Monitor yes or no...

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
You need a testing meter, otherwise you will not know how your blood glucose levels are doing after meals.
contradictory advice from doctor, family and here. Very confused and anxious

D

Deleted member 308541

You will find that the greater majority of T2 members of this forum will recommend you get a meter, and test your bgl before and after meals.

Reactions: Ponchu

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine was much the same at first. I think it was his form of denial (probably initiated by my vigorous initial denial) as well as a lack of knowledge. I’ve continuously drip fed him information and he has come to terms with it as have I. Losing the weight he’s longed for me to lose hasn’t hurt him reassess that my new way of eating isn’t a bad thing -for me; he’s a carbaholic with excellent numbers and ridiculously fit and active.
He has supported me totally, and now realises it's not a quick fix. I've lost 10lb since I started on the 3rd Jan and feel great. No hunger, no more than 30g of carbs a day, and hubby is loving all the fresh cooked meals. He is the same, eats carbs all day and fit and slim...but he said to me this morning the change I've made to my eating habits is amazing..

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I got the codefree one. About £12.99 with lancets and strips. Best thing I done.
Have never used one, is it easy? Am a wimp and am expecting it to hurt:chicken:

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rubbish with needles and blood so my husband done the 1st one for me, now I don't even worry about it. Simple and pretty painless as long as you test on the side of your finger. Good luck

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dont mind needles or blood, but the idea of doing it to myself - ugh!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SlimLizzy

Do you LOOK when you cross the road or just wander out hoping you don't get hurt ..?

Similar principle, really.

I liken the damage HIGH blood sugars can do, to a fruit being bruised.
I don't notice it in daily life, but the damage is there,
and for diabetics, we don't heal so well, and bacteria LOVES sweet sugary blood, which we got bucket loads of.

So sadly the bruise worsens if we don't take action, until it becomes noticeable and some action is forced upon us.

The meter helps me REDUCE the possibilities of being BRUISED without knowing.
AND allows me to remove from my diet those things i accidently ate that i now KNOW to be a poorer choice for me.

For me it's like brushing your teeth to prevent them falling out.
you don't notice on a day to day level really..(apart from the fresh minty breath, obviously)
so a small bit of attention to ourselves works wonders in the long run.

Ignore those who say don't test.
Until it's them suffering the consequences of being diabetic, their opinion quite simply does NOT matter.

And even then, see how their health is..very few without the information a meter provides, can manage their BG's as well as we can.
How could they, you can't GUESS every food and it's impact on you personally..:rolleyes:

OH, and testing.
painless..but that first time i was more worried about doing it wrong, then anything else.
And it's a necessary evil...really a simple choice to suck up the hassle now or risk suffering some of the painful.distressing consequence later.

Not guaranteed to happen, but i feel much better playing safe rather then sorry

good luck @SlimLizzy finding a way that works for you.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Taken from a post by @Bluetit1802 as she wrote it so nicely:

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Looked at the link and still dont understand. There seem to be two different scales/ measurements. Which is the best, or most relevant? How do you record the readings? Does it have to be linked to your phone? Not tech savvy so would need it set up for me. What is procedure for testing? Eat a single food? or meal? Measured quantities? Set a timer for testing? Do you have to have special disposal facilities? Could just lead to more confusion and stress. Have more than enough of that just now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looked at the link and still dont understand. There seem to be two different scales/ measurements. Which is the best, or most relevant? How do you record the readings? Does it have to be linked to your phone? Not tech savvy so would need it set up for me. What is procedure for testing? Eat a single food? or meal? Measured quantities? Set a timer for testing? Do you have to have special disposal facilities? Could just lead to more confusion and stress. Have more than enough of that just now.

You have a choice between mg/dl and mmol/l measurements. You need the mmol/l. These are the UK units.

You record the readings where and how suits you best. I record all mine on an excel spread sheet. Others with posh phones use apps. There are dozens of apps to chose from. You do not need to link anything to your phone. I never have done in 5 years. On my excel spread sheet I also record other markers such as blood test results for cholesterol, liver and kidney stuff and so on, plus weight and blood pressure. It is also where I kept my food diary when I was keeping one so I could see instantly which foods I had eaten to give me these finger prick results. There is no need to have anything technical at all. You could even write it all down in a notebook if that suits you best.

Initially, in order to work out which foods cause you problems, you test immediately before you eat and then again 2 hours after first bite. There should be a minimal rise. The maximum rise is 2mmol/l but this is still a bit too much. You can also test at an hour or at 90 minutes after first bite if you want to catch the peak, and if you see a big rise at 2 hours, then you can test again every 30 minutes or so to see how long it takes you to come down. Most people also test as soon as they get up and before any activity in a morning. This is the fasting BG test. Some people also test at bedtime. This is all entirely up to you.

You need to test a full meal, but when first learning it is best to measure quantities so you can change these quantities and try again another day. The purpose of testing at this stage is to learn from what the meter tells you, and apply what you have learnt to your meal choices.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The uk uses mmol as our scale of measurement if that helps. Most meters record a number of tests in their memory. You can get apps for your phone you can enter the readings, food and other data. You can do a spreadsheet. You could write it all down old style in a book.

Testing is usually immediately before eating and 2 hours afterwards and yes an alarm can be helpful if like me you’re easily distracted. Sometimes it’s useful to test for longer than 2 hrs as some foods have a bit of a delayed reaction, eg complex carbs like oats and whole grains and also if there’s a lot of fat in the meal.

You can test meals or single foods. Usually the elements of the meal will be fairly obvious which ones could be the cause of spikes. Next time you ditch that item or reduce the amount and try again.

My meter uses a cartridge not strips so there’s just that to chuck in the bin. My old one had strips. My finger pricked is also a cartridge with 6 pins in it. I dont change them often so not much waste there. It’s also self contained in terms of sharp bits being tucked away. I think the individual ones have a tiny cap to cover the pointy bit. It all just goes in my bin. If I have a convenient container I’ll use that but it’s not a worry. Not really any different to disposing of a plaster or tissue with a few spots of blood on it.

Hope all this reassures you a little.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SlimLizzy

for me.
Codefree.
simple to use
needle (lancet) to pierce skin and sample drop of blood.
Strips..to insert into meter..(slides in easy enough) to test blood
that after 5seconds gives a score of 5.5 mmols for me this morning.
your score and others will vary greatly.

The mmols score on meter is your DAILY score.(mmol uk and europe measure )
the HBA1c is the 3 monthly score..(similar looking but measures are different)
the mg/dl is for international visitors aka USA and others

Mine is NOT linked to phone.
My scores recorded on paper, so i can see trends.

Measuring.
* test BEFORE eating.
* EAT meal..(i'd pick whatever it is, your eating when meter available.
that way you can SEE that the USUAL food you have does NOT raise your BG level.

* mentally ,make a list of the food and the outcome or record on paper.

*2 hours AFTER eating take blood measure again.
A raise of OVER 2.0 mmols is considered bad, and should lead you to work out what food to remove from that dish next time
OR reduce the amount of food on your plate next time..as you are less capable of dealing with the carbs involved, then is healthy for YOU.

Repeat daily for a week or two, making good notes each time.
**always test foods that are NEW to your diet since you started testing

It's a bit of a detective mystery piecing all the bits together to get a proper picture
* of what you CAN eat,
*what you need to be cautious of,
*and what you CAN'T tolerate anymore.

Continue or relax the testing as you see fit, with regard to foods you KNOW do not spike your BG's levels
this can save costs..but i would still test each meal type every few months, so no nasty surprises , as levels and insulin resistance can rise and put previous foods we COULD tolerate well, out of bounds.

No real technical skills required
just a methodical reporting style and the guts to do that first test.
the rest is easy peasy afterwards.

Strip like mentioned literally a plaster with a spot of blood on, so goes in bin
needles (lancets) i reuse mine and replace when blunt, so saves cost there and them, i put in old milk carton.

they'll go to tip next trip out.when its fuller

Hope that helps you somewhat..
Good luck.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm rubbish with needles and blood so my husband done the 1st one for me, now I don't even worry about it. Simple and pretty painless as long as you test on the side of your finger. Good luck
Side or end, Angi?

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Side. Avoid the very tip or the middle of the fingerprint pad.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy

just a thought., and slightly off topic

i am aware i had weight to lose, in abundance apparently..:rolleyes::D
and you as named require less of the weight loss, and i guess more maintaining or perhaps adding a pound or two ?
so we are not identical in many of our needs, but...

as all this happened i was beginning to plan the future re retiring in the next 5/6 years etc.

the costs came into my head of diabetes, as well of testing plus foods.

While i have seen posts re LCHF too expensive, i perhaps haven't really paid too much attention but it doesn't
seem too much at the moment.

i am however looking to buy ingredients for future baking attempts, and that HAS cost extra, but hopefully the experience will be good, and the amounts bought will eke out so i can replace ad hoc, rather buying anew 'wardrobe ' of foods i never knew existed..lol
For those more au fait this might not be a big issue or cost.

However i can say, that eating this way, i remain fuller for longer, so less food gets eaten or bought/wasted
the portions i eat are now almost half of what i used to eat,
so a pricey meal last night, doesn't seem too bad when i consider the left over half (i do cook and divide the meal most times )
is now todays lunch, therefore saving a cost there.

I'd test and get the basic foods i ate regularly covered in the first week's.
that should give you a decent base to plan the weeks meals.
then you could stop and only test NEW foods..and maybe FBG in morning, if you chose.

( if you like to find new recipes atc, that aren't from a Low carb sit or keto, then i would definitely test each meal first off,.
not so sure i'd bother if it was foods i had eaten previously, simply IN a new recipe for such a site..though ???
Eating out...nightmare i suspect.
either pick safe or smile and be nice while others indulge. )

So all in, while the cost of the testing kit can seem highish to start,
i think overall given sensible application and use, the costs balances out
given i buy or need less expensive food.(take aways)

Almost all my food is bought and cooked by me, and a lot of that is vegetables,
and while i can't do that now..(well, not easily)
we live not far from a market so produce is way cheaper then at the supermarkets etc.
and the yellow stickers seem great value at the supermarkets, i just need to find out when they are presented to public,

Just like most things we have to evaluate the benefits and costs as they apply to US.
and for me, i think the meter more then pays it way now,
in regard to me feeling better AND protecting myself in the coming months and years (please god).

good luck.

D

Deleted member 308541

They are easy to use as long as you read the quickstart guide that comes with all meters on how to do it.

A brief sting as the lancet goes in and then retracts, you get worser stings from a paper wasp.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are easy to use as long as you read the quickstart guide that comes with all meters on how to do it.

A brief sting as the lancet goes in and then retracts, you get worser stings from a paper wasp.
A paper wasp was one of the worst shocks I got after moving to Australia. I thought I’d been stabbed between the shoulder blades (site of the bite). Getting bit on the butt by a bull ant a month after emigrating to Hervey Bay was worse as I had no idea what had happened to me.