Muscle cramps

JulianneinNC

Hi everyone! My first day here. I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question that none of my doctors can seem to answer. I have been having severe, excruciating muscle cramps in my hands up to my elbows, in my feet, calves, and hamstrings. My magnesium & potassium were both fine on my latest labs. My calcium was a little low, but I take calcium supplements (1200mg plus D per day). I have upped that to 1800. No relief. I am drinking tonic water. Eating bananas, I know, I know but at this point I'll try everything and anything. They happen mostly at night but during the day too. I consulted Dr. Internet and he said that insulin can sometimes cause this. Well, I've been on insulin for 10 years. 12 units daily of Lantus. I do not take a fast acting because I am very sensitive and it will drop me into the 40's immediately even using a sliding scale. If I run high, I just exercise and drink lots of water to bring it down. Anyone else having this problem? My doctor's just put me on a muscle relaxer. I take enough pills and I don't want anymore. I don't want a quick fix and they don't help anyway. I want to know why! Anyone know what's going on??? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a bunch!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was making up some shelves last night and got cramp - it was solved by drinking a quantity of water.
I had always thought that cramps were caused by a lack of minerals but that has never proved true, if I take a drink of plain water they ease off almost instantly and a second one usually keeps them off at least for a while, but I put a third cup full close by so I can grab it if required.

Reactions: coby

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Can't help with the muscle cramps apart from offering the obvious possible cause, your medication ?
Anyway just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are doing your best for yourself so I'm not surprised you're frustrated with it.
Are you exercising LOTS?
I'm T2 and on a LCHF diet, very low carbs, no diabetes meds (and no booze at the moment too!)
I do plenty of exercise (walking / cycling) because my circulation is a bit dicky, then I get cramps, often calfs, sometimes hands. Despite drinking lots of fluid I still get cramps.
If I have a quiet / slow exercise day I rarely get cramps.
Have you had your circulation checked?
I get twitchy muscles too sometimes after exercise, calfs mainly, that I think is a combination of circulation and possibly nerve problems from my back.
I've no idea where you stand in relation to all this, but it may nudge you or your doc to look elsewhere for a solution for you.
Best of luck.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read about your cramp problems.
Eating bananas, I know, I know but at this point I'll try everything and anything.
If you are on insulin and managing your levels, there is nothing wrong with bananas. Do not feel guilty about eating them.

Everyone has insulin. People without diabetes make their own insulin. Insulin does not cause cramps However, there may be something added to injected insulin which may be causing problems. Different injected insulins are made differently with different additives.
Have you tried an alternative to Lantus to rule it out being the cause?
I know others have had problems with it.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi everyone! My first day here. I hope everyone is doing well. I have a question that none of my doctors can seem to answer. I have been having severe, excruciating muscle cramps in my hands up to my elbows, in my feet, calves, and hamstrings. My magnesium & potassium were both fine on my latest labs. My calcium was a little low, but I take calcium supplements (1200mg plus D per day). I have upped that to 1800. No relief. I am drinking tonic water. Eating bananas, I know, I know but at this point I'll try everything and anything. They happen mostly at night but during the day too. I consulted Dr. Internet and he said that insulin can sometimes cause this. Well, I've been on insulin for 10 years. 12 units daily of Lantus. I do not take a fast acting because I am very sensitive and it will drop me into the 40's immediately even using a sliding scale. If I run high, I just exercise and drink lots of water to bring it down. Anyone else having this problem? My doctor's just put me on a muscle relaxer. I take enough pills and I don't want anymore. I don't want a quick fix and they don't help anyway. I want to know why! Anyone know what's going on??? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a bunch!

I have had a similar problem for months, and all my doctor can suggest is stretching exercises before bedtime and drinking tonic water. Yes, I am in agony often in bed at night. I am on Levemir and Novorapid. 5 units of levemir a day, and 1 unit of novorapid with lunch and dinner usually.
The doctor does not seem to have much idea of how to solve this problem, and what she has suggested does not work.

JulianneinNC

I have had a similar problem for months, and all my doctor can suggest is stretching exercises before bedtime and drinking tonic water. Yes, I am in agony often in bed at night. I am on Levemir and Novorapid. 5 units of levemir a day, and 1 unit of novorapid with lunch and dinner usually.
The doctor does not seem to have much idea of how to solve this problem, and what she has suggested does not work.
Same for me...stretching, tonic water, and muscle relaxers. Well, here I am at almost 2:30am wide awake with muscle cramps. I also stay really hydrated. I don't think there is anything the doctors can do. :( Thanks for replying. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Julianne

Reactions: LionChild

JulianneinNC

Sounds like you are doing your best for yourself so I'm not surprised you're frustrated with it.
Are you exercising LOTS?
I'm T2 and on a LCHF diet, very low carbs, no diabetes meds (and no booze at the moment too!)
I do plenty of exercise (walking / cycling) because my circulation is a bit dicky, then I get cramps, often calfs, sometimes hands. Despite drinking lots of fluid I still get cramps.
If I have a quiet / slow exercise day I rarely get cramps.
Have you had your circulation checked?
I get twitchy muscles too sometimes after exercise, calfs mainly, that I think is a combination of circulation and possibly nerve problems from my back.
I've no idea where you stand in relation to all this, but it may nudge you or your doc to look elsewhere for a solution for you.
Best of luck.
I walk for exercise (bad knees) and sometimes a stationary bike if the weather is ******. I don't drink at all because I'm recovering alcoholic. My blood pressure is always around 110/70 so I don't think that's the issue. Heart and lungs always sound fine. I feel everything in my feet and hands, no numbness. I'm clueless. Thanks for answering. Best wishes to you and yours.

JulianneinNC

I walk for exercise (bad knees) and sometimes a stationary bike if the weather is ******. I don't drink at all because I'm recovering alcoholic. My blood pressure is always around 110/70 so I don't think that's the issue. Heart and lungs always sound fine. I feel everything in my feet and hands, no numbness. I'm clueless. Thanks for answering. Best wishes to you and yours.
Oh and I exercise 4-5 times a week for 30-45 minutes but I do piddle in the flower garden quite a bit.

JulianneinNC

I was making up some shelves last night and got cramp - it was solved by drinking a quantity of water.
I had always thought that cramps were caused by a lack of minerals but that has never proved true, if I take a drink of plain water they ease off almost instantly and a second one usually keeps them off at least for a while, but I put a third cup full close by so I can grab it if required.
Wow, maybe I should do that so I can get off meds!!! It's a thought. But I do like my occasional fruit!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jonathan183 has made a very good suggestion regarding salt. I have had horrible cramps all my life until now. In the 1960s I was prescribed salt tablets for it but got scared of salt because it is so bad for us so lowered my salt and the nightly cramps came back.

I recently read an interesting book called the Salt Fix and stopped restricting salt. No more cramps. Also my resting heart rate dropped to normal - which was such a relief as I was getting quite worried about it. I had no idea that restricting salt caused a raised resting heart rate.

I was on insulin between 2012 and 2016 and it didn't make the cramps more frequent.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
What about your diet? You may well know that many on here favour LCHF, both for weight control and glucose management.
Perhaps there's something in your diet that's upsetting your equilibrium.
Really well done for managing your alcohol problems. I did notice that those with liver problems can get cramps. Don't know, just chucking ideas around.
It's particulaly galling because you seem to be making such an effort.
Hang on in there.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, maybe I should do that so I can get off meds!!! It's a thought. But I do like my occasional fruit!
I have been low carbing for almost 5 years now, and I know that it is reasonably optional now - I don't refer to it when posting to newly diagnosed as some think that a week of normal numbers means its all over.
I can eat berries a couple of times a week, or a couple of grapefruit - even indulge in a shop bought ice cream a couple of times a year, - if I did so on two consecutive days my weight would have increased by the third - I don't have to check, it is what it has always done.
If testing shows that you can cope with the level of carbs you set yourself then it doesn't really matter where they come from. I chose to have the option of an ice cream by the sea in midsummer rather than an indulgence on a weekly basis..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jonathan183 has made a very good suggestion regarding salt. I have had horrible cramps all my life until now. In the 1960s I was prescribed salt tablets for it but got scared of salt because it is so bad for us so lowered my salt and the nightly cramps came back.
I recently read an interesting book called the Salt Fix and stopped restricting salt. No more cramps. Also my resting heart rate dropped to normal - which was such a relief as I was getting quite worried about it. I had no idea that restricting salt caused a raised resting heart rate.
I was on insulin between 2012 and 2016 and it didn't make the cramps more frequent.

Who told you such a strange thing?
Salt isn't bad for us.
Yes, constantly eating too much is not good, but as you found out we need some salt - the word salary comes from the salt allowance paid to Roman soldiers.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who told you such a strange thing?
Salt isn't bad for us.
Yes, constantly eating too much is not good, but as you found out we need some salt - the word salary comes from the salt allowance paid to Roman soldiers.
Yes, I realise now that salt isn't bad for us but for ages followed the Government guidelines about cutting down on salt. I have never liked salt that much so it was really easy to do.

Low salt guidelines have now been binned - they have joined the Eatwell Plate - which I binned sometime around 2017.

I suppose, what worried me was that my dad was younger than me when he died of a heart attack and government propaganda linked salt to heart attacks. So it seemed logical to cut down on salt. What is a bit bonkers about my logic was that my Dad didn't eat much salt at all.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have suffered the same as you. Almost by chance I found out that if I stop drinking diet drinks or eating foods with artificial sweeteners in them, the cramps stop. Unfortunately, even some sugar based drinks, which we shouldn’t be having anyway, have artificial sweetener as well as the sugar so it really cuts down your options. I’m now drinking even more plain water.
Also, my doctor prescribed me quinine sulphate tablets which have a lot more quinine than gallons of tonic water. I don’t take them all the time or anything like it but if I do get a agonising cramp in the night, taking one helps in about 20 minutes and almost almost prevents any recurrence that night. As always, what works for me might not work for anyone else but there are probably a lot of people out there drinking diet drinks to lower their BG. If you try it, let me know if it works for you.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I only ever seem to get cramp when I’ve been on a 12 1/2 hr shift. I was on annual leave last week never got cramp but back at work yesterday and I got cramp in bed last night! It’s very frustrating!