Missing a meal.

Sunnygirl1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi just wondered if you miss a meal for instance if you are out or on a flight or you just dont feel like a meal. Do you still take the metaform tablet as im suposed to take three times a day in the middle of eating a meal ?? Been on them over six weeks now and still getting stomach ache and dreadful wind.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am unsure but I suppose it depends on how long each dose lasts.....

if you have to take tablets with each meal in theory you could say you wouldn't need to, but then again the effectiveness of it might rely on the cumulative effects over 24 hours....

unsure though....

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience with metformin, if you need to skip a meal I would skip a dose. I did take it a couple of times without food and oh my I wasn't good at all and it made me react even worse. I didn't tolerate the drug the entire time I was on it anyhow (I was on it for 5 years). If it is just a one off meal you're skipping you should be ok. Although when you go back to your usual dose the next day your body may notice too (mine definitely did). But that's just my experience... you may take it without food and feel fine.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would be inclined to keep taking the Metformin. It operates over days and not hours and only has small effect on blood sugar and doesn't cause hypos. If you have bowel issues with it you should ask the GP to change you to the SR (Slow Release) version.