Montezuma chocolate - are the carbs wrong

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been given a bar of Montezuma dark chocolate with almonds and the carb content is 8g per 100g. Ingredients are just cocoa mass and almonds. The carb count looks too low to me.

Their 100% chocolate is 8g carbs also. The M&S 100% that I usually have is 13g carbs per 100g .

Perhaps I am over obsessing about the carbs as the difference is quite small - especially as I would only usually have between 10g and 20g a day but I do like my carb logging to be accurate.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I reckon it’s probably right as almonds contain around 8g carbs per 100g weight so the same as the 100% chocolate.
Nothing wrong with obsessing about carbs, if you’re like me it’s how I remain in control! :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like they may have missed the almonds as the carbs are exactly the same as the 100% choc.. ?
I'm guessing it won't make much difference though. I tried the 100% and hated it no sweetness whatsoever.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker and @Rachox thank you for your replies. You have set my mind at rest and I can add a square or two without worrying.

Good to hear hear that you couldn't detect any sweetness in the 100% @bulkbiker - so the carb count sounds about right.

Actually @Rachox - you are absolutely right that it is how we remain in control. So perhaps it isn't obsessing over carbs but just being very careful and sensible.

Reactions: johnrubinstein

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say the import thing is what it does to your blood glucose.

I’m a great experimenter ;) so this is a superb example of ‘suck it and see’ what happens to your blood glucose.
Personally, I find that my body’s reaction varies a lot depending on the food item, so 8g carbs in Monty Choc may have a different reaction from 8g carbs in another food.

oh, and I have had consistently GREAT bg from Montezuma chocs in the past. Their choc truffles had zero bg impact for me, so long as I didn’t eat an excessive amount of them...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have had at least 4 squares almost everyday for around 2 years (easy source of magnesium). The almond version I accidently picked up once- it was alright.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say the import thing is what it does to your blood glucose.

I’m a great experimenter ;) so this is a superb example of ‘suck it and see’ what happens to your blood glucose.
Personally, I find that my body’s reaction varies a lot depending on the food item, so 8g carbs in Monty Choc may have a different reaction from 8g carbs in another food.

oh, and I have had consistently GREAT bg from Montezuma chocs in the past. Their choc truffles had zero bg impact for me, so long as I didn’t eat an excessive amount of them...
Yes, you are right - the important thing is what it does to your blood sugars. So tested after having 3 little squares and BSs didn't move up at all. I will definitely buy it again - the truffles sound rather nice.

Reactions: Brunneria

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had at least 4 squares almost everyday for around 2 years (easy source of magnesium). The almond version I accidently picked up once- it was alright.
Hadn't realised that dark chocolate was a source of magnesium. So as well as being delicious it is good for you. I am looking forward to trying their 100% dark chocolate - once I have found where to buy it from. No-one sells it in our little market town.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the Montezuma
Hadn't realised that dark chocolate was a source of magnesium. So as well as being delicious it is good for you. I am looking forward to trying their 100% dark chocolate - once I have found where to buy it from. No-one sells it in our little market town.
They have an on line shop my favourite is the orange and cocoa nibs :hungry:
https://www.montezumas.co.uk/search/100

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Hotel Chocolat 100% cocoa did nothing to my BS levels, nor did Montezuma. I have been dropping hints about Christmas presents.....

Reactions: Rachox

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently found the orange oil flavour one on Amazon and and it really made a pleasant change.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently found the orange oil flavour one on Amazon and and it really made a pleasant change.
Can't wait to try this flavour. Back in my carb laden days I used to love orange flavoured chocolates. So good to be able to get flavoured chocolate without sugar - my order arrives tomorrow.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hotel Chocolat 100% cocoa did nothing to my BS levels, nor did Montezuma. I have been dropping hints about Christmas presents.....
I couldn't wait for Christmas. Have also ordered some chocolate truffles - only 7g carbs.