Mind in a whirl

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed, type 2, and things are just going round and round.

Did your diagnosis affect you this way......I've come away a bit shell shocked really.....overwhelmed by the information but I just can't get a handle on things. I seem to have some information to get started but I can't seem to take that first step forward....it's as though I can't focus my thoughts. A little bit of denial in there which I suppose is normal for everyone....I'll probably be better after my next visit to the GP but it's as though I decide what to do next and then I talk myself of doing anything for the time being ....making excuses which may be good ones but which mean I can't move forward. I know it's early days but I just can't pull myself together....don't get me wrong, I'm not falling apart, I'm just doing "nothing"......I just can't make a decision.....it's just not like me.

Typicaltwo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Royalty, Religion, Gardening, Baking, Piston heads, vegans
Any serious trauma, like finding out your T2 diabetes, takes a while to get to grips with. But you have a huge resource available to you to find answers and solutions with the internet. Building up your knowledge through reading and conversing with both other sufferers and interested parties will help you gain the information you need to allow you to tackle the issues involved.

3 things to remember,
1. T2 diabetes, in the vast majority of cases, is reversible through diet alone... usually LCHF, on which there's plenty of info.
2. You will, more than likely, quickly gain more knowledge about T2 than the diabetes team at your surgery, if you do the research.
3. If you haven't got a blood/glucose monitor, make it a priority - plenty of info on this website and forum. Testing you blood before meals and two hours after allows you to adjust your diet and remove, or reduce, those foods that 'spike' your bloods - inevitably some carb or other.

Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Newly diagnosed, type 2, and things are just going round and round.

Did your diagnosis affect you this way......I've come away a bit shell shocked really.....overwhelmed by the information but I just can't get a handle on things. I seem to have some information to get started but I can't seem to take that first step forward....it's as though I can't focus my thoughts. A little bit of denial in there which I suppose is normal for everyone....I'll probably be better after my next visit to the GP but it's as though I decide what to do next and then I talk myself of doing anything for the time being ....making excuses which may be good ones but which mean I can't move forward. I know it's early days but I just can't pull myself together....don't get me wrong, I'm not falling apart, I'm just doing "nothing"......I just can't make a decision.....it's just not like me.

How are your blood sugar levels at the moment? Some people do report feeling a bit foggy and unable to make decisions when glucose levels are high.

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any serious trauma, like finding out your T2 diabetes, takes a while to get to grips with. But you have a huge resource available to you to find answers and solutions with the internet. Building up your knowledge through reading and conversing with both other sufferers and interested parties will help you gain the information you need to allow you to tackle the issues involved.

3 things to remember,
1. T2 diabetes, in the vast majority of cases, is reversible through diet alone... usually LCHF, on which there's plenty of info.
2. You will, more than likely, quickly gain more knowledge about T2 than the diabetes team at your surgery, if you do the research.
3. If you haven't got a blood/glucose monitor, make it a priority - plenty of info on this website and forum. Testing you blood before meals and two hours after allows you to adjust your diet and remove, or reduce, those foods that 'spike' your bloods - inevitably some carb or other.

Good luck.

Thank you, I'm trying to read up on it all before I go back to the GP so that I can have my questions prepared.

Reactions: 2 people

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are your blood sugar levels at the moment? Some people do report feeling a bit foggy and unable to make decisions when glucose levels are high.

I don't have a meter at the moment....next on my to do list......think it's all a bit of a shock really even if you're half expecting it.....it's different when you get the diagnosis. I got my HbA1c 53 back last week from my last set of blood tests.....had another 4 weeks later, to confirm, which came back today at 57.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
When diagnosed most T2 here will have had HbA1c numbers a lot higher than 53 or 57 so don't panic just get on to a low carb higher fat way of eating and buy yourself a meter (SD Codefree is the cheapest meter to run) and the HbA1c numbers should start to fall below the diabetic range. T2 Diabetes is a challenge to manage but accept the challenge and it need not spoil your life.
hba1c-chart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When diagnosed most T2 here will have had HbA1c numbers a lot higher than 53 or 57 so don't panic just get on to a low carb higher fat way of eating and buy yourself a meter (SD Codefree is the cheapest meter to run) and the HbA1c numbers should start to fall below the diabetic range. T2 Diabetes is a challenge to manage but accept the challenge and it need not spoil your life.
hba1c-chart.jpg
Thank you.....useful chart.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Shelleymomma I think a lot of us go through a gamut of emotions when we get that diagnosis, shock, horror, guilt, fear, anger, blame, denial and more. I certainly did. In a way it was a good thing as it shocked me into taking action to control my condition. I think you will be doing the same too. Your reading isn't very high and you should be able to lower it.

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Shelleymomma I think a lot of us go through a gamut of emotions when we get that diagnosis, shock, horror, guilt, fear, anger, blame, denial and more. I certainly did. In a way it was a good thing as it shocked me into taking action to control my condition. I think you will be doing the same too. Your reading isn't very high and you should be able to lower it.

I think you're right....I'm all over....couldn't tell you exactly how I feel if tried...hoping it will settle soon. Thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

xtrail591

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here ......I've had to resort going direct to my local hospital consultant as my GP was bloody useless

Baron C

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, diagnosed three months ago. Went through various phases, shock, denial, grieving having become ill, angry, disinterested and then moved into an acceptance stage and then a positive pro active stage and whilst it is still tough at times things are getting a lot better. There are some great people around for support and advice however take your time and don't give yourself a hard time for feeling the way you do - everyone has felt the same at some time. Little steps.