Prediabetes Motorcycling causing BG to rise ?

Karl01325

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that stress can drive BG higher. I’ve noticed that several hours after riding and post prandial that BG is generally higher. Most days I don’t ride the PP number is low 7s to low 6s, but on riding days it can top 9. I tend to drink less liquid while I’m out on a long ride, but I’m not eating anything different to a would on a day when I’m not riding. All things being equal I’m suspecting it’s the stress of riding ?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that stress can drive BG higher. I’ve noticed that several hours after riding and post prandial that BG is generally higher. Most days I don’t ride the PP number is low 7s to low 6s, but on riding days it can top 9. I tend to drink less liquid while I’m out on a long ride, but I’m not eating anything different to a would on a day when I’m not riding. All things being equal I’m suspecting it’s the stress of riding ?
That or the adrenaline.

Bear in mind, riding a bike, as you well know, requires a lot more attention to the ride, than if driving a car, imho.

The constant readjustment of speeds might be the same, but I'd say the reaction times, rapidity & sheer exhilaration are of a magnitude several levels higher for Riders V Drivers.

I don't ride since an accident, so I can't check that out for you, sadly.

But I never really noticed that myself, but I wasn't looking for it, tbh.

If it isn't the fact, each ride perhaps consists of any extra 'treat' if meeting up with friends for instance ?

I'd say, like exercise (and the physicality of riding qualifies, in my book ) the exertion combined with stress/good obs & big cheesy grin after a ride

Do seem like very likely suspects.

Be interesting what other bikers make of it ....mmhh.

Travel safe, my biker friend.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any stress, fun or not, raises my BGs. Having tested extensively to establish that for me it is a normal response, I'm not concerned about it. I think what is more important is how long it takes to revert to normal BG, again different for all of us, and having been a real adrenaline junkie in the past (and would still be if I only could) I know it takes a long time for the feelgood hormones to disperse, so presumably also for BG to revert to normal. You pays yer money and takes yer choice is the way I see it.

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I agree with the rest, stress Adrenalin etc,, open face helmet eating bugs ..lol but if you were at 7 and ended at 9 I wouldn’t be too concerned

Reactions: jjraak