually in ketosis). I will be three years in remission next month.

Lots of energy, almost no diabetic symptoms, a number of other things have cleared up (gout, apnea) and feeling better than I have for ten years.

Reactions: Mo R and saky