Type 1 Moving to Berlin

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had advice for moving from the UK to Germany (Berlin specifically) as a UK citizen...how does their health service work? could I get insulin on prescription if I didn’t have German citizenship? how much would insulin cost?

Thanks! Cara :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only member I can think of in Germanyis @ziggy_w . She may be able to offer some info regarding the German health service, and perhaps will know of someone to advise regarding insulin.

Reactions: cara.lloyd

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had advice for moving from the UK to Germany (Berlin specifically) as a UK citizen...how does their health service work? could I get insulin on prescription if I didn’t have German citizenship? how much would insulin cost?

Thanks! Cara :)

Hi Cara and welcome to the forums. All my research suggests that insulin in Germany is relatively cheap (at least for those immigrants from the US who have stayed there just because they don't have to worry about being able to afford their insulin there) but you will need health insurance if you stay there

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad

may be able to help. Good luck

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for tagging me, @Pipp, and welcome to the forum, @cara.lloyd. I hope I might be able to help a bit with information.

If you move to Germany for work, you have to sign up for health insurance. Your employer will usually do this for you, but may ask you what type of insurance you would like to have (the basic choice is between public and private, but within each group also different carriers). The cost of insurance is for public insurance carriers around 13% and 14% of gross income and is shared between employer and employee. Once you are insured, all health care is basically free (does not include elective procedures or consultations), however, there is usually a prescription fee of somewhere between 2 to 5 Euros for each prescription. For private insurance, you will be billed privately, however (as is probably true in other countries, too), you will be reimbursed by your insurance.

Let me know if I can answer further questions for you.

Reactions: Pipp and cara.lloyd

cara.lloyd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for tagging me, @Pipp, and welcome to the forum, @cara.lloyd. I hope I might be able to help a bit with information.

If you move to Germany for work, you have to sign up for health insurance. Your employer will usually do this for you, but may ask you what type of insurance you would like to have (the basic choice is between public and private, but within each group also different carriers). The cost of insurance is for public insurance carriers around 13% and 14% of gross income and is shared between employer and employee. Once you are insured, all health care is basically free (does not include elective procedures or consultations), however, there is usually a prescription fee of somewhere between 2 to 5 Euros for each prescription. For private insurance, you will be billed privately, however (as is probably true in other countries, too), you will be reimbursed by your insurance.

Let me know if I can answer further questions for you.

Thank you so much! That was really helpful :D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I spent three weeks in Berlin many years ago, I'm aware that it has changed a lot since the wall came down, but it is a beautiful city and plenty to see and do.
And from talking to others who have worked there, the nightlife, food, and the bier gardens are very good. The Berliners are very welcoming.

As @ziggy_w said, if you work there, medical insurance is a must. I'm not sure if it works out cheaper pounce you have paid taxes.

Enjoy the city. There is plenty to see and do.