More help needed.

Automon

I posted earlier regarding my high blood sugars and I was overwhelmed on all the replies and great hep received.
during the thread and on many other threads members remark on a low carb diet and also testing before and after a meal which will show up foods that raise the sugar level. I have been doing this with each meal and results do vary a lot. My question is I was told to take my tablets before the meal and then once the meal is completed to measure 2 hours later. Doing this I am finding my levels lower than before the meal, is this the right way to do this or do I not take the tablets before the meal. any advice will be greatly appreciated once again.

Reactions: Cat32

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Automon

your profile isn’t completed, so it doesn’t tell us what your tablets are.
That info is really very important to your question.
Also, the food you are eating, and the blood test results you are getting.

please bear in mind that no one here can give you medical advice or medication dosage advice, so we can’t advise you whether to stop taking your medication.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted earlier regarding my high blood sugars and I was overwhelmed on all the replies and great hep received.
during the thread and on many other threads members remark on a low carb diet and also testing before and after a meal which will show up foods that raise the sugar level. I have been doing this with each meal and results do vary a lot. My question is I was told to take my tablets before the meal and then once the meal is completed to measure 2 hours later. Doing this I am finding my levels lower than before the meal, is this the right way to do this or do I not take the tablets before the meal. any advice will be greatly appreciated once again.
What sort of numbers are you seeing before and after eating? And what are you eating?

Automon

Hi @Automon

your profile isn’t completed, so it doesn’t tell us what your tablets are.
That info is really very important to your question.
Also, the food you are eating, and the blood test results you are getting.

please bear in mind that no one here can give you medical advice or medication dosage advice, so we can’t advise you whether to stop taking your medication.
Hi Brunneria
The medication is 2x Gliclazide mornings and evenings, I was on insulin and half the dosage of tablets and I asked if I could just use the tablets and monitor results which I have been doing. The Dr told me to take 2 in the morning and to eat food afterwards and Early evening I do the same. The people on the forum suggest testing before a meal and 2 hours later this is where I am unsure as I take the tablets and have my meal then measure again 2 hours later.
5.4. 7.4 Chcken and veg
5.2. 11.4 Spam tomatoes chips
5.1. 6.1 Chcken and veg
9.2. 5.8 Omlette veg
8. 5.9 omlette veg spam
7.4 5 Sweet pots chops veg
The above is the readings before and 2hours after.
The helping are normal size not large

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria
The medication is 2x Gliclazide mornings and evenings, I was on insulin and half the dosage of tablets and I asked if I could just use the tablets and monitor results which I have been doing. The Dr told me to take 2 in the morning and to eat food afterwards and Early evening I do the same. The people on the forum suggest testing before a meal and 2 hours later this is where I am unsure as I take the tablets and have my meal then measure again 2 hours later.
5.4. 7.4 Chcken and veg
5.2. 11.4 Spam tomatoes chips
5.1. 6.1 Chcken and veg
9.2. 5.8 Omlette veg
8. 5.9 omlette veg spam
The above is the readings before and 2hours after.
The helping are normal size not large
So what I see is
Chicken and veg = small rise. I would ask what veg? Compared to those readings that go down with similarly described food?
Spam tomatoes and chips - chips are the obvious culprit for the large rise

Automon

So what I see is
Chicken and veg = small rise. I would ask what veg? Compared to those readings that go down with similarly described food?
Spam tomatoes and chips - chips are the obvious culprit for the large rise
It is mixed veg Tomatos brockley carrots. My wonder is that it goes down on some meals I understand the rise when chips were on the menu just tried a few to see what the difference would be then spam in an omelette with no rises, so am I testing the correct way.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It appears you are testing before your meal and 2 hrs later so as we mostly all do

Generally speaking for most people anything carb heavy will provoke the biggest rises

Grains are often the worst so bread flour etc. Potatoes are hot on their heels. For seriously resistant people carrots and other sweeter veg (peas, sweetcorn maybe) might be an issue and with a reading of 163 either you are actually type 1/LADA , a type 2 failing to produce insulin, eating a huge amount of carbs or a very resistant type 2. (Why we questioned your type in the other post!)

Reactions: Automon

Automon

It appears you are testing before your meal and 2 hrs later so as we mostly all do

Generally speaking for most people anything carb heavy will provoke the biggest rises

Grains are often the worst so bread flour etc. Potatoes are hot on their heels. For seriously resistant people carrots and other sweeter veg (peas, sweetcorn maybe) might be an issue and with a reading of 163 either you are actually type 1/LADA , a type 2 failing to produce insulin, eating a huge amount of carbs or a very resistant type 2. (Why we questioned your type in the other post!)
Thanks again HSSS it is very much appreciated.
Before I became ill I will be honest I did not look after the old body and I used to drink coffee with plenty sugar all day and eating not a lot but all the wrong stuff. I now know through the massive help from this forum what and what not to eat my diet has changed to very little sugar until I come off it and practically no carbs and I can see the difference in the last couple of weeks measurements were off the scale of min 37 and it has dropped to the readings I posted earlier this would not have been possible without the help from yourself and other members of this forum. I had a CT scan on the pancreas and all seemed fine. Taking each step day by day but the sight loss is really bugging me and the weakness is slowly improving thanks again for your help

Reactions: HSSS and Brunneria

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hang on a while longer with the eyes before buying anything expensive. Maybe some cheap readers off the shelf in the meantime if desperate

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again @Automon I went to bed early last night, so couldn't respond then.

Looking at your numbers, as you and HSSS have discussed, the chips are obviously the cause of the rise.

But the bg lowering after food is more of a question. Here are your numbers again:

9.2. 5.8 Omlette veg
8. 5.9 omlette veg spam

Those are quite significant decreases in blood glucose at 2 hours.

Of course, it is impossible for anyone on an internet forum to know exactly what is happening, but I can throw out some suggestions, and you can see if you think any of them apply.

- your blood glucose was high before eating because of exercise, or stress, and would have fallen anyway, with the food choices making very little impact because they are low carb
- your body is settling down now that you have been on LC for a while, and is coping much better overall
- your medication (Gliclazide) is working very effectively, alongside the amount of carbohydrate you are now eating
- could these three meals have been higher in fat, and higher in fibre than usual? Sometimes fat and fibre will cause a slower release of glucose.

It could be one or more of these things (I am just speculating) or it could be something else that I haven't thought of.

One thing I will suggest is that you continue to monitor your blood glucose carefully.
Gliclazide is one of those diabetes medications which can cause hypos, and since you have dramatically reduced your carb intake, and your body is still adjusting, then your medication may need adjusting too. Gliclazide comes in several different doses, I believe (not used it myself), so you may need to talk to your doc or nurse about lowering the dose.

In the meantime, do you know what a hypo is? (I expect you were told about them when you were put on the medication)
And are you aware how to treat a hypo?
These last questions are just in case your current low carb eating combined with your current medication, pushes your blood glucose too low.

And finally, I want to congratulate you. What an incredible achievement to lower your blood glucose levels so much. An HbA1c in the 160s is extremely high indeed. To be having readings like this is very impressive. Do you feel any better for it? Or does it feel weird after getting so used to the high levels that these low levels now feel weird?

Automon

Hi again @Automon I went to bed early last night, so couldn't respond then.

Looking at your numbers, as you and HSSS have discussed, the chips are obviously the cause of the rise.

But the bg lowering after food is more of a question. Here are your numbers again:

9.2. 5.8 Omlette veg
8. 5.9 omlette veg spam

Those are quite significant decreases in blood glucose at 2 hours.

Of course, it is impossible for anyone on an internet forum to know exactly what is happening, but I can throw out some suggestions, and you can see if you think any of them apply.

- your blood glucose was high before eating because of exercise, or stress, and would have fallen anyway, with the food choices making very little impact because they are low carb
- your body is settling down now that you have been on LC for a while, and is coping much better overall
- your medication (Gliclazide) is working very effectively, alongside the amount of carbohydrate you are now eating
- could these three meals have been higher in fat, and higher in fibre than usual? Sometimes fat and fibre will cause a slower release of glucose.

It could be one or more of these things (I am just speculating) or it could be something else that I haven't thought of.

One thing I will suggest is that you continue to monitor your blood glucose carefully.
Gliclazide is one of those diabetes medications which can cause hypos, and since you have dramatically reduced your carb intake, and your body is still adjusting, then your medication may need adjusting too. Gliclazide comes in several different doses, I believe (not used it myself), so you may need to talk to your doc or nurse about lowering the dose.

In the meantime, do you know what a hypo is? (I expect you were told about them when you were put on the medication)
And are you aware how to treat a hypo?
These last questions are just in case your current low carb eating combined with your current medication, pushes your blood glucose too low.

And finally, I want to congratulate you. What an incredible achievement to lower your blood glucose levels so much. An HbA1c in the 160s is extremely high indeed. To be having readings like this is very impressive. Do you feel any better for it? Or does it feel weird after getting so used to the high levels that these low levels now feel weird?
Thanks Brunneria
As I am new to this I have received very good info from this site and as far as history goes on my illness it was one day okay next day ill, couldn't lift my legs up to climb stairs, totally exhausted ,weak thirsty etc.now after 2 weeks I asked if I could take tablets only instead of insulin and tablets and they agreed as long as I monitor my levels.. I now do this regularly and my morning level is always around 5-6 so not dropping too low. The change of food has made a massive difference and as you can see from my meals they are low carb. my energy is returning but my sight is still rubbish, I am getting my eyes checked shortly by an optician that works with diabetics that should be interesting. As far as foods go I am still having Brown bread couple of slices a day but that will go if it proves problematic but all in all thanks to the members on this site I have changed my ways for the better. I see the diabetic nurse once per week and we go through all the motions and checking all the results and so far it has been pretty encouraging.
Thanks again for your kind words they really help when the down side hits

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brunneria
As I am new to this I have received very good info from this site and as far as history goes on my illness it was one day okay next day ill, couldn't lift my legs up to climb stairs, totally exhausted ,weak thirsty etc.now after 2 weeks I asked if I could take tablets only instead of insulin and tablets and they agreed as long as I monitor my levels.. I now do this regularly and my morning level is always around 5-6 so not dropping too low. The change of food has made a massive difference and as you can see from my meals they are low carb. my energy is returning but my sight is still rubbish, I am getting my eyes checked shortly by an optician that works with diabetics that should be interesting. As far as foods go I am still having Brown bread couple of slices a day but that will go if it proves problematic but all in all thanks to the members on this site I have changed my ways for the better. I see the diabetic nurse once per week and we go through all the motions and checking all the results and so far it has been pretty encouraging.
Thanks again for your kind words they really help when the down side hits
Your brain's been compensating for the sugar distorting your vision... With your blood sugars going into the normal range, you're bound to have blurred sight for a while. Forget expensive glasses, just get some 2 bob reading glasses to get you through the next week or two. After your vision stabilizes you might need a different prescription if you had glasses before, but don't spend a lot of money right now... It'll take a little time.

Automon

Your brain's been compensating for the sugar distorting your vision... With your blood sugars going into the normal range, you're bound to have blurred sight for a while. Forget expensive glasses, just get some 2 bob reading glasses to get you through the next week or two. After your vision stabilizes you might need a different prescription if you had glasses before, but don't spend a lot of money right now... It'll take a little time.
Thanks JoKalsbeek
I had my eyes checked no more than 6 months ago and they said they were fine and healthy and I would need reading glasses only if required then this happened frightening really.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks JoKalsbeek
I had my eyes checked no more than 6 months ago and they said they were fine and healthy and I would need reading glasses only if required then this happened frightening really.
I know. It WILL get better. Heck, three years down the road I still have reading glasses by my computer. I don't need them, but it was scary to not be able to rely on my eyes, so there they stay. Only took a weer or two, but they were scary weeks!

Automon

I know. It WILL get better. Heck, three years down the road I still have reading glasses by my computer. I don't need them, but it was scary to not be able to rely on my eyes, so there they stay. Only took a weer or two, but they were scary weeks!
Thanks it is very reassuring to know that sight loss is temporary in most cases I will see shortly (pardon the pun not intended) what the optician has to say thanks again for your input.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin so it's quite possible to have a lower BS after a meal when taking it. In fact if your dose is too high you can go hypo so take note. It is quite a good half-way house if your pancreas is still performing to some extent. If you turn out to be a LADA (late onset T1) then you may find you need to keep increasing the dose over the months ahead (with GP approval) and eventually go back on insulin.

Automon

Hi. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin so it's quite possible to have a lower BS after a meal when taking it. In fact if your dose is too high you can go hypo so take note. It is quite a good half-way house if your pancreas is still performing to some extent. If you turn out to be a LADA (late onset T1) then you may find you need to keep increasing the dose over the months ahead (with GP approval) and eventually go back on insulin.
Hi Daibell
Yes its early days yet and get a check up weekly I will be hitting them with more questions as the illness takes its course thanks for the info much appreciated.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are still eating bread and seeing those numbers - even with the tablets, then you might well find that the medication was not really needed, just an alteration in diet would have done the job. Diabetes is not necessarily a progressive illness - but the advice on diet is just abysmally wrong for many people and dooms them to uncontrolled levels of blood glucose and the consequences of that.