milk

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys not sure if this is a dumb question or not. does anyone find that coffee even with a small amount of milk affects blood glucose levels??

L

Luna21

To be honest I don't know, but I have given up lots of things since I was diagnosed and I won't give up the small amount of milk I use in my tea or coffee, regardless! You have to enjoy some things and black tea or coffee just doesn't hit the spot! :mrgreen:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes i agree with you there luna lol. its just that my readings have gone up by 3.2 two hours after a full protein lunch and just a coffee.

only been diagnosed 2 weeks so still trying to find out which foods are making me spike. didnt think a tiny amount of milk would do it that much :(

L

Luna21

I've only been diagnosed myself since late January, so still a beginner at the food pitfalls to avoid.

I use semi-skimmed and I'm OK with that, though I have heard others using cream, which works better for them, but as I'm also trying to lose more weight, cream is an extravagance I can't yet afford to have. :roll:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah i use semi also, me too wanting to lose weight so think i may just go onto water instead lol i used cream in coffee when i did atkins eons ago and i think its an aquired taste lol and not for me

Finzi

victoria84 said:
yes i agree with you there luna lol. its just that my readings have gone up by 3.2 two hours after a full protein lunch and just a coffee.

only been diagnosed 2 weeks so still trying to find out which foods are making me spike. didnt think a tiny amount of milk would do it that much :(

A tiny amount of milk wouldn't have done. It would have been the protein. (I'm assuming by the fact that you said a "full protein" lunch that it would have contained a fair amount of protein). Protein can raise blood sugars, albeit not by anything like as much as carbs. The only foodstuff that doesn't is fat. Not a reason not to eat protein, but because its listed as zero carb, it doesn't mean you can eat large amounts at one go without it having an effect on blood sugar. I made that mistake early in low carbing - would eat meals of chicken or steak and nothing else and then be surprised when my BM had risen after a "zero carb" meal.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Finzi

victoria84 said:
yeah i use semi also, me too wanting to lose weight so think i may just go onto water instead lol i used cream in coffee when i did atkins eons ago and i think its an aquired taste lol and not for me

If you're properly strictly low carb ( say, 30g per day) then cream should be fine. If you're having a lot more carbs than that then you need to watch fat intake as well if you want to lose weight.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 5 and 6 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow! didnt realise that. thank you so much Finzi :thumbup: lesson learnt and many more to come :D thank you again

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regarding coffee it affects my sugar levels. I dont think it has anything to do with milk though. There is something about coffee :( Tea with milk is fine for me but coffee with milk gets my levels a little bit high

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thats rather strange lol. i think i am goin to start a little experiment on myslef now. I know diabetes sucks big time but i gotta say its got my brain ticking.

thanks ewelina :)

Finzi

Andy12345 said:
heyyyy finzi :) havent seen you in a while

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hey you! :) sounds like you're doing amazingly! :)

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
A small blob of milk won't raise your sugars that much it's actually the caffeine from what I've heard. I tend to give myself 0.3 units (via insulin pump) if I'm having a coffee.
I find when I have a lot of pepsi max/diet coke when on a night out that my sugars go up slightly. I've just accepted to only have a small amount of caffeine a day.
Hope you find a nice little medium to keep having your coffee :D

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I follow a very strict low carb diet, read Dr Richard Bernstein's book, I'm almost as hard core as him!!! Nothing is free, and milk even a drop will make a difference. I have insulin for all so called free foods, remember nothing is free. The only thing you can drink freely is black tea/coffee and diet carbonated drinks, make sure the carbs are 0. Good luck.
Type 1 since the age of 10,
44 years old. Low carber on novo rapid and levemir

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Faith* said:
A small blob of milk won't raise your sugars that much it's actually the caffeine from what I've heard. I tend to give myself 0.3 units (via insulin pump) if I'm having a coffee.
I find when I have a lot of pepsi max/diet coke when on a night out that my sugars go up slightly. I've just accepted to only have a small amount of caffeine a day.
Hope you find a nice little medium to keep having your coffee :D

thank you Faith didnt realise that caffeine raised bg levels

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Picci said:
I follow a very strict low carb diet, read Dr Richard Bernstein's book, I'm almost as hard core as him!!! Nothing is free, and milk even a drop will make a difference. I have insulin for all so called free foods, remember nothing is free. The only thing you can drink freely is black tea/coffee and diet carbonated drinks, make sure the carbs are 0. Good luck.
Type 1 since the age of 10,
44 years old. Low carber on novo rapid and levemir

thanks Picci didnt think of taking insulin for free foods as being told not to but i suppose it does all mount up at some point. Glad you have alerted me to this

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I drink decaf coffee so i am ok with that. As i am lactose intolerant i use unsweetened soy milk or of late unsweetened almond milk - both very low carb

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks claymic through all this i didnt think of buying decaff LOL i already got the soya milk will see how that goes (havnt had a coffee since posting) if still same i shall get the decaff.... duh me :)