1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Misrepresentation in a name - Grenade Carb Killa

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by JenniferM55, Aug 10, 2020.

1. JenniferM55

JenniferM55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm familiar with the bars.
    They aren’t my cup of tea, but I don’t think they are necessarily misrepresented.
    They’ve got what, 3g sugars?
    The rest of the carb content is polyols, which for most people have nil or minimal blood glucose impact. There are various artificial sweeteners that are polyols.

of course, some people get a rather unfortunate intestinal reaction from large quantities of polyols, but that is a whole other thread ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It seems that whether they impact your blood sugars varies. @Rachox eats them without issue. I tried one and it shot me up in double figure BG levels. Taste wasn’t to my liking either, very synthetic - for that amount of rise I’d choose something different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. JenniferM55

JenniferM55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've never heard of polyols, something I'll research. I just saw they were 13g carbs a bar.

5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They contain xylitol so I won't have them in the house. Can be fatal to fur babies. And polylols seem to spike me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the tag @Goonergal yes indeed I do eat and enjoy Carb Killa bars. As @Brunneria explained above they are sweetened with Polyols which are sugar alcohols though they are neither sugar or alcohol! Polyols are a carbohydrate but are not converted into sugar like many other carbohydrates that us low carbers avoid. Some people as Goonergal says are adversely affected by them but I find that my blood sugars are ok with them. The ‘impact’ carb count is calculated by subtracting the grams of polyols (blue arrow) from the total carb count (green arrow) in the example below, so in this case 4g carbs per bar.

EDIT TO ADD as @xfieldok says xylitol is poisonous for pets but not all flavours use that particular polyol, so if you have pets and want to try one just check out the ingredients for one with a different polyol.

34378AD0-B78C-4296-9BA6-8CCBFA88240A.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #6 Rachox, Aug 10, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  7. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I see the words "laxative effect" in that picture. I think one problem is that some bgl meters misread in reaction to some polyols, especially Malitol. 29% polyols content seem to be excessive especially if they are supposed to be inert.

8. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sorry if I am being thick here but are they only 4 carbs for the full bar?

9. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Theoretically yes 4g impact carbs, that is total carbs minus carbs from Polyols (21 - 17 = 4). Everyone trying these should test before and after eating one to see what their personal reaction is in terms of blood sugars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I’m another one that spikes on these bars. I’d also add that not all polyols are the same or have the same effects. Maltitol is used in many bars and is the one that spikes me badly, and a fair few others, as well as being the worst culprit for digestive upsets. Xylitol is usually better on both frontS but toxic to dogs. Erythritol is generally the best with fewest undesirable effects as it is processed differently to many other polyols and rarely effects blood sugar. Obviously individuals may not like the taste of some and, rarely, people have allergies too to consider.

11. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Many thanks for that - I would have to test but I think 4 carbs would be ok - I must give them a try - it is what I have been looking out for.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ZedZeeZet

ZedZeeZet Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maltitol is just evil. Spikes my non diabetic other half almost as much as me, must have some good cooking qualities or its very cheap as it seems to be used in anything 'sugar free' available in stores.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

Malitol is hydrogenated starch, usually from corn oil (generally in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup HFCS). So in effect it is a transcarb, i.e. a fake carb that our body does not recognise so cannot process. It is considered safe for consumption it has the formula C12H24O11. It is recorded as having an effect on blood sugar levels but not as much as sucrose. Although classed as a sugar alcohol, it is not related to the ethanol / methanol family.

Malitol is linked to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and has laxative properties.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I took some of them with me to a tournament once and ended up giving them away and sticking to the freebie Nature Valley protein bars. Agree for me they just tasted a little bit artificial but I don’t remember particularly spiking with them... just didn’t like the taste!

totally agree with @Rachox to try and monitor to see what impact they have on you - that goes for pretty much anything really!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neil2020

Neil2020 · Newbie

I bought some "low sugar" bars and found they had about 20 carbs per bar in them. Eventually saved them for when I was hungry and didn't have access to other foods and ate half a bar.

I have found Aldi's chocolate nut bars work for me. Approx 6 carbs per bar and feels like a treat.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I second that. I use them and test out ok.

17. mo53

mo53 Type 2 · Expert

@Neil2020 do the Aldi ones have a brand name? Do I just look for nut bars? Sorry to trouble you

• Like Like x 1
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

IMG_1607034108.833175.jpg
    These. I agree, they are great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Vicstick

Vicstick · Member

Agree - the Aldi nut bars are great. Carb killer bars not good for me - spike & loo visits. Bought some freeist cola bottles which I lived to regret as well....

20. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I love the Aldi bars. A good size too. I’ve just discovered Fattbars. Various options available. 1g, 2g and 3g per bar. Haven’t come across a flavour I don't like. A little chewy but I love this about them.

For info:

https://www.fattbar.com/shop/apple-cinnamon/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook