Monitor yes or no...

D

Deleted member 308541

A paper wasp was one-off the worst shocks I got after moving to Australia. I thought I’d been stabbed between the shoulder blades (site of the bite). Getting bit on the butt by a bull ant a month after emigrating to Hervey Bay was worse as I had no idea what had happened to me.
I have copped a couple of stings from them, like a red hot needle when you get stabbed in the back of the neck.

Bull ants the friends of no one, they not only bite but rip a bit off if they can.

Reactions: pjayem1964

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have copped a couple of stings from them, like a red hot needle when you get stabbed in the back of the neck.

Bull ants the friends of no one, they not only bite but rip a bit off if they can.
So really a finger prick test is nothing in comparison

D

Deleted member 308541

So really a finger prick test is nothing in comparison
No comparison.
0y4h3.gif

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Is it ok to have tea, after meal, before testing?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If it is what you normally do, then yes of course it is OK. I have a cuppa after each of my meals, and always this is before the 2 hour mark.
this is about 90 mins after meal, am thinking i should wait.

Reactions: Sparkle1953

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is what you normally do, then yes of course it is OK. I have a cuppa after each of my meals, and always this is before the 2 hour mark.
I e experimented with alternative teas. I can’t stand fruit teas. It’s like cordial but weird. However I e found I like herb type teas. Fennel is a favourite and turmeric based ones are good. I like most chai based ones too. The advantage for me is I don’t have the ingrained expectations of milk or sugar in them. I can alternate between these and “normal” tea which necessitates sweetener to it just tastes wrong.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have started a new thread, First test

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I e experimented with alternative teas. I can’t stand fruit teas. It’s like cordial but weird. However I e found I like herb type teas. Fennel is a favourite and turmeric based ones are good. I like most chai based ones too. The advantage for me is I don’t have the ingrained expectations of milk or sugar in them. I can alternate between these and “normal” tea which necessitates sweetener to it just tastes wrong.
Like you dont really enjoy fruit teas, most are too sweet, although will drink ginger based ones, but they are costly. Ordinary tea and coffee, dont take sugar and not a lot of milk, although I realise that a mid-morning coffee contitutes a "snack", am still trying to retain some semblance of normal life.
Did try the Cram-it-all-into-three-meals approach. However my body just doesnt work like that, its used to little and often...After three days of that had to stop eating for two more. Am trying to increase the size of meals slightly and having fewer food snacks. Main difficulty is simply getting enough calories.
Have you tried Earl Grey tea or lady Grey teas? Both are often drunk without milk.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like you dont really enjoy fruit teas, most are too sweet, although will drink ginger based ones, but they are costly. Ordinary tea and coffee, dont take sugar and not a lot of milk, although I realise that a mid-morning coffee contitutes a "snack", am still trying to retain some semblance of normal life.
Did try the Cram-it-all-into-three-meals approach. However my body just doesnt work like that, its used to little and often...After three days of that had to stop eating for two more. Am trying to increase the size of meals slightly and having fewer food snacks. Main difficulty is simply getting enough calories.
Have you tried Earl Grey tea or lady Grey teas? Both are often drunk without milk.
Can’t stand earl grey, tastes “flowery” to me.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@SlimLizzy

i am aware i had weight to lose, in abundance apparently..:rolleyes::D
and you as named require less of the weight loss, and i guess more maintaining or perhaps adding a pound or two ?

Absolutely right. Always been slim, but since i started limiting carbs has been falling off me.
Here is first day of testing and results

Pre breakfast 6.1
Tea, Yoghurt, prunes, almonds, tea calories 364, carbs 16
semi simmed milk (for tea and coffee all day)300ml Calories 149 carbs 15

Post 5.7
coffee

Pre lunch 5.7
Winter veg soup, water, tea. Calories 118, carbs 22

Post meal 5.5

Snack cooked crispy bacon, cup of tea Calories 117, carb 1

Pre dinner 5.3
Dinner roast pork, red cabbage casserole, green beans, carrots and courgettes calories 340 carbs 19
2 glasses prossecco calories 190, carbs 2
530 calories carbs 21

Post meal 4.3
Ok no really carb heavy foods here but still dont understand this at all, thought it is supposed to go up?
Any thoughts?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re eating low enough carb foods that your body is handling them within the two hours ie the spike is earlier than the test and dealt with by then. Job done well.

The only other potential explanation is the carbs are slow release and the spike is coming after 2hrs and you’re missing it. Looking at the foods and the fact you’re prediabetic not full blown and the fact that you are actually dropping not even rising a bit I’d say that’s unlikely. Easily confirmed by a second post meal test a couple of times at 2.5 hrs or 3 hrs.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You’re eating low enough carb foods that your body is handling them within the two hours ie the spike is earlier than the test and dealt with by then. Job done well.

The only other potential explanation is the carbs are slow release and the spike is coming after 2hrs and you’re missing it. Looking at the foods and the fact you’re prediabetic not full blown and the fact that you are actually dropping not even rising a bit I’d say that’s unlikely. Easily confirmed by a second post meal test a couple of times at 2.5 hrs or 3 hrs.
Thanks for this explanation. Will probably try testing a bit earlier tomorrow, and maybe adding some higher carb foods.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like you dont really enjoy fruit teas, most are too sweet, although will drink ginger based ones, but they are costly.

I must confess to liking ginger tea pre T2D.
Suffer with asthma, and advised to try ginger tea.
but we make from scratch..so it's only the cost of the root..depending how you like it, that,
can several or many teas...(i'm told turmeric, similar approach, is nice )

Simply cut about an inch of ginger off.
slice up in several slim pieces
place in pan of water.
bring to boil
then simmer for 10/15 mins.
strain and pour.
i used to add honey ..don't now
i guess a sweetener would suffice
if needed.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I must confess to liking ginger tea pre T2D.
Suffer with asthma, and advised to try ginger tea.
but we make from scratch..so it's only the cost of the root..depending how you like it, that,
can several or many teas...(i'm told turmeric, similar approach, is nice )

Simply cut about an inch of ginger off.
slice up in several slim pieces
place in pan of water.
bring to boil
then simmer for 10/15 mins.
strain and pour.
i used to add honey ..don't now
i guess a sweetener would suffice
if needed.
Great idea, have a piece of ginger needs using, dont know why i didnt think of tea and this is probably a no carb tea. Thanks a lot.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not the best youtube but i does show what i mean about brewing it..glad you liked

youtube and web are your oyster for ideas of recipes for almost anything..:)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not the best youtube but i does show what i mean about brewing it..glad you liked

youtube and web are your oyster for ideas of recipes for almost anything..:)
Have made it previously, just temporarily forgot about making from fresh ginger. Used to make lemon and ginger cordial as well, for childrens coughs and colds.