Metformin & Strokes

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I just thought I'd ask if anyone has ever heard of of Metformin being a reason for having a mini-stroke?

The reason for asking is a friend of mine took 3 doses of Metformin 500mg over 3 days and then had a mini-stroke,

I was unaware of metformin being a stroke risk, I told him I thought that it was just an unfortunate coincidence, but then I thought of asking the collective...

Reactions: Freema

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I don't really see how Metformin could contribute to a stroke - I too would say it's a coincidence. Stroke risks build up over time - smoking , bad diet etc . Mini strokes are usually a warning sign . I hope your friend will make a good recovery

Reactions: Freema

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Mmmm... I had a small stroke in September after being on Metformin SR for six months, despite being below the diabetes threshold...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say the high blood sugars over a prolonged period are what led to a mini stroke rather than the Metformin. High blood sugars are a known cause of strokes. As far as I know, Metformin isn't. High blood pressure also plays a part, and of course, a poor diet.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not read any indication that Metformin will cause a TIAs .. I had a few, many years ago that were caused by stress, was not on any meds at the time

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all thanks for that,

I'm seeing him in the next free days, when he's up for it so thanks for all your input and I'll show him your responses.

Reactions: ickihun

lindisfel

Expert
Metformin reduces vit b12 and reduced b12 can cause strokes so it is best to get ones b12 checked if on metformin long term. D.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A low carb diet is filled with fish, seafood, crab, liver, eggs and cheese should be enough to cover your b12 needs. They did mine for over a decade of metformon use. Oh and 2 pregnancies.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A low carb diet is filled with fish, seafood, crab, liver, eggs and cheese should be enough to cover your b12 needs. They did mine for over a decade of metformon use. Oh and 2 pregnancies.

There is a statistical connection to deficiency in vitamin B12 from people taking Metformin,but it is not all that devellops the deficiency, is that only a question of longterm results or is it individual / genetical differences in how much we uptake from food that a slowed or hindered by Metformin ?
The problem there would then be that Metformin is actively preventing us from uptaking the B12, in what way is not really know yet...

Does it affect or damage the cells in the intestines that are the only ones that can uptake vitamin B12 or does it just block vitamin B12 uptake all over in the body.. ?

Most people do eat enough vitamin B12, but Metformin interferes with the uptake in some people anyway... and maybe in all.
Usually the level of vitamin B12 in the liver can be stretched out for up till 5-6 years... Maybe because this vitamin is so essential, our body has found a way to store it long term and only use is sparingly when in lack of outside adding,

This maybe means that our body, I guess, then only use the vitamin B12 in the most essential places in the body, and it will for some take more than these 5-6 years before a deficiency can be seen in the blood samples.

It is really worrying that Metformin interfere with uptake of vitmin B12, I still take my Metformin and also supplement of vitamin B12, but is this an insurance..?

Maybe it could also be the way Metformin works in the liver that prvents the storing of vitamin B12 , who really know about that ?

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There is a statistical connection to deficiency in vitamin B12 from people taking Metformin,but it is not all that devellops the deficiency, is that only a question of longterm results or is it individual / genetical differences in how much we uptake from food that a slowed or hindered by Metformin ?
The problem there would then be that Metformin is actively preventing us from uptaking the B12, in what way is not really know yet...

Does it affect or damage the cells in the intestines that are the only ones that can uptake vitamin B12 or does it just block vitamin B12 uptake all over in the body.. ?

Most people do eat enough vitamin B12, but Metformin interferes with the uptake in some people anyway... and maybe in all.
Usually the level of vitamin B12 in the liver can be stretched out for up till 5-6 years... Maybe because this vitamin is so essential, our body has found a way to store it long term and only use is sparingly when in lack of outside adding,

This maybe means that our body, I guess, then only use the vitamin B12 in the most essential places in the body, and it will for some take more than these 5-6 years before a deficiency can be seen in the blood samples.

It is really worrying that Metformin interfere with uptake of vitmin B12, I still take my Metformin and also supplement of vitamin B12, but is this an insurance..?

Maybe it could also be the way Metformin works in the liver that prvents the storing of vitamin B12 , who really know about that ?
Very interesting.
Metformin affects the gut and liver where vit and minerals are digested, nor not in some cases.
Research state that more than 2000mg of metformin has no benefits.
I wonder if too strong for some patients?
I waver between 1000mg-2000mg as it can loosen my tummy (affect my gut).

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting.
Metformin affects the gut and liver where vit and minerals are digested, nor not in some cases.
Research state that more than 2000mg of metformin has no benefits.
I wonder if too strong for some patients?
I waver between 1000mg-2000mg as it can loosen my tummy (affect my gut).

yes , I don´t think it is really people officially overdozed that only have gotten that problem... but of cause that could also be the case
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24711867
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24959880

but maybe the hindering of uptaking vitamin B12 could also happen long before one eats the optimal Metformin doze, (optimal for reducing blood glucose/liver connversion of glucose), Metformin slows the livers conversion rate as I have understand it, maybe it just slows the liver in general and that also leads to a lower uptake of vitamin B12