Misleading avatars.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Boredom has got the better of me. Found out that this site lists 20 varying types of diabetes.
On joining the forum people are given the option to inform others of their type of diabetes. This is obviously of great assistance to everyone. Diabetic and non diabetics alike. Knowing that someone is posting as a family member makes a huge difference to how we can answer questions and give advice for example. Knowing that a poster is T1or T2 is massively important before giving advice. Being informed of any of the other types of diabetes is probably more important still. Although not on the list, pre diabetic is also of great importance when giving advice.
Everyone has the right to keep the anonymity with respect to their status.
But why and how can we have members post as .....” other “...... what is other?
I find the type ....other.... misleading and hard to offer advise to and take advice from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Boredom has got the better of me. Found out that this site lists 20 varying types of diabetes.
On joining the forum people are given the option to inform others of there type of diabetes. This is obviously of great assistance to everyone. Diabetic and non diabetics alike. Knowing that someone is posting as a family member makes a huge difference to how we can answer questions and give advice for example. Knowing that a poster is T1or T2 is massively important before giving advice. Being informed of any of the other types of diabetes is probably more important still. Although not on the list, pre diabetic is also of great importance when giving advice.
I find the type ....other.... misleading and hard to offer advise to and take advice from.

For me, I am 'other' as not even the doctors can diagnose me (that's a whole other story in itself)

I am treated as T1 and my information says insulin treated....

I'm not sure what else I could put as strictly I haven't been given a diagnosis of T1/T2/MODY.

I'd more than welcome suggestions :)

Reactions: kitedoc

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
P1300608.jpg

I have been trying to find a morris dancing avatar - in purple. This is Anonymous Morris.

Reactions: zand
D

Deleted member 308541

At least "Other" is better than nothing in the profile.

I would like "T2 - Under excellent control" in mine, as I believe that I will revert back to full blown T2 if I slacken off what I am doing to control it at present.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good question @therower.
Perhaps for those in @SB.25 's situation, 'Type to be defined'
We still have to allow for privacy with the frustrations that can engender, but the above indicator could cover that.
Or 'diabetic on insulin' or 'diabetic not on insulin., and 'diabetic in honeymoon could create a chuckle or two
And 'partner of diabetic, or family member, healthcare provider.
Whether on joining there could be a stronger reminder such as: we respect your privacy but if you feel comfortable enough to state what type of diabetes you have been diagnised with, or if you are a carer, partner, friend or relative of a person with diabetes that can enable any questions you post to be given the best and most informed answers.
My AUD 11 cents worth ( includes GST)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Although not on the list, pre diabetic is also of great importance when giving advice.
'Pre-diabetes' is on the list.
I agree that it would be useful if people did give an accurate description of their status, but apparently some people can't see the option of 'Insulin-dependent Type 2' on their browser.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'Pre-diabetes' is on the list.
I agree that it would be useful if people did give an accurate description of their status, but apparently some people can't see the option of 'Insulin-dependent Type 2' on their browser.
The list I managed to stumble upon headed up by DCUK didn’t list pre as a type of diabetes hence my comment.

Reactions: porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, I am 'other' as not even the doctors can diagnose me (that's a whole other story in itself)

I am treated as T1 and my information says insulin treated....

I'm not sure what else I could put as strictly I haven't been given a diagnosis of T1/T2/MODY.

I'd more than welcome suggestions :)
That must be frustrating having to wait.
Perhaps a “ awaiting official diagnosis “ would help.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The list I managed to stumble upon headed up by DCUK didn’t list pre as a type of diabetes hence my comment.
This is the drop down list in profile I can see:
Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 07.26.12.png

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, are you using a phone, because I have previously seen posts by members unable to see the full list, I just looked and. pre-diabetes is on there ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

It must be frustrating for people not to know what condition they have, hopefully, in time, they will, so your suggestion is a good one.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
On joining the forum people are given the option to inform others of their type of diabetes. This is obviously of great assistance to everyone. Diabetic and non diabetics alike. Knowing that someone is posting as a family member makes a huge difference to how we can answer questions and give advice for example. Knowing that a poster is T1or T2 is massively important before giving advice. Being informed of any of the other types of diabetes is probably more important still. Although not on the list, pre diabetic is also of great importance when giving advice.

Found this : Other
other
/ˈʌðə/
Learn to pronounce
adjective & pronoun
  1. 1.
    used to refer to a person or thing that is different or distinct from one already mentioned or known about.
    "stick the camera on a tripod or some other means of support"

2. 2.
    further; additional.
    "one other word of advice"
    synonyms: more, further, additional, extra, added, supplementary, supplemental
    "are there any other questions?"

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am drug induced specifically Prednisolone Induced this in the old classifications was type 3E and is not an option so other is the best I can do.

Reactions: Knikki

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
It is very frustrating! The consultant said that he may never diagnose me as T1 or T2 which I didn’t think was possible. Instead I may just be an ‘insulin dependant diabetic’ Which to me sounds like. T1 ... but what do I know ......

Reactions: Prem51

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2567D3DE-3D65-464E-8391-D185045D9C15.png ..
This is the list I stumbled across. I found it amazing that the list was so extensive.
I’m not referring to the options available when new members join.
This list apparently is all the varying types of diabetes. Surely if you are diabetic then you must come into one of these categories. If you are not diabetic then the options are there to inform people. If you are pre diabetic you have the option and rightly so. If you wish to remain anonymous that’s fine. I just feel that we should help people who have to post “other” be able to better inform the community of their actual status.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is very frustrating! The consultant said that he may never diagnose me as T1 or T2 which I didn’t think was possible. Instead I may just be an ‘insulin dependant diabetic’ Which to me sounds like. T1 ... but what do I know ......
Maybe see another consultant.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least "Other" is better than nothing in the profile.

I would like "T2 - Under excellent control" in mine, as I believe that I will revert back to full blown T2 if I slacken off what I am doing to control it at present.
Agreed there @Tipetoo

I would like something similar in mine. “ Prediabetes Under Control “ or something similar.

My choice appeared to be Prediabetes or Other. “Other” conveys nothing in my case.

Reactions: zand
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Agreed there @Tipetoo

I would like something similar in mine. “ Prediabetes Under Control “ or something similar.

My choice appeared to be Prediabetes or Other. “Other” conveys nothing in my case.

But then the forum list would be too long, 'not quite there yet, 'under quite good control, good control, very good control, stonking good control, so probably not feasible, unless a member adds it to their signature :)