metformin

thefisherman

Hello forum, I have just been told i have type 2 and have been put on metformin 3 tablets a day.my doctor said what i could make out is my hba1c is just over 7 take these and make an appointment to see the nurse in 4 weeks. What i am asking is will i be taking these for the forseeable, Have been told no need for a moniter due to the tablets, i've cut out as much as i can foods with sugar in but now i'm getting hungry and irritable. Would it be better to moniter with testing or taking the tablets. i don't know what to do for right or wrong.
thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to some useful information for newly diagnosed members.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870
Most Type2's are denied testing equipment usually on the grounds of cost. It is something you really need as you need to know what foods raise your blood sugars. You can buy them quite cheaply but it is the test strips that cost the money. If you decide to get one, there are cheaper ones that forum members have managed to find online and the test strips are reasonable too compared to what the Pharmacies charge..

Read through the information and then ask as many questions as you like.

As to the Metformin, many people come off medication when they get their levels down. Metformin is something that some members decide to stay on as it has other benefits.

angua

Hi fisherman
shame you've been diagnosed at all, but on the better side your HBA1c is at quite a low level so there is some room to maneuver it down to nearer 'normal' levels
Take a look around the forum and take a look at what people are eating - unfortunately there are carbs (which can raise your blood sugar levels significantly) in just about everything except protein (meat) and fats.

Daisy will be along with her advice list of stuff you can eat and things you need to eat in moderation

I don't know how the other guys manage, but I can't eat much on Daisys list so I stick to a low carb high fat regime, I am never hungry, tho sometimes I can get a little 'wanty'
I bought myself a Collins Carb counter and a meter and for the first 3 months tested myself 2 hours after every meal to see what raised my blood sugar and what didn't - personally, I believe testing is the only way forward.
You may not have to be on Metformin forever, it depends on how bad and for how long you have been an undetected type 2 and how well you can control your blood sugar through diet
welcome anyway, and always feel free to ask questions, there's always someone here who can help

Gilly x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
angua said:
Daisy will be along with her advice list of stuff you can eat and things you need to eat in moderation

Hi Fisherman and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information for new members which angua mentioned above. The link is also included in Catherine's post. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

surreysonic

Hi,

it is possible to get your dose of metformin lowered, it has taken me 12 months of steady numbers and 3 really good hba1c to get my GP to agree, 1 was on 2 (1000) but now take 1 (500), hoping she is also going to take me off the statins too.

You may be feeling hungry and irratable as 3 metformin is too much and your sugars are going to low, may be worth asking to see your practice nurse / diabetes nurse for clarification.

I find a low carb diet works best for me, it took me a while to get my head round it and now have gone from hba1c 13 to 6 in 3 test cycles....which is how i got my GP to agree to lower my metformin dosage!

This site is really helpful if you need advice....so keep on asking.

Good Luck :wave: Sonya

hotlips

hi I was diagnosed this time last.year been on metformin twice a day sometimes I still feel very latheric and I can't manage 5 or 6 portions or snacks a day the nurse told me but all I can manage is breakfast sometimes a sandwich and my teatime meal I don't drink tea coffee Ireland milk at all nurse told me to drink diet e.g.. Pepsi max. diet coke ..or cordial very weak is this ok I also limit fruit no pulses bread is any of this ok

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin is a good, safe drug so don't worry about being on it. It does reduce your appetite so be prepared for that and may affect taste for a while. If you have any stomach problems ask for the Slow Release (SR) version. It does help reduce the amount of glucose released by the liver but the right diet and exercise have the most effect on your blood suagr. Yes, do get a meter and do control your carbs to get the levels right when you measure 2 hours after a meal.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi the fisherman and welcome to the forum, have a read through the forum and pay special notice to the advice given in Daisys post for new members.
Tight lines :D

surreysonic said:
You may be feeling hungry and irratable as 3 metformin is too much and your sugars are going to low

Whilst I'm sure your above comment was well intentioned you really should not give advice like that when you know nothing about a persons medical history or their condition, especially when most would consider that advice to be incorrect.

The maximum dose of metformin which is currently 2000mg (1000mg bi daily) will only help to drop blood glucose by between 1 and 2 mmol/L so an HbA1c in the 7's is not too low for 3 Metformin as you suggest. My HbA1c has been in the 5%'s for close on 4 years now and I still take Metformin, it would not cause anyone in the 7%'s although it may have helped to get there.

Information on Metrformin.
Metformin is the first-line drug of choice for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, in particular in overweight and obese patients. It is not prescribed to those with impaired kidney function.

It belongs to a class of drugs known as biguanide medications and works in several ways.
The medicine reduces the amount of sugar made by the liver, limits the amount of sugar absorbed into the body from the diet, and makes insulin receptors more sensitive (helping the body respond better to its own insulin) It can also help to curb appetite which can help with weight loss.

More info on Metformin can be found here - http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Metformin.htm