Monitoring your numbers

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using an android app called Diabetes:M (found it on Google Play). It's free and very informative. Admittedly you need to enter the data manually, but I just input it in from from my Libre reader. It gives all sorts of graphs, pie charts etc, you can enter BG readings, carb intakes, even where you inject and points on your fingers you use to test! It generates good diaries , along with other data reports, that I can email straight over to my DSN at the hospital to view and report back on. Definitely worth having a look at, I think its great for a freebie.

I've been using Diabetes M for years. You can import/export data to a computer and phones. I like the manual method because it is simple and quick. You can also input weight, blood pressure, meals, carbs etc.
I like to keep things simple since over the long term I would get bored. You can also go on theur discussion group if you have questions which is usually dealt with promptly.
I would highly recommend this app for IOS or Android.
MySugar is also a great app with challenges and an emailed report on how you are doing. I is a fun app with a sugar monster that squaks when you report you readings. It. Also provides an estimate of your Hba1C which I find is slightly high.
I prefer Diabetes M and so do my health care oeople. The report layouts are perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There are a wealth of apps out there and they all do the same thing. That is, they record numbers and graph them for you. your best bet is to download a few and play with them. Some of them come with the phone (iHealth), others cost a bit and others are free. Ultimately, they are all still the same as a paper diary with the addition of graphs and as a result, require manual entry of numbers.

Try a few and see what you think!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crikey..I still use pen and paper...I guess that's because I write every detail of my food ie what it is, full details of activity, and any stress etc, even the qty of water that I drink. Mind you, don't like any log books besides the ones that I still have from Accuchek Pump...

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You should look at Diabetes M. It has everything you mentioned and a lot more. It is amazing.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated - I'm set up on Apple Heath and finding it easy to use

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've got apple health, perhaps I ought to have a look at it sometime-oops!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does Apple Health offer any advantages over MySugr? Will it sync from MySugr? I don't want to do any more inputting.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just had a look for you, mysugr says in the app description that is has Apple Health integration :). Think of apple health as a catalog or collection of all your health data from apps. E.g. My jawbone feeds my activity into the steps/ active energy and distance categories. My cgm records my glucose from my dexcom g5 app ( or you can input these manually) and my carbs come from myfitnesspal. Other apps can then feed from them to gain a picture of whats going on.

You can also use Health as a standalone app itself or just view raw data.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Elk Bond that is a good explanation of Apple Health and Similarly S Health by Samsung. They gather data from other apps on devices to give an overall picture.
I'm not an Apple fan although they produce some great products.
Has something to do with my getting burned on my Apple Lisa years ago. $13,000 Dollar computer discontinued after 6 months.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Steveo4 Not that I know of... I personally would go for a dedicated meter as I have seen mixed reviews for the plug into phone types of meters. I fully recommend Accu-Chek Mobile.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there an alternative to ibg star for android users ?

I love Diabetes M. It is a manual entry but only takes seconds.
Also My Sugar is very good.
I'm being asked to test an Accu check Aviva Connect which wirelessly connects to most smart phones. The meter should be here in a couple weeks.
I also love Accu check Mobile which you can down load onto Accu Check 360 via USB.
I actually prefer manual entry, it only takes seconds and you can omit erroneous readings.

steveo4

Have just had a look at a few videos on you tube about the new aviva connect it does look pretty good. How are you finding it ?

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The only problem I find with the diabetes m app is that I can't send my reports to my dsn

Not sure why? It is easy to send direct from a smart phone in 3 different formats.
My health care people love the report which I email in htm. Also they love the layout which includes meals, blood pressure carbs etc.
You can share the reports just like any other file.

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you finding the new Accu Chek connect ?
I don't have the meter yet. It should be here in a couple weeks. It will take a very good meter and app to get me off my mobile and Diabetes M. I downloaded the Connect app on my Note 4 and my laptop plus setup my online account but have to wait before I can test it. It looks interesting so far.
Diabetes M, I just checked and the 3 formats you can use are, html, Xls and PDF. You don't need to buy the premium but I did as a show of support.
The developer is great at getting your questions answered it you have any.
I usually email a 2 week report to myself and them remove the 1st page which is basic personal info and then just send the log book
I