My BG results

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last July my HbA1c was 81, in September it was tested again and again it was 81. Re-tested recently and my HbA1c is now 50. My weight has gone from 117kg to 111kg since September. Blood pressure is normal. The only down side is my cholesterol has gone up to 5.1, I didn't want to tell my DN that I had been trying to follow a LCHF diet and I have not been taking any statins. But overall I am happy with these results, hopefully it will continue. Though I am finding the changes to my diet hard and expensive.

Reactions: dbr10 and MelissaC

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your HbA1c improvement and weight loss Billy! My HbA1c and weight have both come down on low carb eating. Similar to you my cholesterol has gone up a little. I have managed to fight off Statins so far. My one main argument is that weight loss can cause cholesterol numbers to deteriorate then stabilise again when weight stabilises. I’m also worried about side effects one being that they can put blood sugars up!

Reactions: Billy7764

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is excellent progress. :)

Before you accept that total cholesterol of 5.1 is a "downside", have a look at the cholesterol breakdown. (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides). The total is just that, a total of the good cholesterol and the bad cholesterol. You need to know the levels of each component - it could well be that your bad cholesterol has gone down and your good cholesterol has gone up!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Very well done. Also ask your surgery for the ratio of Triglycerides to HDL. Remember the expense is an investment which has already got you on the cusp of pre-diabetic. This time next year....(or even in 6 months....)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last July my HbA1c was 81, in September it was tested again and again it was 81. Re-tested recently and my HbA1c is now 50. My weight has gone from 117kg to 111kg since September. Blood pressure is normal. The only down side is my cholesterol has gone up to 5.1, I didn't want to tell my DN that I had been trying to follow a LCHF diet and I have not been taking any statins. But overall I am happy with these results, hopefully it will continue. Though I am finding the changes to my diet hard and expensive.

Congratulations mate!

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your cholesterol is hardly high - the expectations seem very unrealistic particularly after losing weight cholesterol rises - it is involved in moving fat out of cells and to the liver to be used - so less is not a good thing if looked at from the point of view of it being a fat transporter.
What do you find expensive about eating low carb?
I know if you each fillet steak and chicken breast, salmon and the like bills can be high, but there are less expensive options which are tastier in some cases.