Monitor yes or no...

BloodThirsty

Yes indeed. I have tried the cheapies and banged on about this before... one of the greatest influences on glucometer accuracy is hematocrit levels, i.e. the individual's percentage of red blood cells.
Without doubt, the best meter I have used is the GlucoRx HCT which compensates for hematocrit and is relatively cheap.
The Accu-Check Aviva Expert comes a close second but it is expensive and you have to scour eBay to get one. However I suspect that the standard Accu-Chek Aviva will be equally accurate as it uses the same test strips.
At the end of the day, why save a bob per strip to obtain innacurate or inconsistent results.

Reactions: AngiH

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed. I have tried the cheapies and banged on about this before... one of the greatest influences on glucometer accuracy is hematocrit levels, i.e. the individual's percentage of red blood cells.
Without doubt, the best meter I have used is the GlucoRx HCT which compensates for hematocrit and is relatively cheap.
The Accu-Check Aviva Expert comes a close second but it is expensive and you have to scour eBay to get one. However I suspect that the standard Accu-Chek Aviva will be equally accurate as it uses the same test strips.
At the end of the day, why save a bob per strip to obtain innacurate or inconsistent results.

The Accu Chek Mobile is calibrated to provide accurate results in a haemotocrit range of 25% to 55%. It says so on their website. I checked this after discovering that high haemotocrit levels skew the HbA1c in an upwards direction. Anyone interested can check their full blood count records for their haematocrit levels. I imagine that low haematocrits would skew the HbA1c in a downwards direction but have no evidence of this.

BloodThirsty

The Accu Chek Mobile is calibrated to provide accurate results in a haemotocrit range of 25% to 55%. It says so on their website. I checked this after discovering that high haemotocrit levels skew the HbA1c in an upwards direction. Anyone interested can check their full blood count records for their haematocrit levels. I imagine that low haematocrits would skew the HbA1c in a downwards direction but have no evidence of this.
Actually it is the other way around.
High hematocrit results in low readings and vice versa.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3692232/

However, numerous meters that claim to function within a specific HCT range are still significantly affected by it. This is the reason why I rate the inexpensive GlucoRx HCT (6 quid on Amazon) which not only gives a consistent BG reading it simultaneously displays HCT.

I am not on commission... honestly!!!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No harm to test and see what you can and can't handle, carb-wise. Another thing to note is that testing is surprisingly easy and surprisingly painless. I actually only test now if I think my bloods are too high, or if I'm experimenting with a new food. However, testing will let you see what your boundaries are. I think at this stage, it would be good to get some data together so you know where you are.

Reactions: AngiH and Guzzler

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your husband's reaction is one of denial - it's very tempting to think that the problem will completely resolve itself and you'll not have to make permanent changes - we all hope that at the beginning. However, the truth is that you are always going to have to watch your carb intake and avoid sugar even after you bring your levels down to the normal range. Your body will always have trouble handling certain foods. Have your husband come to your appointments and have him google diabetic complications (the consequence of prolonged high levels) so he can understand why it's important to keep those levels down in the normal range. Hopefully with dietary changes, you'll never get the diagnosis. As others have stated, you are fortunate that you were caught in the prediabetic stage.

Like others in this thread, my diagnosis was a blessing in disguise. I'm so much healthier than I was previously and I feel so much better than I have for many, many years. I was fortunate to be diagnosed with a fairly low number so I've never taken medication. The additional benefit for me was that I've lost quite a bit of weight so far (a lifelong problem as I've been insulin resistant for many years.) My husband eats low carb himself about 80% of the time (he wanted to get healthier too), he's managed to lose the extra weight that put him into the slightly overweight range and is now normal weight. Both of us are so much healthier than we were 6 months ago.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I think my husband realised what he'd said and he is trying to say once I see the doctor Monday we will go from there.. .I think he feels the doctor will say just diet and that's it. To be fair knowing the doctor that's all he will say but I know I'm prediabetic by the blood test and feel rubbish.. .all I wanted to do today was sleep, I was nodding off in the bath haha. Sadly my food is my vice as I've never smoked and don't drink, and giving up the sweet foods is going to be hard...although I love the idea of homemade trifle and I love double cream! I will update once I've seen the doctor but I know I'll get more info and help here. Angie

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The hardest part of giving up sweets is at first. I've had a sweet tooth all my life (I've craved both sweets and carbs.) I found after a bit of time, the cravings lessen considerably and I don't have cravings most of the time. In my case, I can't use artificial sweetener too often because then the sugar cravings start to return. (One square of 90% Lindt chocolate does not spike my blood glucose and I can stop at one - it does not reactivate my sweet cravings.) However, I will do some low carb/sugar free baking this month as I don't want to feel deprived around Christmas.

I have not cheated and eaten any sweets or anything since my diagnosis at the end of June. Although it was hard at first, it's gotten easier and most of the time, I'm not tempted. When I am tempted I think of what high levels can do and that helps me resist.

Reactions: AngiH and Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get the sweet taste from a few berries in double cream or a Greek yogurt.

You may be lucky with your doctor, but somehow I doubt it. They usually follow the NHS mantra of eat anything you like as long as it is in moderation, or will say nothing other than lose weight and exercise more. However, he may be one of the good ones.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get the sweet taste from a few berries in double cream or a Greek yogurt.

You may be lucky with your doctor, but somehow I doubt it. They usually follow the NHS mantra of eat anything you like as long as it is in moderation, or will say nothing other than lose weight and exercise more. However, he may be one of the good ones.

Thank you. He did seem concerned on the phone and said he needs to see me due to my high blood pressure, so maybe he is one of the good ones..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. He did seem concerned on the phone and said he needs to see me due to my high blood pressure, so maybe he is one of the good ones..

Let us know how you go on.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Hi allThats what i did
I am new here and although my reading is only 43 6.1 I'm aware this is prediabetic. I'm not expecting much help from my Doctors especially reading lots of comments in this forum. But my question is, should I consider getting a monitor or not bother unless down the line my readings get worse.
This has come totally out of the blue and I'm trying to get my head round the change ahead, but know it is now I have to act.
Thanks for reading
Hi Angie,
How are you getting on? Expect you are very confused and anxious, I certainly was. Your level is about the same as mine at diagnosis. You might want to consider getting the Carbs and Calorie Counter book, rather than a meter. Thats what I did. The thing to remember is its PreDiabetes. With a bit, or a lot, of effort you can turn this around. Have found following a low carb diet my blood glucose levels have dropped significantly over five months.
As for the comments about doctors, suspect the people with very helpful ones dont need to look for support on the internet, so opinions here might be skewed by that.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you. I think my husband realised what he'd said and he is trying to say once I see the doctor Monday we will go from there.. .I think he feels the doctor will say just diet and that's it. To be fair knowing the doctor that's all he will say but I know I'm prediabetic by the blood test and feel rubbish.. .all I wanted to do today was sleep, I was nodding off in the bath haha. Sadly my food is my vice as I've never smoked and don't drink, and giving up the sweet foods is going to be hard...although I love the idea of homemade trifle and I love double cream! I will update once I've seen the doctor but I know I'll get more info and help here. Angie
You will be delighted to hear that on a Low Carb diet Double cream is nor only encouraged its almost mandatory

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is going to be a rollercoaster, my husband is saying a quick diet and I'll be back to normal and can revert to my normal eating..I'm not sure how true this is, or am I always going to be on that edge of watching etc? He seems to think there is actually nothing wrong with me, not in a bad way. He is the most supportive person, but I think he feels it's not anything to worry about and that I don't need to read into stuff. I think deep down he is trying to keep me calm as I'm a worrier at the best of times...

Yes you need to make changes. but above all DONT PANIC. You can do this.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Angie,
How are you getting on? Expect you are very confused and anxious, I certainly was. Your level is about the same as mine at diagnosis. You might want to consider getting the Carbs and Calorie Counter book, rather than a meter. Thats what I did. The thing to remember is its PreDiabetes. With a bit, or a lot, of effort you can turn this around. Have found following a low carb diet my blood glucose levels have dropped significantly over five months.
As for the comments about doctors, suspect the people with very helpful ones dont need to look for support on the internet, so opinions here might be skewed by that.
Hi
Thank you for your reply. I'm ok and still trying to let it sink in. I will get a monitor as I think it will help me know what's good and bad for me in the early days. It will be hard at first no doubt as my diet is full of carbs...I never realised the impact they have on our body...so it's time to change..

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
The hardest part of giving up sweets is at first. I've had a sweet tooth all my life (I've craved both sweets and carbs.) I found after a bit of time, the cravings lessen considerably and I don't have cravings most of the time. In my case, I can't use artificial sweetener too often because then the sugar cravings start to return. (One square of 90% Lindt chocolate does not spike my blood glucose and I can stop at one - it does not reactivate my sweet cravings.) However, I will do some low carb/sugar free baking this month as I don't want to feel deprived around Christmas.

I have not cheated and eaten any sweets or anything since my diagnosis at the end of June. Although it was hard at first, it's gotten easier and most of the time, I'm not tempted. When I am tempted I think of what high levels can do and that helps me resist.
Maybe fresh double full fat cream, sugar-free jelly and berries will help your cravings

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I was diagnosed Pre-diabetic nearly 2 years ago now. I was testing 3 times a day to see what affected my BS. I did this for 6 months, now I only test 3 times a day, every 3 days. Today after eating lunch my BSL was 5.6 Just under 2 hours of eating, so I must be doing something right. You will get there