Metformin

Turbo73

Hi, I have been placed on Metformin for type 2 diabetes, each time I take it, with food. Within 30 minutes, I feel really tired. Is this normal?

mouseee

It's not a side effect that I had or that I've seen lots of people mention on here. (Check the leaflet!)
It's more likely that its occurring due to what you are eating. If I eat lots of carbs it can give me brain fog I've found.

Reactions: Turbo73

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree it's not a normal reaction. Met is usually very well tolerated apart from some initial bowel problems which the SR (Slow Release) version fixes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been placed on Metformin for type 2 diabetes, each time I take it, with food. Within 30 minutes, I feel really tired. Is this normal?
I agree with the others... High blood sugars can cause a sudden onset of fatigue. It's more likely the food than the met. What are you eating/drinking?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually take met, with my breakfast. Usually have a coffee and 2 slices of toast.
Oh that explains it - bread is really high carb so it would have hit your energy levels like the proverbial ton of bricks.

Turbo73

I really need to find out what I can and cannot each. My nurse hasn't really explained much at all.
My nurse rang me today, to see how I was getting on, each time I started to tell her something she didn't listen, spoke over me most of the time. I did manage to find out my blood sugar level had gone from 50 to 58. And that doesn't sound like it's going the right way.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really need to find out what I can and cannot each. My nurse hasn't really explained much at all.
Ah - well if you are a typical ordinary type two like me, we can eat meat, fish, seafood, eggs, cheese, salad stuff and stirfry or roast veges which are low in carbs. I usually stick to foods which are 10 percent carbs or less.
Having - for instance, mashed swede, rather than potatoes, can reduce the carb load, cauliflower instead of rice is another good swap,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that seems typical - I'm afraid. My Dr hasn't spoken to me since diagnosis as I am no longer diabetic in that my readings are normal.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually take met, with my breakfast. Usually have a coffee and 2 slices of toast.
Yeah.. Toast'll do that to you. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- that might help some with the food. You'll notice a change in energy levels right quick if you change your diet. And the HbA1c'll go down too. I'm sorry your nurse is just going through the motions, but that's common, alas. Just take it upon yourself to make improvements if no help is coming from that way. It's a re-learning about nutrition, and everything we think we know goes out the window, but.... You're going to make her jaw drop at your next HbA1c!