Mumps!

imalittlefishy

Hi everyone, I'm 19 yrs old, T1 and at university...and despite having had all my vaccines, you've guessed it, I've managed to get mumps! At the moment I'm not feeling too awful, though I do look like a hamster, but I imagine it will get worse over the next few days, and I've been told that it can make you lose your appetite/ make chewing and swallowing painful which obviously will have an effect on my diabetes, but does anyone know if it will affect it in other ways? Or if diabetes affect mumps? And does anyone have any suggestions for some nice soft foods I might be able to stomach better than my usual diet?
Maggie

Clairslloyd

Am sorry Maggie not able to help you but someone more in tune should be able to help you soon. Sounds awful tho and hope you get it sorted :D

ally5555

hi - I can understand how you are feeling -I got mumps when I first started working for the nhs and tbh everyting I tried to eat hurt!
I found liquids better so you might want to try milky drinks and other drinks with carbs - if you are on insulin which I am assuming. You want to eat anything that does not need chewing as that is causing the pain!
This goes against everything you should not eat but you need to ensure you do not have a hypo - so ice cream, jelly, yogurt , soup.

Do you have a carb counter that includes drinks.

Alot of young people your age missed the second dose of the mmr - my kids did so I took them back for it !

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
poor you - I got mumps last year (I was 42!) and it wasn't nice!

I had lots of liquids and soups - I made my own - but I am sure there must be some out there which aren't too high in carbs.

How about scrambled eggs as well and as you feel a little better maybe some nice salmon?

It wasn't great - but I only felt really poorly for a couple of days - the swelling was not great for about a week - but I found taking painkillers helped and lots and lots of water!

Hope you feel better soon

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Don't go near any men - if they catch it, particularly later in life, it can affect their testicles and make them sterile! :shock:

Some commercial canned soups eg cream of chicken are not too high in carbs, and are very soothing. Scrambled eggs definitely, perhaps with grated cheese in? Have you ever drunk hot Oxo, or Bovril? (Crumble Oxo cube into mug, top up with hot water). Sorry, I forgot to check whether you're vegetarian.

The trouble is, most easy-to-eat sick-room food is like rice pudding - high in carbs. Can you tolerate porridge?

Plenty of fluids - maybe squeeze a lemon into hot water, sweeten with splenda, for a change?

Get well soon!

Viv :)

imalittlefishy

Thanks for the advice everyone, yes I am on insulin and yes I am a vegetarian! Ally, I know quite a few of my friends didn't get the top up but my mum is a practice nurse and so always has been very keen on getting us immunised for everything lol, and I've definitely had mine...pretty bad luck on my part. Viv, rice pudding is a good suggestion, I wouldn't have thought of that. As to staying away from men, it's pretty difficult considering I live with 4 boys! One of them went home last week with mumps, I think if the rest of my housemates don't develop symptoms over the next few days they'll be fine. The problem is that we're all so close together at uni...we're heading for a small epidemic at my college :S
xx

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I am absolutely NOT being patronising here, so forgive me, but can you cook rice pudding? A couple of tablespoons of pudding rice, 1 pint milk, sweetener of whatever sort to taste, nutmeg, cinnamon, a knob of butter, stir together in a big dish and put in a slow oven (Gas mark 2, can't remember electric!) until it's done. Take out and stir occasionally unless you like skin.

I only ask 'cos in my experience many people don't know how to cook these old-fashioned puddings. Mind you, the tinned stuff isn't bad!

Oh - and custard! Those big cartons of ready-made custard - slides down a treat!

Ground rice pudding is good too.

Viv :)

imalittlefishy

Haha no offence taken, I have never made homemade rice pudding! Seems like it might be a skill worth learning in my week long isolation, thanks for the recipe! The tinned stuff is good though, and I'm a massive custard fan...mmm :)
xx

ally5555

That was bad luck getting it after the second jab but you are right about being in uni and everyone getting it!

I must say it was vety painful and chewing started it off.

It will last about a week I guess .

Get well soon

Ally