metformin

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
saw on newspaper the goverment is telling people on metformin not to keep taking it as it can cause cancer
ur opinon please
I've not heard this myself hfjl212121 but all drugs have risks that have to be weighed up individually to each case/person. I am hoping that my one per day Metformin tablet might be stopped anyway at my review in September, since I feel that I can now manage with diet alone. My overall control has been great these last couple of months :)

hfjl212121

I've not heard this myself hfjl212121 but all drugs have risks that have to be weighed up individually to each case/person. I am hoping that my one per day Metformin tablet might be stopped anyway at my review in September, since I feel that I can now manage with diet alone. My overall control has been great these last couple of months :)
thank u for nice reply wishing u well

Reactions: coby

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
saw on newspaper the goverment is telling people on metformin not to keep taking it as it can cause cancer
ur opinon please

gosh that’s scary - can you please post link?

there’s a lot of people on here who take metformin or thinking about taking it (me), so please provide evidence

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Roll up roll up read all about it, yesterday was this,

For example, there is evidence for metformin preventing the growth of cancer cells in lung, prostate, colon, and genograph. Since 2005, metformin has been reported to reduce the risk of cancer by up to 23% worldwide.

tomorrow, who knows

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6497052/

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ur opinon please
This has been reported over the last three to four years about this drug, and it's still prescribed.

It sounds like Trumps fake news rubbish is being rehashed. :meh:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

I wonder if you are talking about the fact that the US recalled some batches of the extended release metformin because they contained a cancer producing component
[URL='https://www.verywellhealth.com/metformin-cancer-5116117#:~:text=Metformin%20and%20Cancer%20Cancer%20is%20not%20a%20reported,decreased%20risk%20of%20certain%20cancers%2C%20such%20as%3A%204']Why the FDA Recalled Metformin Over a Cancer-Causing Agent (verywellhealth.com)

[/URL]

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ur opinon please
This is the liquid form only and some of it is contaminated. The tablet form is fine.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I read this too the other day - for me taking another drug wasn't an option. This was suggested though and did consider it in the early stage of my type 2 diagnosis, it wasn't for me.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read this too the other day - for me taking another drug wasn't an option. This was suggested though and did consider it in the early stage of my type 2 diagnosis, it wasn't for me.
Can you please cite the source where you read this

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Can you please cite the source where you read this
I think it was the Daily Mail not sure but it was floating around on of the papers

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reactions: Rachox

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So a batch thats outside the EU and liquid version in the UK.

fair enough but the topic started discussing metformin as a whole rather than the specifics hence asking for sources

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
So a batch thats outside the EU and liquid version in the UK.

fair enough but the topic started discussing metformin as a whole rather than the specifics hence asking for sources

Not seen any sources quoted which state that Metformin as a drug causes cancer, or has been recalled because it causes cancer. Any risk for the liquid is considered minimal.

No apparent cause for concern (at least in the UK).

DevGuy

Extended-release pills often contain polymers to mediate the slow-release effect of the drug. These polymers (e.g. acrylic) can contain carcinogens.
They're almost always sourced from China (as are most bulk medicinal drug ingredients), and it's a significant problem.