More stable?

Hansenguy62

Just told to change my lifestyle so took up low carb diet for 6 days now. Last few days.... woke with reading of 109. 119. 95.
Ate then two hr later 140. Then 3 hr later 108.
Numbers game? Am i doing ok.or soon need the mads offered is the question in my head but i do lile the healthy diet and HAVE been on vacation this week too in hotel eating out etc. So will do better at home i feel

Help with any comments greatly appreciated guys i mean it. X

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Just told to change my lifestyle so took up low carb diet for 6 days now. Last few days.... woke with reading of 109. 119. 95.
Numbers game? Am i doing ok.or soon need the mads offered is the question in my head but i do lile the healthy diet and HAVE been on vacation this week too in hotel eating out etc. So will do better at home i feel

From the perspective of a Type 1 - those readings are pretty good. Considering your 2 hours later test was 140 mg/dL or 7.8 mmol/L for many Type 1s and Type 2s that's usually within target.

Just curious - the after 2 hours of eating test - were you exercising at all during that 2 hours or were you inactive? If you were inactive - in my opinion - that 140 reading isn't too bad but if you were doing a lot of exercise during that time frame and you tested 140, I'd keep an eye on things.

Your best bet at this time is to determine what Carbish foods have the most and least impact on your BG levels. As well try to maintain a good level of physical activity too - this will help in the long run.

All the best.

Reactions: Hansenguy62

Hansenguy62

From the perspective of a Type 1 - those readings are pretty good. Considering your 2 hours later test was 140 mg/dL or 7.8 mmol/L for many Type 1s and Type 2s that's usually within target.

Just curious - the after 2 hours of eating test - were you exercising at all during that 2 hours or were you inactive? If you were inactive - in my opinion - that 140 reading isn't too bad but if you were doing a lot of exercise during that time frame and you tested 140, I'd keep an eye on things.

Your best bet at this time is to determine what Carbish foods have the most and least impact on your BG levels. As well try to maintain a good level of physical activity too - this will help in the long run.

All the best.
Thank you. I ate then walked back to.my hotel stopping at shops etc. Any time for basic foods to start eating.more if? So much info out there its hard to choose the best . Thanks so much

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you. I ate then walked back to.my hotel stopping at shops etc. Any time for basic foods to start eating.more if? So much info out there its hard to choose the best . Thanks so much
To make matters even more complicated - we're not all cut from the same cloth. So what works for one person may not necessarily work for another person.
I have discovered that over time I had to make significant changes because my metabolic rate was changing - it happens to everybody. When I was younger I could get away with eating a lot of things that had a minor impact - not so much once I hit my 50s, where it took longer to digest food and I didn't have to eat as much. On the plus side - I had a much better pay off when I did outdoor physical activities than when I was younger. I can get away with not having to give a shot based on my level of physical activity while maintaining a normal BG level. I'm convinced that's why I've done so well with my diabetes - long term physical activity is key!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a non medicated type two I just stick to low carb foods and I'm fine - no high blood glucose readings normal Hba1c - I do more activities and a bit more exercise these days but that is because I want to rather than as part of the treatment - and because I can - this time last year I was using walking poles all the time due to the painful joints. The poles have been retired for some time now.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, just to check. Are you t2d? And do you ake any other medication? Either from the doctor or self bought? Any other medical conditions?

Hansenguy62

Hi, just to check. Are you t2d? And do you ake any other medication? Either from the doctor or self bought? Any other medical conditions?
He told me im entering type 2 at a reading of 6.5 but being retested in 4 months hence drastic diet changes. No meds. No other meds no

Hansenguy62

To make matters even more complicated - we're not all cut from the same cloth. So what works for one person may not necessarily work for another person.
I have discovered that over time I had to make significant changes because my metabolic rate was changing - it happens to everybody. When I was younger I could get away with eating a lot of things that had a minor impact - not so much once I hit my 50s, where it took longer to digest food and I didn't have to eat as much. On the plus side - I had a much better pay off when I did outdoor physical activities than when I was younger. I can get away with not having to give a shot based on my level of physical activity while maintaining a normal BG level. I'm convinced that's why I've done so well with my diabetes - long term physical activity is key!
Awesome. Same here

Hansenguy62

Im not diagnosed t2 byt was offered meds to lower my sugar. I declined. Im on cozar 100 mg for mild bp hypertention. Very active in gym and running 3 times per week

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im not diagnosed t2 byt was offered meds to lower my sugar. I declined. Im on cozar 100 mg for mild bp hypertention. Very active in gym and running 3 times per week

Did your gp say why he thought you needed to lower your bgl? If you are not diabetic it seems odd to give you medication for a disease you do not have.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My advice is try to reduce and cut snacks ultimately, or snack on items such as anything ending in berry, or yogurts (full fat), meat, fish, nuts (minimise cashews and peanuts more than other types) eat above ground vegetables - these are regular meal items with salads also.

Test before and after your meal selections, keep and diary (very important, you can refer to what worked and what you did).

I would includes seeds especially flax and pumpkin, spices such as turmeric, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Drink water, teas and maybe black coffee. Try to fast for at least 12 to 16 hours before the last meal (perhaps around 17.00 - 19.00) and when you break - fast and, walk after meals, do some resistance exercises (HiiT), sleep consistently (very important), meditate. Make as much of this normal for you and tweak and you will definitely see improvements.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You certainly have more control at home. Eating out is a bit of a minefield. Had lunch the other day - beef and vegetables - but had gravy and peas too. 1 hour 8.7. Flour in the gravy and sugar in the peas I guess.

Hansenguy62

My advice is try to reduce and cut snacks ultimately, or snack on items such as anything ending in berry, or yogurts (full fat), meat, fish, nuts (minimise cashews and peanuts more than other types) eat above ground vegetables - these are regular meal items with salads also.

Test before and after your meal selections, keep and diary (very important, you can refer to what worked and what you did).

I would includes seeds especially flax and pumpkin, spices such as turmeric, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Drink water, teas and maybe black coffee. Try to fast for at least 12 to 16 hours before the last meal (perhaps around 17.00 - 19.00) and when you break - fast and, walk after meals, do some resistance exercises (HiiT), sleep consistently (very important), meditate. Make as much of this normal for you and tweak and you will definitely see improvements.
Awesome. Ty

Hansenguy62

Did your gp say why he thought you needed to lower your bgl? If you are not diabetic it seems odd to give you medication for a disease you do not have.
He said my last three year blood work showed a climb from 5.0 to 6.5 and offered meds to stop it raising any more he said i was pre diabetic . I declined and made diet lifestyle change.