1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Morrisons salad bar

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by vekay, Mar 9, 2017.

1. vekay

vekay Type 2 · Member

Hi folks

I was a big fan of the Morrisons salad bar which I used to have when grabbing a quick work lunch.

Since diagnosed, I thought I would check if it was diabetic friendly and the result was shocking.

Before the meal my level was 4.8 and after the salad my level was 10.2 !!

This is what I had in a medium box

Grated carrot, sweet corn, boiled egg, two falafels, sweet peppers, one cherry tomato, cucumber, bean salad, chick peas salad.

Any ideas on what in that list could have spiked me so much ? I left out of most the high carb items like pasta etc.

Cheer
    Vjay

2. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Most likely the beans @vekay , pulses can be a bit carby depending on the type. Chickpeas are also about 60% carbohydrate but of course I don't know the relative portion sizes.

How many carbohydrates are in the 'medium' size box?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

What were the salads dressed with? We have had to walk away from salad bars because everything is soaked in honey dressings etc. As you get used to a low sugar diet, you will taste it immediately, but, perhaps, at first you won't notice it so much so may eat without thinking.
    Sally

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

For me corn, carrots and falafel would spike me as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Chickpeas have 61 gms of carbohydrates per 100 gms, and falafels have 31 gms of carbs per 100 gms.. I think the beans would also be high in carbs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Sweetcorn is a grain, the beans and peas are high carb - when I want a salad I chose from the prepacked salad stuff - as it has the carb content on the back.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Chickpeas, corn, carrots, falafel and even potentially peppers to a smaller degree.

I tend to just go for lettuce, some sort of protein and a few raw veg like onion, mushrooms, cabbage and then a creamy dressing but they too can have sugar or worse HFCS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. vekay

vekay Type 2 · Member

Thanks for all the replies. The only slight issue is that the salad bar has no nutrition information and so its difficult to eliminate the high carb items. I have decided to not bother anymore with that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've had salads from our local M.

I have always had higher than ideal levels, but not as high as yours. I'm wary of the coleslaws especially the fruity one, because the mayos are often sweetened. And I avoid the carby pasta, sweet corn, potatoes, felafel...

Actually, now I think about it, I am trying to remember what I DO have...

Salad leaves, peppers, cucumber, grated carrot, 2-3 hard boiled eggs, a blob of the plainest coleslaw, one new potato, in mayo, topped with grated cheese and those weird bacon sprinkles.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

For me, everything but the boiled egg, peppers, cucumber and cherry tom. Also any dressing on it.
    Was there a nutrition label on the box? If so, the total carbs amount will be there.

11. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would blame dressing. Its better to buy a ready green salad in a plastic box and make your own dressing of mayo and lemon

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Oooo....I make loads of mayo based dressing but never thought of jus lemon. Betting some basil in there would be wonderful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love lemon in salads. Any combination works lemon+olive oil, lemon+mayo. lemon+mustard+olive oil :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Haha. I just used mayo, both lemon and basil infused olive oil, asquueze of lemon slice and a bunch of fresh basil on my shrimp. Tonight I'll try it on egg salad!!! . I just blend mustard and mayo. Or hot sauce, horseradish. The list goes on. I'm a mayo junky!!! Love lemon too.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook