1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

metformin

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Golden-girl, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Golden-girl

Golden-girl · Active Member

I am T1 , can metformin help me to adjust my blood sugar?

2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, it’s not a glucose reducing medication so probably not

3. Golden-girl

Golden-girl · Active Member

but it increase insulin sensitivity. can it decreases my insulin doses ?

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It reduces sugar production by the liver and also increases insulin sensitivity, so I would have thought that it might help reduce your doses. Just might need to be a little more cautious about hypos???? If you have problems with the dawn phenomena (blood sugar rise on waking) then it might help.

I was on a double blind trial for T1s taking metformin for a couple of years, but unfortunately never found out whether I was taking a placebo. The trial results weren't terribly conclusive, but it's a very safe drug and if your doctor is recommending it it's probably worth a try. I've been offered it but as I'm reasonably happy with my control at the moment I'm not bothering, though I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

#4 EllieM, Jan 17, 2020 at 1:20 AM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Ellie, I'm sure it's a typo, but the liver doesn't produce insulin, but is an insulin-guided organ. It can manage the glucose released into the body from its stores though.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/liver-and-blood-glucose-levels.html

6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@Golden-girl - for some T1s who take it, Metformin can improve their insulin sensitivity, and therefore they could see a modest improvement in the blood glucose levels, due to each unit of insulation n injected, or pumped has an increased impact.

7. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Absolutely thanks, I meant sugar, technically glycogen. I've edited my post.

8. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

9. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I take it and although I have been on slimming world, I do believe it has helped me reduce my basal doses....without a doubt....

I wouldn't say it's a big effect but its certainly helped drive the Hb down a few decimals..(%)...

it may even have some other health benefits to do with the heart....but don't quote me.....

some people find they have issues with their gut (more toilet trips) and this is because metformin essentially limits the uptake of glucose form the gut, alongside limiting the livers contribution.....but I personally have had no significant symptoms on this front...

are you on large doses...?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook